Screen for JVC RS40 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-11, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eman

Screen for JVC RS40

I'm coming from a diy paint screen and now I would like to purchase a screen for $1000.00 and under for now. But in the future save for a more expensive screen. My room conditions is not a bat cave but I can make it completely dark. ( widows , ceiling , and front half of walls have blackout curtains on them. Carpet black ). I sit 10' from my current wall/screen , and the projector is around 15' from the screen wall. I can also move the projector closer if thats also and option. Well as the title says , I have a jvc rs40 a projector and I need a screen for this type of projector. ( active glasses from jvc )

I was looking at the elunevision elara II perlux silver 1.4 gain screen. What do you guys recommend ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-11, 08:29 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Screen for JVC RS40

Hmmm, I wonder how screens with gain interact with 3D? I personally find 3d to be a distraction and don't like the way the effect changes from the middle to the edges. I wonder how higher gain will affect that perception.

I am sure Mech and Harp will be around soon with some advice with respect to your question.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-11, 09:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
e.mann30 wrote: View Post
I'm coming from a diy paint screen and now I would like to purchase a screen for $1000.00 and under for now. But in the future save for a more expensive screen. My room conditions is not a bat cave but I can make it completely dark. ( widows , ceiling , and front half of walls have blackout curtains on them. Carpet black ). I sit 10' from my current wall/screen , and the projector is around 15' from the screen wall. I can also move the projector closer if thats also and option. Well as the title says , I have a jvc rs40 a projector and I need a screen for this type of projector. ( active glasses from jvc )

I was looking at the elunevision elara II perlux silver 1.4 gain screen. What do you guys recommend ?
Mech is the commercial screen guy here and he just took a few days off.

I don't remember seeing any tests of the Elunevision screens so I can't really say much about them, but I just looked at their page for the Perlux-Silver 1.4 Gain Material and from the data the screen is about N9 in shade. Comparable screens would be the Da-Lite Pearlescent and and Cinemavision screens or the Stewart UltraMatte 130 and UltraMatte 150. Also the Elite PowerGain is close to that catagory, but with a 1.8 gain.

Mech tested the Da-Lite screens. The tests Mech did on the Elite PowerGain series was for some higher gain experimental screens, and Stewart, IIRC, has never sent us any samples.

What size screen are you thinking about? The smaller the screen and the closer the PJ is to the screen the more lumens you will have to play with. The thing about active 3D is that you lose at least 50% of your image brightness when using it (some believe it's closer to 75%).

post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-11, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
eman

screen size would be a 100" to a 110" screen. The painted screen i was using at first was the scorpion N8 screen. The image was really good with that screen paint. Then I tried Silver Fire High Gain and at first I liked the plasma look , then I notice it was only bright in the center and dull or darker on the sides. I've seen the review on the elite powergain , and the Da-lite cinema vision by mech. Also these two screen retain some polarized light which is supposed to be good for the jvc active shutter glasses. The elunevision I was thinking about buying is about $300.00 cheaper than the Da-lite Cinema Vision screen. I also saw the review on the Da-lite silver matte. Just want to get some ideas on what you guys think and could lead me to the right screen. Future plans for a High End screen from DNP supernova 23-23 , or the mocom solstice 2d/HD/3d screens maybe , but just need something for now.

Thanks guys.

I need the Mechanic of screen testing....where's Mech. ( echo....echo...echo...)
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-11, 09:37 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
screen size would be a 100" to a 110" screen.
Just playing around with the projectorcentral calc, if you could mount your PJ and 10' 10" and use a 110" screen you would get 18 fL with 1.0 gain, 24 fL with 1.3 gain, 25 fL with 1.4 gain, 27 fL with 1.5 gain and 33 fL with a 1.8 gain screen. But keep in mind that the higher the gain the more change the screen will act like that SFHG.

Quote:
The painted screen i was using at first was the scorpion N8 screen. The image was really good with that screen paint. Then I tried Silver Fire High Gain and at first I liked the plasma look , then I notice it was only bright in the center and dull or darker on the sides.
This has always been a problem with the translucent, mica-heavy mixes recommended at that forum, but one they swear up and down never happens.

Quote:
I've seen the review on the elite powergain , and the Da-lite cinema vision by mech. Also these two screen retain some polarized light which is supposed to be good for the jvc active shutter glasses. The elunevision I was thinking about buying is about $300.00 cheaper than the Da-lite Cinema Vision screen. I also saw the review on the Da-lite silver matte. Just want to get some ideas on what you guys think and could lead me to the right screen. Future plans for a High End screen from DNP supernova 23-23 , or the mocom solstice 2d/HD/3d screens maybe , but just need something for now.
This is the first I've heard that retaining some polarization of the projected light will help with active glasses, interesting. But don't count on these screens retaining much, they don't work well with passive 3D.

Quote:
Thanks guys.
You're welcome. We always try our best to help no matter if it's about DIY or commercial screens.

Quote:
I need the Mechanic of screen testing....where's Mech. ( echo....echo...echo...)
I think he'll be back sometime this weekend or Monday at the latest.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-11, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
eman

I just found out that I live 35 minutes from Vutec in Florida. On my day off I will make a visit to there showroom ( if they have one ). I know the SilverStar 3D screen is a little over my $1000.00 price range , but if its superior to any of the screens I mention then........we will see
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-11, 08:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
I just found out that I live 35 minutes from Vutec in Florida. On my day off I will make a visit to there showroom ( if they have one ). I know the SilverStar 3D screen is a little over my $1000.00 price range , but if its superior to any of the screens I mention then........we will see
Cool! Let us know what you find.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-11, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
eman

Just called Vutec in south Florida to see if they had a showroom. The phone receptionist said they had one , but then she transfered me to regional account manager who told me that they where just a manufacturer and there was no showroom or display of the screens. He gave me a number for a company thats closer to me who has a showroom where I can actually view the screen. ( but the guys not answering his phone......yet ) .

Thanks mech and welcome back.