Go w/Bad IB Sub Location or Traditional Sub? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 09-15-14, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Go w/Bad IB Sub Location or Traditional Sub?

I was originally going to go with an IB sub but upon getting my furniture I realized the sub placement would be pretty much next to the recliner instead of out in front of it. So I can either go with the side location, or move it more rearward. Or I could go with a traditional subwoofer in the front of the room if the IB sub placement is just not recommended. What does everyone think? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Go w/Bad IB Sub Location or Traditional Sub?-basement.png  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-15-14, 05:09 PM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System
Re: Go w/Bad IB Sub Location or Traditional Sub?

Could be ok, almost impossible to say definitively. How high will you run it before crossing to mains?

AJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-15-14, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Not sure yet but probably 80 Hz.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-15-14, 09:40 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Can your mains dig any lower? What make/model? Thanks.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-15-14, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

They are Noble Fidelity L-82's. Frequency response: 38Hz - 21kHz 3dB on reference axis - from their website.

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-15-14, 10:14 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Try crossing them steep at 50 and see how they do. A close sub may do really well if you trim a little off the top.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-16-14, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks. I will try that.

So far I haven't heard anyone say "this is a bad idea," so at the moment I guess this remains plausible.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-17-14, 09:24 AM
Senior Shackster
zac

My System

This is a bad idea. Just go with traditional subs and place them along the walls of your large listening area, maybe try one nearfield in front of you like a coffee table. You'll be able to get a smooth response with multiple subs. Another benefit of traditional subs will be better bass all over the room, (at the pool table, small table and bar) instead of just at the listening area for the theater. An IB might work, but I'd recommend at least testing the locations by toying with a sealed enclosure there first. I could still locate my IB when I had it crossed at 60hz, but at least the manifolds are up front. I wanted to get a little more out of it so I ended up crossing at 80hz and prefer it that way.

With IB (or any sub) location is the key to success. My IB sounds great in the room I tested and designed it for, without any processing. However, in the garage where I expected to get at least mediocre results it really sounds terrible.

All that said, if you think you could sell the IB318's locally it might be worth giving it a shot, especially if you're not afraid of a little sheetrock repair. IB's are a quick and dirty install compared to making finished enclosures. If it did work out for you it might be worth the risk. Good luck.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-19-14, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Good points. This is the same debate I've been having with myself. I'm not really in the mood try an expensive experiment with the IB (assuming it fails), but on the other hand it might pay off. In the end I might just take the safe route and go with traditional subs since that will be successful no matter what. Time and effort is also a factor here since I'm trying to get this room finished within the next 2 months, with not a lot of free time available to experiment.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
post #10 of 10 Old 11-24-15, 05:43 PM
Shackster

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Dr. Hsu had a setup at show a few years back where the sole sub in the room was extremely close to the listening position and it sounded excellent. If you want to you can delay the sub signal but I don't think it's all that important to be honest. As other's have said, getting the crossover down to 50 or even 40 and steep is the key. IB's sound SO much better than boxes and that far outweighs the location "problem" which I don't think is that a big a deal to start off with. Go for it! Once you've gone IB you can never go back to box bass. Adding an IB sub to my sytsem took it from average sounding to outstanding. You could also add a regular sub or two (as long as they're very high quality) and keep their levels below that of the main IB to smooth out nodes.