Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   IB - Infinite Baffle Subwoofer Build Projects (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ib-infinite-baffle-subwoofer-build-projects/)
-   -   Will IB work for me? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ib-infinite-baffle-subwoofer-build-projects/147889-will-ib-work-me.html)

1stcav 04-21-16 08:07 AM

Will IB work for me?

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster here. I'll get straight to the point and see what you guys think about my situation.

I've been interested in IB for almost 10 yrs but never had the cahunas to go forward with it. So I ended up with three SVS 20-39 pci's that were great for what they were. But I knew there was more, hence my newfound passion to try an IB setup. I've sold the SVS' and my former speakers (JBL E series), and have become determined to build everything myself so I can receive the most bang for my buck.

My current room is 20'L x 18'W x 7'H with 4ft knee walls (bonus rm over garage) & allows me only one wall to consider for the manifold. In the attached pic I've marked the 4 separate positions on the wall (spaced 2ft apart) that I'm considering. Another issue is the fact that the wall is also the rear wall [emoji32] , which I understand is a no-no when it comes to IB but it is what it is and I can't change it. Should I reconsider even going through with it and find a different alternative? Or do you guys think I've got a shot at making this fantasy a reality? Thanks in advance

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a58267e7d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

robbo266317 04-21-16 02:19 PM

Re: Will IB work for me?

You need five posts before you can add a picture, try the post padding thread to get your number up and then attach your pic.

1st cav 04-21-16 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry about that, forgot all about the infamous '5 post' requirement. Here's the crude sketch I mentioned in my first post, hope it helps

robbo266317 04-21-16 04:22 PM

It's a shame you don't have a sub you can place in each of those positions and see what works best for your seating.
Not having tried an IB build myself I can only offer suggestions on what I would try.
My current sub is around your position 3 or 4 and ended up sounding best at the golden ratio distance, no surprise really.
My options were limited as I had only the front two corners, which didn't work well, or the back wall which has exceeded my expectations.

So if your room is 18' wide I would try it at around 7' from one wall.

Others here with more experience at IB may offer some different suggestions. :T

1st cav 04-21-16 04:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

robbo266317 wrote: (Post 1437905)
It's a shame you don't have a sub you can place in each of those positions and see what works best for your seating.
Not having tried an IB build myself I can only offer suggestions on what I would try.
My current sub is around your position 3 or 4 and ended up sounding best at the golden ratio distance, no surprise really.
My options were limited as I had only the front two corners, which didn't work well, or the back wall which has exceeded my expectations.

So if your room is 18' wide I would try it at around 7' from one wall.

Others here with more experience at IB may offer some different suggestions. :T

Thanks Robbo. Actually I have used my Dayton sub 1200 to help take REW measurements. I've never used REW before and have had to rely on Austin Jerry's guide along with a couple of other forum threads. I put the sub in the main listening position and placed the UMM-6 mic about 6 inches out from the wall. I moved the mic to each position (1-4) along the wall and measured, the results are what you see below. Please keep in mind that I'm extremely green when it comes to using the software and my comprehension of its results is limited at best, but here goes.

This is the nearfield measurement I took of the sub 1200 as a baseline

Attachment 119433

Position 1

Attachment 119441

Position 2

Attachment 119449

Position 3

Attachment 119457

Position 4

Attachment 119465

Based on those measurements, which position looks to have the best response?

robbo266317 04-22-16 02:09 AM

From those position 1 actually looks Ok, nice smooth curve! Followed by position 2.

If it was me I would go for position 1.

1stcav 04-22-16 02:26 AM

Quote:

robbo266317 wrote: (Post 1438193)
From those position 1 actually looks Ok, nice smooth curve! Followed by position 2.

If it was me I would go for position 1.

Yeah I think I'm gonna split the difference and put the manifold between 1 & 2. Wish me luck!

robbo266317 04-22-16 05:59 AM

Just out of interest, what is the distance from the wall to positions 1 and 2?
Also how high are you planning on putting it.

1stcav 04-22-16 07:14 AM

Quote:

robbo266317 wrote: (Post 1438209)
Just out of interest, what is the distance from the wall to positions 1 and 2?
Also how high are you planning on putting it.

The mic was placed 6 inches from the wall at all 4 positions.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f5ab00f961.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f208eb0387.jpg

An excellent question regarding sub height. As of right now the plan is to install it about 4 inches from the floor. If someone has a valid argument as to why it should be higher I'm willing to listen.

Tonto 04-22-16 10:35 AM

You know you can put in the attic also, which increases placement options. Just a thought.