Scuba's 4 Ficar IB3 18 Manifold - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 04-09-13, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Steve Bishop

Scuba's 4 Ficar IB3 18 Manifold

I have a thread on-going over at the cult, but thought I'd share the details here.

Room is 14.75' Wide by 16.5' deep with 7.75' height.

Theater/Room details can be seen here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post604692

The front of the theater is an exterior wall so the IB couldn't have gone there. I have a rather large storage section to the left of my theater. In fact the whole left and most of the backside of the theater is surrounded by storage/unfinished space. I did not calculate the VAS, as I knew I had way more than 10x.

I'm on limited funds. I already had a Behringer EP1500 and I've already ordered 2 of the 4 drivers. The other 2 can hopefully come later this summer. I will be planning to upgrade to an EP2500/EP4000 when I make that jump.

I've already built the manifold and have built it for the 4 drivers. Outer MDF and Inner Plywood. At this point I'm just waiting on the drivers. Today marks the 20th business day. In the meantime I'm working on the grill/cover and other details.

I also have ordered a UMM6 mic from Cross Spectrum Labs (yet to use it) and will be EQing the subs when the time comes with a miniDSP 2x4 balanced (advanced plug-in).

On to the images:

Cad mockup and sanity check

rough location, I actually ended up moving it up higher:

Sketchup Models for further sanity check. (I drew the boards one by one and then moved them into the assembly)

Manifold Outer

Inner screwed and glued to the outer:

Finding center with offset from center to allow for brace

Router Circle Jig Pivot(Milescraft tool from Home Depot/Lowes)

Recessed inset being machined

Finished Cutout

With my 2year old (hell be 3 next month) shown for reference. He's in the 95th percentile for height so he probably doesn't make a good reference.

Test fit into final resting spot. All of the boxes around will be relocated. Manifold won't be attached until I get the drivers.

What it currently looks like on the other end. I'm working on the grill this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-09-13, 08:17 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: Scuba's 4 Ficar IB3 18 Manifold

Very impressive room and setup, thanks for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 23 Old 04-10-13, 08:10 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looks good. Can't wait to hear what you're impressions are of the sound.

We're all in this together!

post #4 of 23 Old 04-24-13, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Steve Bishop

Got word that my drivers shipped and should be here Friday. Went ahead and placed the order for the 2nd pair. Fi ended up honoring the 4 driver discount. While waiting for the drivers I went ahead and finished up the grill aspect

I already had GOM fabric covered OC703 absorption on the first reflection, so I made a "panel" that is basically a frame with some left over fabric I had. Now, it basically looks as it did before, except there is a big hole in the drywall with the IB manifold behind it.

Low light iphone5 pictures inbound:

I initially planned to do some elaborate magnet feature with a hinge for "easy" access but was concerned about the IB blowing it off so after I already had the frame wrapped I ended up having to pull the fabric back to put some threaded bolts in. These bolts are held into the frame with a nut that serves double purpose as a slight standoff from the wall. Then I use simple wingnuts on the opposite side of the drywall to hold the panel in place. It's easily removeable for access and yet it's firm enough that it should withstand whatever the IB throws at it.

post #5 of 23 Old 04-25-13, 01:07 PM
Senior Shackster
bg

! Are those 18 FOOT woofers? I can't even see your son in the 'for size reference' pic! JK, I'm sure you just got your pics mixed up.

Are those other sub woofers I see in your room? Will these be added to complement or replace? What do you have now?
post #6 of 23 Old 04-25-13, 02:08 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

That is going to give you some serious bass!

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

post #7 of 23 Old 04-25-13, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Steve Bishop

Quote:
bgarcia17 wrote: View Post
! Are those 18 FOOT woofers? I can't even see your son in the 'for size reference' pic! JK, I'm sure you just got your pics mixed up.

Are those other sub woofers I see in your room? Will these be added to complement or replace? What do you have now?
Here's the image, not sure what happened.

These are being added to replace. I don't really care much for the cheap-o sony's. Down the line I may compliment but one of the advantages for doing the IB was to take some of the box clutter out of the room.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-25-13, 06:10 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Awesome! I'm finding that the 2x4 wall needs additional cross bracing in my install to minimize vibration. In your case, that would mean installing 2x4 blocking between vertical members every couple feet or so floor to ceiling, at least for the studs adjacent to your manifold. Anyhow, something to do while you await delivery of your subs!
post #9 of 23 Old 04-26-13, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Steve Bishop

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
Awesome! I'm finding that the 2x4 wall needs additional cross bracing in my install to minimize vibration. In your case, that would mean installing 2x4 blocking between vertical members every couple feet or so floor to ceiling, at least for the studs adjacent to your manifold. Anyhow, something to do while you await delivery of your subs!
Interesting, I haven't read many other people say that. It certainly an easy thing to do, but I wonder if that's more a consequence of your manifolds being completely supported by the wall whereas mine is mostly supported by the ground?
post #10 of 23 Old 04-26-13, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Steve Bishop

Drivers came in and I unboxed them.
These are impressive to pick up. Images never really do them justice.