screen frame options - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 11-30-16, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

screen frame options

I want to order a Seymour xd acoustically transparents screen in the 140" -- 150" range 2.35:1. This is my first screen. Do I build a frame or buy one? I am completely new to the screen idea. I was going to go with a Jamestown screen, but I really want a 2.35:1. It will be primarily for movies.

I have the skills to build one, I believe. I have been going thru this forum and have not found a good DIY solution for the screen frame and a way to tension it. I may have not known what to search for. Any and all help or suggestion appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-30-16, 02:54 PM

Ron

My System
Re: screen frame options

Quote:
bcarver0267 wrote: View Post
I want to order a Seymour xd acoustically transparents screen in the 140" -- 150" range 2.35:1. This is my first screen. Do I build a frame or buy one? I am completely new to the screen idea. I was going to go with a Jamestown screen, but I really want a 2.35:1. It will be primarily for movies.

I have the skills to build one, I believe. I have been going thru this forum and have not found a good DIY solution for the screen frame and a way to tension it. I may have not known what to search for. Any and all help or suggestion appreciated.
First Jamestown is a good screen, but they are severely lacking in getting the product to you (ours took several months when it was supposed to be a couple of weeks. Phone calls resulted in we are behind due to schedules late deliveries etc. On my Seymour AV screen (which I ordered a couple of years later)... I was told due to the size of my screen and that they were awaiting a new shipment of material it would take at least 2 weeks. As I recall the material got delayed and they updated me (which Jamestown never did), and gave me a new delivery date (which was accurate). In the end it took me about 30 days to get my screen. I decided to build my own screen and i went with the more expensive route...which was to have them install the grommets (I think it was $50 extra), and then I sourced out some T-Channel. Luckily we had a source that was about 30 minutes away, and when i got there they took my measurements and input them into Autocad. They then listed every item I needed, and sent me down the road with everything I needed to put the screen together with zero cutting. When the material arrived it took less than an hour to get it all installed. I have seen others use wood fir stripping and they were perfectly happy with the results. I will go DIY whenever I can as it gives me pride to know that I saved money and got an excellent product (the way I built my frame anyone can do with only a screwdriver...no skills required at all).

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 9 Old 11-30-16, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

that sounds EXACTLY like what I am looking for. Thanx Any idea on a thread I could read-up-on on how to build the frame. Anything would help, as I have no idea as to how to attach to the screen to the frame or the frame to the wall. I would love to do this myself. But if I hafta buy a frame I will. the material seems cheap enough from Seymour. The frame is what is throwing me.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-30-16, 09:52 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
that sounds EXACTLY like what I am looking for. Thanx Any idea on a thread I could read-up-on on how to build the frame. Anything would help, as I have no idea as to how to attach to the screen to the frame or the frame to the wall. I would love to do this myself. But if I hafta buy a frame I will. the material seems cheap enough from Seymour. The frame is what is throwing me.
Here is a place that sells the pieces... https://www.8020.net/ This is not where I bought mine though...so I would shop around to see if they are the ones you want to deal with. Don't forget long pieces of Aluminum might get expensive to ship.

Basically you will need 90 degree corners, and also straight connector in case you can't get a piece long enough. The channel i used is 2 slots wide, and 1 slot deep, so you will look for a l shaped flat piece 4 holes or more per leg on the bracket. I wish it was easier for me to get in the back so I could take pics of the pieces I used. You can then use the slots on the sides if needed for anything as well as use the front or rear for attaching the o-rings. You will need enough t nuts (the nuts that you slide into the slots from the end) for every point you are attaching the screen, for every screw holding the frame together, basically everywhere you will be using a screw. For the screws for the o-rings to wrap around you will need longer screws so you can wrap the o-rings around it. For the brackets you will be getting the screws that are for counter sinking (make sure they match the plates you are using so they will mount flush). Make sure you get extras, because you can use them in the corners if that is where you have a grommet.

When you contact SeymourAV and select the screen size they can tell you the dimensions of the screen, so you will know when you buy the material to make the screen...how big it needs to be. When I made mine I had SeymourAV also install the grommets, and paid extra for the o-rings they sell. You can find o-rings cheaper, but i figured theirs would be the correct size (which they were). If you can locate a place that is a supplier close to you for the T-slot aluminum.. they will be able to make sure you get everything you need to put it together quickly. You might also be able to cut the cost down by skipping the grommets, and go with a similar design to a screen door...where you tuck the material into a slot and then insert something in the slots to hold the screen material. This could me a good amount cheaper as you would less screws, no grommet, and no o-rings. It is up to you. I hope this helps you out.

Ron

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #5 of 9 Old 12-01-16, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thankx truly. I will look into that frame. I appreciate the info and help. I like that idea and setup. How did you mount it to the wall?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-01-16, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I did hear back from Jamestown. I can get a 150" 2.35:1 screen with there standard frame setup. 6 week delivery time. I know a lot of people, not just you, have had issues with delivery promise times. I am hesitant. I want this done by Super Bowl in Feb.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-01-16, 11:06 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Thankx truly. I will look into that frame. I appreciate the info and help. I like that idea and setup. How did you mount it to the wall?
We mounted ours with flat brackets to a beam that went across the ceiling (load bearing). I would think you could mount it like we did with flat pieces of aluminum plate to your wall beams, and then just make your black frame big enough to cover where they are attached.

Quote:
I did hear back from Jamestown. I can get a 150" 2.35:1 screen with there standard frame setup. 6 week delivery time. I know a lot of people, not just you, have had issues with delivery promise times. I am hesitant. I want this done by Super Bowl in Feb.
When we ordered our first screen from Jamestown it was around August or September, and as it delayed and delayed they told me one day it was because of the Superbowl. Personally I wouldn't believe them. Seymour is about the same price, screen is as good or better, and you will get it on time.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-02-16, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I finally got thru you build thread. I like the idea of the aluminum frame. It is expensive and I am cheap. thanks tho. I will figure something out. I am talking to Seymour and seeing what we can come up with.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-02-16, 11:05 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
I finally got thru you build thread. I like the idea of the aluminum frame. It is expensive and I am cheap. thanks tho. I will figure something out. I am talking to Seymour and seeing what we can come up with.
Here is the least expensive way to do it, and not much needed for assembly.