Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 36 Old 02-06-14, 02:16 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector

Another couple of notes that I'll add about projector/image brightness:

1. If you want to watch 3D content, brightness is your friend. 3D glasses make the image considerably less bright.

2. If you don't always want to watch with the lights off, brightness is your friend. We found that we enjoyed ujsing the projector for everything, including regular HDTV-viewing. A lot of the time it's not desirable to turn the lights off just to watch TV. The brightness of the projector's image in ambient light is convenient for just plain old TV watching with the lights on.

Personally, I would err on the side of giving myself a nice bright image, then using the various projector modes and adjustments to tone it down as needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 02-06-14, 02:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

I would purchase the projector and screen with optimum movie viewing (Cinema mode) in mind, if I wanted to watch with the lights on I would just switch the projector to a brighter setting (Dynamic).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #23 of 36 Old 02-06-14, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

As always thanks for the quick and informative responses.

One general question I have for all is how much of a problem is it to use most of my zoom? I am thinking 120" is the number to go with and to get that at a short throw distance I am looking at about 1.8-1.9x zoom.

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Going with a .8 gain screen would be absolutely fine. It would still leave you above the recommended fL for a home theater (12-16fL). Even as the bulb ages, you will probably still be within this parameter.

Never take a quoted gain measurement from a manufacturer seriously, even from Jamestown. If it is a white material, I'd seriously doubt that it would be much higher than 1. Carada makes the brightest white that I've ever measured and it came in at 1.2 IIRC. I emailed Jamestown some time ago for samples of their products and they never replied or sent anything. So I'd take any numbers that they throw out there with a grain of salt. None of this is a knock on Jamestown's products per se, just the numbers that they throw out there with their products.
This is good to know. I think I might aim for 1-1.3 as I actually put the projector up today (got the Epson 5030) and the THX and Cinema modes seem a little dark for my taste (no ambient light). Granted the image is being projected onto a beige painted wall. I do enjoy the almost noise-less fan at the lower light levels.

Do you have a reasonable light meter that you would recommend?

Also, I am seriously looking at Elite screens, however, their AT 4k screens are curved. I would like to future proof if necessary and have heard that AT screens do matter when moving up to 4k (weave pattern, holes, etc). I am very seriously considering in wall LCRs behind the screen (wife doesn't want stand speakers). My center would have to be vertical too, however, most folks said this shouldn't matter and may even sound better.

Do you have any other brands you might recommend for AT 4k?

Quote:
zonecoaster1 wrote: View Post
Another couple of notes that I'll add about projector/image brightness:

1. If you want to watch 3D content, brightness is your friend. 3D glasses make the image considerably less bright.

2. If you don't always want to watch with the lights off, brightness is your friend. We found that we enjoyed ujsing the projector for everything, including regular HDTV-viewing. A lot of the time it's not desirable to turn the lights off just to watch TV. The brightness of the projector's image in ambient light is convenient for just plain old TV watching with the lights on.

Personally, I would err on the side of giving myself a nice bright image, then using the various projector modes and adjustments to tone it down as needed.
Both great points which is why I think I am going to lean towards a screen with a higher gain.

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
I would purchase the projector and screen with optimum movie viewing (Cinema mode) in mind, if I wanted to watch with the lights on I would just switch the projector to a brighter setting (Dynamic).
Also a good point - I am thinking 0.8 might make it too dark now. Contrast isn't an issue with this projector.

post #24 of 36 Old 02-07-14, 02:09 AM

Ron

My System

This is the light meter I use...

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #25 of 36 Old 02-07-14, 08:29 AM
HTS Moderator

I 'd go with the option No 2 all the way!!
post #26 of 36 Old 02-07-14, 09:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

If you are looking at an AT screen one of the best imho is the Seymour

http://www.seymourscreenexcellence.com/materials.asp

post #27 of 36 Old 02-08-14, 02:22 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
joder wrote: View Post
One general question I have for all is how much of a problem is it to use most of my zoom? I am thinking 120" is the number to go with and to get that at a short throw distance I am looking at about 1.8-1.9x zoom.
As long as you're happy with the image quality (brightness, contrast, focus, uniformity) at that zoom level it's fine.

Quote:
joder wrote: View Post
I am very seriously considering in wall LCRs behind the screen (wife doesn't want stand speakers). My center would have to be vertical too, however, most folks said this shouldn't matter and may even sound better.
LCR all the same and behind an AT screen is a good way to go.

post #28 of 36 Old 02-08-14, 04:33 PM

Ron

My System

Another AT screen (the one I am going to get next) is Falcon Screens... http://www.falconscreens.com/

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #29 of 36 Old 02-09-14, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
This is the light meter I use...
Thanks - I will have to get one.

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
If you are looking at an AT screen one of the best imho is the Seymour

http://www.seymourscreenexcellence.com/materials.asp
I am thinking I might get the Seymour Fixed Frame Center Stage XD - It looks like a nice weave that will allow close placement to LCR speakers without the need for an EQ or worrying about much sound reflection.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Another AT screen (the one I am going to get next) is Falcon Screens... http://www.falconscreens.com/
This is a nice choice too. I am mainly concerned about having a screen with a weave versus machine perforation.

I know SmX used to be a highly recommended screen, however, they do not exist anymore. I do like the Elite AcousticPro 4k, however, the product is described as a sheer weave and looks super tight (as if it won't let sound pass through easily). Their Web site says 1" is sufficient between speakers and the back of the screen. Also it looks like you can only get it in a curved screen. Can anyone chime in regarding this?

If money was not an object when considering Elite, Falcon, or Seymour what is going to be the best in terms of balance between low SPL and light pass-through but great picture without much notice of texture on the screen.

Last edited by joder; 02-09-14 at 09:05 PM.
post #30 of 36 Old 02-18-14, 12:20 PM
Shackster

My System
Any progress?