1.0 or 1.8 Gain? EP5920 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 2 Old 10-16-12, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
1.0 or 1.8 Gain? EP5920

Hi!

I just purchased a BenQ EP5920 and am currently looking at an Elite Screens ER120GH1 120" screen with 1.8 gain.

I've been trying to research the effective difference between a 1.0 and 1.8 gain screen and am leaning towards the 1.8.

My throw distance will be 16'7" for a total of 31FL on a 120" screen. A 1.0 gain screen will net me around 17FL , which I believe would be a bit low for day-time use. The room is 20' x 15' with a small 10'x13' connected open area. I've already painted my walls Red Delicious (Glidden) and will be putting up sun/heat blocking curtains to bring my ambient light to around 8-12% or 3-5 foot candles (in the day time) and near pitch black at night.

I'm concerned the 1.8 gain will impact my night-time viewing, being too bright. I've read there's a 25% reduction in lumens for the projectors cinema mode.

Would anyone have a recommendation? My budget for a screen is around $450. I plan on watching hi-def satellite during the day and blue rays at night.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-16-12, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: 1.0 or 1.8 Gain? EP5920

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
The PowerGain material you are looking at isn't 1.8 gain. Most manufacturers just throw numbers out there without really measuring anything and Elite is no different. I'm currently trying to find the time to get them trained to test their materials properly.

If I were to guess, I'd say the PowerGain material was around 1.0 gain. This is from memory though. I do have a sample and I'll try to remember to get a look at it later this week.

For ambient light environments, the first rule is to eliminate the ambient light. If you cannot do that, then you would want a bright pj and a gray screen. High gain screens are rarely needed and they usually introduce other issues. If you need a manufactured screen that will perform best in ambient light, get a dnp Supernova. But they are not cheap!
Thanks mechman,

That's somewhat disheartening, as they have 1.8 plastered all over their site. I'd be interested to know what gain you measure from that sample (also, how old is that sample?). The finish between their various offerings all have slight differences, but I'm still searching for a screen test where someone has tested each of their screens in a showdown.

Thanks for the input. I did look at the supernovas, upwards of 2k-4k, hah. They do look nice though...