Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 36 Old 02-18-14, 06:44 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector

my suggestion is for the Epson proj , and while i LOVE DIY screens in your situation , i would go with a framed screen elite or Black Diamond

FORRESTER HOME THEATER:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 02-25-14, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I have made some progress and will get pics up soon. Waiting on the speakers atm.

Of course the wall I am hanging it on isn't perfectly even (as none are) and I am trying to figure out how to square the projector up with the screen. I have seen some folks use a laser distance measuring tool on each side of the PJ to get distance and rotate the screen/PJ a necessary.
post #33 of 36 Old 02-26-14, 09:06 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
joder wrote: View Post
I have made some progress and will get pics up soon. Waiting on the speakers atm.

Of course the wall I am hanging it on isn't perfectly even (as none are) and I am trying to figure out how to square the projector up with the screen. I have seen some folks use a laser distance measuring tool on each side of the PJ to get distance and rotate the screen/PJ a necessary.

I have a painted wall screen (love it) and what i did was leave the mounting brackets only VERY slightly loose as so i could barely move the projector if i needed to . by twisting the projector very slightly it makes a big difference at the screen = perfect alignment

FORRESTER HOME THEATER:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #34 of 36 Old 02-26-14, 10:03 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
joder wrote: View Post
Thanks - I will have to get one.

I am thinking I might get the Seymour Fixed Frame Center Stage XD - It looks like a nice weave that will allow close placement to LCR speakers without the need for an EQ or worrying about much sound reflection.

This is a nice choice too. I am mainly concerned about having a screen with a weave versus machine perforation.

I know SmX used to be a highly recommended screen, however, they do not exist anymore. I do like the Elite AcousticPro 4k, however, the product is described as a sheer weave and looks super tight (as if it won't let sound pass through easily). Their Web site says 1" is sufficient between speakers and the back of the screen. Also it looks like you can only get it in a curved screen. Can anyone chime in regarding this?

If money was not an object when considering Elite, Falcon, or Seymour what is going to be the best in terms of balance between low SPL and light pass-through but great picture without much notice of texture on the screen.
I have heard that the Falcon, and Seymour are the same screen material. I have demoed the Seymour at home (they will send you a sample if you ask), and I compared it to my Jamestown screen @12' and I could not see any weave at all.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #35 of 36 Old 04-25-14, 06:53 PM
Shackster

My System

bump

post #36 of 36 Old 06-25-14, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Alright, better late than never, right?

Decided to go with the 120" diagnol Seymour AV AT Center Stage XD fixed frame screen. I love it and can't see the weave at around 10-12 feet (where the seats are).

I have yet to fully calibrate the PJ, however, I am happy enough right now with the picture that it projects. If anything I would like to get a sharper picture as I feel it is too soft or out of focus a bit, however, this could be some of the content I am watching as some movies look crystal clear.

I went with the UIW RLS II in wall speakers by Definitive Technology. I had looked at the Triad speakers, however, they were heavy, large, and expensive. I am sure I would have been thrilled with the sound from them, however, the Def Techs get the job done. I can tell that the clarity of the sound is a bit muffled when using the screen over the center channel. It really isn't too bad though.