Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   IB - Infinite Baffle Subwoofer Build Projects (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ib-infinite-baffle-subwoofer-build-projects/)
-   -   Planning an IB Build! (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ib-infinite-baffle-subwoofer-build-projects/56020-planning-ib-build.html)

Rmb1080p 03-10-12 01:24 PM

Planning an IB Build!

Hello all!
I'm planning an IB build and would like some opinions.
FIcar is still selling the IB3s correct?
If so, my plan was to order 4 15s but would like to know what the difference may be if I went ahead and bumped up to 4 18s.
My listening room is about 13X17X8 and I'll be using my 19.5X19.5X9 garage as a back space which is immediately adjacent to my screen wall.
Plans are to have 2 manifolds with one locate toward the left on the screen-wall and the other located toward the right. 2 drivers per manifold, each driven on a channel of an EP4000 wired to 8 ohms.
I will be using Multeq XT32 to eq them together.
I currently have 2 SVS cylinder subs which I am happy with but I have the opportunity to try an IB and I can't help but be overly curious. (its my nature) :bigsmile:
One thing about it is I fear for the house. I know just because you have crazy headroom does not mean you have to use it and it will result in cleaner audio. It is an older house built very well but, ya know haha.
I really want some really clean chest pulsating room pressurizing ultra bass, where I don't have to think about upgrading at all. I absolutely love the feeling a good IMAX theater gives in the bass region. If only I could recreate that tight clean punch in my home, ahh it would be amazing! I feel like IB could maybe get me there. What do you guys think? :dontknow:

bambino 03-10-12 06:34 PM

Re: Planning an IB Build!

Yes FI is now putting out the IB3's. You have plenty of back space for the 18's but at the same rate with your room size i do not think you'll be dissapointed with the 15's.:T

Mike P. 03-10-12 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
4 15's compared to 4 18's. Both models powered by a Behringer EP4000.

Attachment 35430

bambino 03-10-12 10:08 PM

OK, Mike has stuck it, i'd go for the 18"s. quite a differance.:T

Rmb1080p 03-10-12 11:23 PM

So either way its going to be pretty crazy! Its not a whole lot of difference in cost. I know I'll never touch the full output of either. Hmmm...decisions :ponder: I never really listen to anything louder than about -6 below reference so I think I'll be happy either way. Am I on track with the type of bass IBs produce? I know I'll never truly know until I hear it but I hope it will give me what I am looking for.

bambino 03-10-12 11:29 PM

Quote:

Rmb1080p wrote: (Post 506751)
So either way its going to be pretty crazy! Its not a whole lot of difference in cost. I know I'll never touch the full output of either. Hmmm...decisions :ponder: I never really listen to anything louder than about -6 below reference so I think I'll be happy either way. Am I on track with the type of bass IBs produce? I know I'll never truly know until I hear it but I hope it will give me what I am looking for.

Yes quite crazy with your room size. Either size would make your stomach hurt. If funds were not a concern i'd go all out for the 18"s.:T

Rmb1080p 03-11-12 09:43 AM

Funds really aren't too much of a concern but I feel like I'd be playing with fire hahaha plus after you factor in potential room gain...WOAH!. So the higher displacement with the 18s just means it has the ability to have more output or will it move more air at the same volume levels relative to the 15s? This may be a silly question but, you gotta learn right :bigsmile: I hope I'll be able to get the drivers ordered soon. Is there any downside to my proposed setup or should it work pretty optimal? BTW thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it!

Rmb1080p 03-12-12 12:51 PM

Bump!

Don't you guys think the 4 18s would be overkill? How would they perform at lower volumes? As I stated above, the money difference is not huge. I need some more pros, cons, differences. If I need to give any more info about listening preferences I will. I just wanna make sure I do it right with no regrets down the line.
Thanks!

Mike P. 03-12-12 01:36 PM

With the same power applied the 18's would be louder, but at the same SPL the 18's would use less cone excursion ans distortion would be lower.

Rmb1080p 03-12-12 01:47 PM

What do the think a ballpark figure of the spl I may achieve with the room gain of my small space may be? I know there are a lot of variables here but I've read of people using 4 15s pumping out major spl in rooms larger than mine. I"m thinking the 15s should work quite well for me and the 18s may be a case of diminishing returns.