IB all done - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 07-02-06, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
kingkip

IB all done

Well my 4 15" is finally done... except trimming eq-ing etc... Anyone who is interested can see the pics at photobucket.

Let me know what ya'll think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-02-06, 02:21 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: IB all done

Nice work!

How do you like it compared to what you had?

Also... I can't make out the drivers other than DVC... what brand are they and what amp are you using?

Oh yeah... where's the head shot and graphs?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-02-06, 10:29 AM
SVSound
Jack

Nice! Whatever the technical differences may be, a baffle-mount like that looks much cooler than a manifold.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-03-06, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
kingkip

Thanks guys.

I used 15" Dayton DVCs, not neccesarily my first choice, but they were running a deal too good to pass up and I liked the flexibility of the DVC. I am running them off of a crown 402 wired for 8 ohms with a BFD. Before I had a polk 505 and then an SVS 20-39.

As for how it compares--not at all. A bazillion times better. It took a little getting used to as the sound is not what I normally thought of as bass. It didn't seem to hit hard enough at first. What I realized was that the bass was no longer boomy. The detail it adds to music is awesome. With movies it is fast and hard hitting without being muddy or bloated. Definately pressurizes my 1400 ft^3 room and rattles my head. What really amazed me though, was how much I am listening to music. It is so much more detailed and real, I can't stop listening.

Built it late at night usually and had no one around to take pics, plus I was using my brother in law's camera and I had to give it back at some point. So no head shot

Theoretically a line array is the best arrangement as the opening is as large as the driver whereas a manifold is usually a smaller area than the driver's area. And I agree I like the looks better as well. Nothing says overkill like 4 15s staring you right in the chest, except maybe 4 18's
post #5 of 10 Old 07-03-06, 06:13 AM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

A man's not a man, without an array!
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-06, 10:40 AM
Senior Shackster

Darren

Aw c'mon guys... my manifold doesn't make me a wussie does it?

I gotta say, array's do look sweet. Maybe I should hang a picture of my manifold attic view near the opening?

Ooooh, just noticed I have one more post on my post count than you Chrisbee...I'm gonna have to kick it in gear!

Have you guys noticed that you get a lot more tactile feel from an IB? My box sub hit low and hard, good tactile feel but the IB hits lower and with more snap. Explosions pelt you in the chest and shake the floor. I also noticed it is more transparent in music and actually plays the notes rather than reproducing the frequency so to say.

Last edited by Darren; 07-28-06 at 10:45 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-06, 11:56 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

... "manifold" sounds more manly to me... while "array" sounds somewhat airy.

Quote:
kingkip wrote:
Definately pressurizes my 1400 ft^3 room and rattles my head. What really amazed me though, was how much I am listening to music. It is so much more detailed and real, I can't stop listening.
Interesting... I can't wait... my room is just a tad bigger at 1800 cubic feet.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-06, 12:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Nice work kingkip!

It looks great the way you have let the array so neatly into the boarded wall.

Very professional looking installation!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-06, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
kingkip

Quote:
Darren wrote:
Aw c'mon guys... my manifold doesn't make me a wussie does it?

I gotta say, array's do look sweet. Maybe I should hang a picture of my manifold attic view near the opening?

Have you guys noticed that you get a lot more tactile feel from an IB? My box sub hit low and hard, good tactile feel but the IB hits lower and with more snap. Explosions pelt you in the chest and shake the floor. I also noticed it is more transparent in music and actually plays the notes rather than reproducing the frequency so to say.
Hard to be a wussie with an IB

Yep I have definitely noticed that. The IB seems so much more viceral and real. I have really been impressed with music, you're right the clarity on the notes is amazing. I have been rediscovering my collection, tons of fun.

Quote:
Sonny wrote:
... "manifold" sounds more manly to me... while "array" sounds somewhat airy.
Maybe true but arrays look way better than any manifold. Anyone remember Back to the Future?

Thanks for the kudos Chrisbee, turns out that it took exactly 2 panels so no ripping required
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-06, 11:24 AM
IamDeMan
Inactive

That looks pretty sick King. Nice work.