Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector

Quote:
zonecoaster1 wrote: View Post
It sounds like you really want a projector setup. Here are a couple more options:

I suspect that you won't actually need anything fancy screen-wise. I say 'I would try this, then that, then that' but in reality I would just buy a 5020/5030 and a good quality screen (regular 1.0 gain, nothing fancy) and be done with it...which is exactly what I did for my place...but that would be poor advice.
Awesome input and thank you for the drawings.

Edit: Moved the chairs around and I will post in another reply.

How do you like your motorized screen?

I think I am going to go with the Epson unless the JVC or Sony for $1k more offer anything that I have to have, which at this point, I can't find anything. The D-ILA might be nice to have but not worth the extra cost IMO.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I don't think the Epson is to bright for the room... I am using a BenQ W1070 in a 12x16 room right now and by the time you dial it in it is good, but don't forget with time it will loose brightness. By going with a brighter projector you have the ability to recalibrate it to get the picture up to spec again.
This is a good point - I guess it is always better to have a brighter projector that can be dialed down as opposed to one that is too low (hard, if not impossible, to increase the brightness past manufacturer max).

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I would say yes, that is overboard. Elite's can be about a third of that price and perform nicely. SI makes specialty screens for situations which you really don't have.
Lumens divided by screen area times the gain of the screen. So for a 100" screen you would get roughly 22fL for a 1.0 gain screen.
This is good to know - I was wondering what is so great about SI above the other screens. If I can get just as good or even 95% of the quality of a SI screen from a product that is 50% the cost then why not. The reality is that I am likely going to have to go with a motorized screen due to the setup of the room.

I am debating going with a 0.8 screen to lower the fL. Would this be a stupid move? As mentioned above I could always up the brightness if needed. Are there any huge pro's and con's between grey, white, cinewhite, etc?

Last edited by joder; 02-05-14 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
Well then I will give some points you may or may not know:

Many people use Projector Central's calculator to figure out sizes and screen gain, however you have to understand that they use the projectors Maximum light output for those measurements which I feel is misleading because most will not find the Dynamic setting of their projector will look as nice as the Cinema modes with put out probably 40% less light (or less).

The more zoom you use on a projectors lens the less light will reach the screen.

You can experiment with seating distance, screen size, projector light output and screen gain. For a room like yours with ambient light look for a 20fl luminance
Thanks for this input - I am likely to go with the Epson to give me lots of headroom for light or dark use.

I can't see myself having to use too much zoom. I plan on having the projector about 13-14 feet away from a 100" screen. IIRC the Epson will do 1-2.1x zoom.

The seating distance will be around 11-12 feet away from the screen. I will give the calculator a whirl and see what I come up with.

Is it safe to assume that I do not want to go below 16 fL? Is there an upper limit that I should avoid in dark conditions so I don't blind myself?
post #13 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 06:20 PM

Ron

My System

The grey screens I believe are to enhance your black levels... I would try and go with a 1.0 gain screen if possible so you can effectively get the light output you want for a longer period of time as the bulb wears out. If it is 2 bright at night dial it in and save the setting so you have a day setting and a night setting.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..

post #14 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Alright so I moved the screens around per a few of your suggestions.

Here is the result:

http://postimg.org/gallery/93zaplcw/

I think we will be much happier with this setup as I won't have to do more work and spend more money. This will allow us to use a fixed screen and a much bigger one if we wanted to. I could also potentially do in-wall speakers now. Just have to find a way to fix the big ol' hole where the stairs and hallway are so sound doesn't bleed away.

Still thinking about the screen and gain... Trying to decide how big is too big. It looks like there will be around 12 feet between the viewers eyes and the screen surface. I am thinking 120" will be too large as the viewer will have to turn their heads to keep on following the action.

Edit: After playing around with the calculators I am worried that a 1.0 gain screen may be too bright with this projector as it can put out some lumens.

Also I am curious to see how much contrast will be lost? It looks like I will have to use around 1.81x zoom (max limit of 2.1x) to get a 100" image at a 11 1/2" throw.

Is it worth entertaining a 2.35:1 screen or getting a bigger screen and having the ability to velvet off the unused portions?

Last edited by joder; 02-05-14 at 08:38 PM.
post #15 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 10:34 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
joder wrote: View Post
Awesome input and thank you for the drawings.

Edit: Moved the chairs around and I will post in another reply.

How do you like your motorized screen?

I think I am going to go with the Epson unless the JVC or Sony for $1k more offer anything that I have to have, which at this point, I can't find anything. The D-ILA might be nice to have but not worth the extra cost IMO.
No worries.

We love the electric screen. Convenient, fuss-free, tidy. My only regret is not going with an acoustically-transparent screen just in case we ever decided to get rid of the TV (which we did within a week) and mount speakers behind the screen. That's a very minor regret.

I think you'll be happy with that room orientation. Is there a reason the (presumably screen) markings are off-centre with respect to the in-ceiling speakers (or is it a camera trick)?

Something that might help people with their suggestions is a little bit more about your goals for the theatre and your usage (eg. movies, audio w/o video, concerts, gaming, etc). Are you looking for the best setup possible, or just something that will give you a great experience for a good price, not needing the audio/video to be perfect/exceptional? Do you have any constraints as far as layout, components, etc (eg. must not have speakers on the floor, must not mess with the walls, etc)? I say this because there are a million ways to do this, and you'll get just as many opinions & suggestions thrown at you.

For example, a really nice way to set up the audio if your bias is heavily in favour of movies rather than music, is to mount your LCR speakers behind an acoustically-transparent screen. This makes the experience more realistic, with dialogue seeming to be coming right out of the screen, right out of characters' mouths, rather than from the bottom and sides of the screen. Obviously this is not essential, but it's a nice touch.

Similarly, if you have a 9.1-capable AV receiver then you can take advantage of the in-ceiling speakers that you already have installed, using the pair closest to the screen as front height speakers (assuming they have directable tweeters). The advantage of this is that it makes the soundfield even more 3-dimensional (kind of a funny/odd thought) when you have ambient effects coming from above (wind, rain and other weather, explosions, birds, airplanes/helicopters, etc). Again, it's not needed but it's very nice and you're already set up for it.

Doing these things might mean that there's less funding available for other aspects of your build, though, so that's why I suggest thinking about what you *really* want for your theatre experience vs what you're willing to skimp/give a bit on, and making a prioritized list, not only for yourself, but for others trying to help you with your build.

Keep in mind that the less you commit to one way (or more flexible you make your system) the more easily you can upgrade or side-grade (yes, I really said that) in the future (and the more potential up-/side-grade paths will be available to you). For example, based on what you have said, I would suggest going to an AV store and listening to a bunch of in-wall speakers and free-standing or bookshelf speakers then deciding if you really want in-walls before you commit and make holes in the walls. Keep in mind that there is just as wide a range of quality for in-wall speakers as there is for free-standing ones.

Just some random advice, most of it unsolicited

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by zonecoaster1; 02-05-14 at 10:46 PM.
post #16 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 10:55 PM

Ron

My System

If you are going to go with a fixed screen... Check out the Jamestown screens. I am using one now and they are not expensive plus the are nice screens. If you go that route buy it on their eBay store as I heard they ship out pretty fast through eBay vs their website or calling them. This is their eBay store... Strange they have nothing listed right now.

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #17 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks again for the input.

I put the markings up to get a general idea, however, they are off center with the speakers as I plan on centering the screen with the two middle movie chairs. Unfortunately the speakers were setup when we had the other orientation so they are off center at this point. I might try to move them around, however, I really don't want to patch ceiling sheet rock if I don't have to. Also the corner where that right speaker is, is an external corner in the attic with a steep pitch roof which equals very little space to work with in the attic.

I essentially want to get a pretty good setup with what I have to work with. Mostly movies and games. I like the idea of a 9.1 setup, however, I only have a 7.1 Denon receiver for that room right now.

I would love to do some in wall speakers for the LCR, however, that wall is an exterior wall and a lot of electrical wiring from the fuse box passes through to the attic (garage and fuse box are below). I think I will be relegated to doing floor speakers if I want to add left and right speakers. I am already going to use the black center under the screen.

Priorities (in order) at this point are:
Projector
Screen
Sound improvements (if necessary)

I am pretty set on the Epson 5030ub unless someone strongly suggests looking at another brand/model.

As for the screen I am still pretty unsure which way I am going to go as there seem to be endless choices. Not sure if 4k compatible screens are just a marketing ploy or if texture and/or material mater if and when I go to a 4k projector.

If you have any other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!
post #18 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
If you are going to go with a fixed screen... Check out the Jamestown screens. I am using one now and they are not expensive plus the are nice screens. If you go that route buy it on their eBay store as I heard they ship out pretty fast through eBay vs their website or calling them. This is their eBay store... Strange they have nothing listed right now.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at them and I worry that 1.3 gain will be too much and 0.8 might be enough. I don't see a 1.0 gain offering from them. The price looks great for their screens. how is the build on the screen? It is DIY when you get it, correct? How many tension points does it have (if you remember)? Also how easy is it to mount?

Elite screens were also recommended. I am going to take a closer look at them too.

I might get the projector in the room first before I buy a screen to see how big I want to go on the wall before I commit fully to a size.
post #19 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 11:58 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
I essentially want to get a pretty good setup with what I have to work with. Mostly movies and games. I like the idea of a 9.1 setup, however, I only have a 7.1 Denon receiver for that room right now.
You could still do it with 7.1, but you would have to give up the rear surrounds. Not a big deal, and something you can play around with later if you like.

Quote:
I think I will be relegated to doing floor speakers if I want to add left and right speakers. I am already going to use the black center under the screen.
This is a good thing, IMO.

Quote:
I might get the projector in the room first before I buy a screen to see how big I want to go on the wall before I commit fully to a size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #20 of 36 Old 02-06-14, 02:38 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at them and I worry that 1.3 gain will be too much and 0.8 might be enough. I don't see a 1.0 gain offering from them. The price looks great for their screens. how is the build on the screen? It is DIY when you get it, correct? How many tension points does it have (if you remember)? Also how easy is it to mount?

Elite screens were also recommended. I am going to take a closer look at them too.

I think the one I have is 1.1 gain. It was pretty easy to put together and took me less than 1 hour. I was happy with the product other than it took longer to get than they said it would. I do know some others have not been happy with the construction while others like myself are very happy with it. Hanging it was pretty easy. I made up some pieces of wood and used some construction adhesive to attach them to the drywall and then took some drywall screws and screwed them right though the velvet. Now some people are shocked but I have to tell you if you don't know that it was done that way you will not know until you are a foot or so away from it and know where to look.