Best screen with Epson 5020/6020 in light controlled room - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 06-10-13, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Best screen with Epson 5020/6020 in light controlled room

Hello, all.

I am VERY new to projector talk, so please help me out!

I'm looking at purchasing an Espon 5020/6020 in my light controlled basement. The projector will be installed 15' away from the screen, and I'll be sitting about 10 - 11' from the screen. I could sit further away, but then the side surrounds will not be positioned at the sides but rather in front of me (even though they can be swiveled to point behind me).

The carpet/paint/ceiling color has not yet been determined, but most likely will NOT be black.

For this type of a setup, which screen type is best? Should I get a white or gray screen? Low gain or high gain? Can I get a cheap ($500 or less) screen, or do I need to buy a more expensive one to get a great picture? One notable point is that I need a tensioned motorized screen, as it will be mounted on the ceiling and will drop in front of a wall mounted plasma.

Most of the time I will be watching the plasma (at least for now, that's the plan).

I'm thinking about getting a low gain screen (something less than 1.0). My thought is that the throw distance isn't too far, yet the lumens are quite high with the 5020/6020, so if I want better blacks, I should use a low gain screen. I'm assuming that even with a low gain screen, 3D should still be plenty bright.

Could any of you please provide your input?

Thanks!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-10-13, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Best screen with Epson 5020/6020 in light controlled room

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I would look into a gray screen to help with the blacks. How big of a screen are we talking?

Look into Elite's CineTension with Cinegrey material. Sine it's motorized it's going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars.
Sorry, I forgot to include the screen size! I've been told by a local installer to use a 110" screen, with about 95" of that being viewable.

How difficult is it to install a projector and screen? The local guys want to charge around $600.00.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-14-13, 07:29 PM
Shackster

Re: Best screen with Epson 5020/6020 in light controlled room

I have an Epson 6010. I use the Carada 142 inch super white in a dedicated light controlled theater 23 foot wide by 32 foot long. The picture quality is phenominal.