Jamestown Home Theater Screen review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 52 Old 03-09-11, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Jamestown Home Theater Screen review

Ok, Did some testing of picture quality and I am very happy with its image quality. Im not going to bother with posting pictures as thats not really going to show what it looks like in real life but trust me its good better than my painted on screen for sure. Now I just need to move my projector back about a foot as i cant zoom out far enough to fill the 2,25:1 screen LOL

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 Old 04-07-11, 12:54 PM
Shackster
War Eagle!!!

LOL, I was going to write a review and I see that you already have one...however I ordered the High Contrast grey in 16:9 format, I wish now that I had gone with a large 2.35 setup and settled for a smaller 16:9 TV picture. Mine just arrived and I will not have time to get to it till the weekend it's killing me, but I have too much other pressing stuff that I need to get done...

So I am going to calibrate mine (LT and HCFR) and I am taking pictures of each step, I have only unboxed it but will take pictures throughout the process. I will take readings from the screen and provide any additional information that anyone might want. I was originally going to with an elite and read some good things and figured that at the price it was a good deal, it does take some time from order to delivery but he (james) is very good at communication and letting you know potential ship date. I had samples from all of the major companies and it appears to from my looking at it lighter than the elite but darker than the Dalite HCCV material, I might have preferred something a little darker but I think it will be fine...if anyone wants me to post pics of the grey screen and calibration readings let me know and I will be glad too, probably be next week when I get to it....one more thing I will be running a mits HC4000 with mine...
post #13 of 52 Old 04-07-11, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hi, Please feel free to add any comments to this thread I was hoping that maybe this will get a sticky but We will see if thats acceptable for this sort of thing. Any pictures and thoughts are very welcome as well

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #14 of 52 Old 04-07-11, 07:09 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Curious...which painted screen are you replacing? I'm seriously considering cream&sugar ultra(I have half the ingredients already). And I have the pt ae 4000 as well...

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 52 Old 04-08-11, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

My painted screen was made using Bahr ultra white and crafting silver paint from Home depot but sadly Home depot does not carry the crafting silver paint any more. At least I have not seen it.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #16 of 52 Old 04-11-11, 08:16 AM
Shackster
War Eagle!!!

Well my screen came in on wednesday, but I have been so busy that it wasn't untill late saturday night that I got it put together and then late sunday I was able to get it up on the wall....all I can say is WOW, the screen made a huge difference and the picture looks amazing...I watched one movie with me and the kids, and it was a DVD and it was just awesome...still need to calibrate it which I will hopefully get to this week...

FYI...I went with a Jamestown HC grey screen, 16:9, 106"...I had samples from most of the mfg, I liked the elite Cinegrey but was $150 more than the Jamestown. The jamestown grey is somewhere between elite and dalite HCCV material, so it doesn't do as good as a job with ambient light like the elite cinegrey but I think it will be fine...watching movies is just going to be so much fun...

I'll try to take some screen shots, and see what I can come up with...
post #17 of 52 Old 04-11-11, 06:38 PM
Shackster
johnr

I am torn between the Jamestown matte white and HC grey. I have an Epson 8500UB and although I feel I won't be 100% happy with black levels with the white I may purchase the white now knowing the next projector will have better blacks. Thoughts on this anyone?
post #18 of 52 Old 04-11-11, 10:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
johnr wrote: View Post
I am torn between the Jamestown matte white and HC grey. I have an Epson 8500UB and although I feel I won't be 100% happy with black levels with the white I may purchase the white now knowing the next projector will have better blacks. Thoughts on this anyone?
Your PJ can have the best black levels in the world, but if there will be any amount of ambient light in the room (or if the walls and ceiling of the room are white or very light colored) the image on a white screen WILL take a hit. Unless your PJ has great blacks AND you have a dedicated HT with dark walls/ceiling, it's hard to go wrong with a gray screen.
post #19 of 52 Old 04-12-11, 12:43 PM
Shackster
War Eagle!!!

Quote:
johnr wrote: View Post
Well I just got the HC grey from jamestown, and it really washes out in ambient light, I wished I had gone with the elite cinegrey, but something I will have to live with. Don;t get me wrong if your not going to be dealing with ambient light it throws up a Great Picture and will be awesome for watching movies...I think I can go with a floor lamp and be fine but will be interesting when watching football in the fall, but I think closing the blinds will get me by....btw keep this in mind I am using a mits HC4000 which is much brighter than your 8500UB, I think the HC grey from jamestown would be a great fit and is a good compromise between something darker and a white screen...It is close to da-lite HCCV material...I'll try to get some screenshots up to help...
post #20 of 52 Old 04-12-11, 06:54 PM
Shackster
johnr

Quote:
bishoptf wrote: View Post
btw keep this in mind I am using a mits HC4000 which is much brighter than your 8500UB, I think the HC grey from jamestown would be a great fit and is a good compromise between something darker and a white screen.
Thanks to those that responded. I am in a light controlled room with black/really dark surfaces. Decisions, decisions!