Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 36 Old 02-04-14, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector

Hi All,

I had considered going the DIY route with SF, however, bright spots will drive me nuts and I would love to avoid them if at all possible.

I am considering going the manufactured route as opposed to the DIY route as I worry DIY won't be quite as good as manufactured products that have lots of R&D behind them. I have been looking at Screen Innovations products, however, is it really worth the money?

I am not quite sure about gain or color for my application. It would likely be used with minimal ambient light, however, would also be nice to have some resistance to this if overhead lights were on and dimmed.

I am open to any recommendations and I am a newb when it comes to this stuff.

Here are a few photos of the area that I am working with:

http://postimg.org/gallery/70xafw5k/

It is roughly 15'x15' with 12' ceiling height with some distant ambient lighting. I would mount a screen either where the window is and make it easily removable (or even motorized) or put it where the tv is now.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-04-14, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Blank slate - need recommendations on a screen/projector

Looking at possibly going with an Epson 5030UB. Seems like a great product for the price. The JVC DLA-X35 looks nice too but that is another 1k and I am not sure if it is worth it.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-04-14, 07:16 PM

Ron

My System

I currently use a Jamestown 134" screen and I love it... It is a DIY only in the fact that you have to assemble it, but my next screen will be a Seymour AT screen. Seymour does sell motorized screens too though. I would def check them out before you buy. I have used Draper in the past and I was happy with it too (back when I had a CRT projector).

I had an Epson for about 5 years and it was an excellent projector. The warranty is excellent as they have a overnight delivery to replace your projector if anything goes wrong. You just have to return your old one in the box they send the replacement in... I think it was even prepaid.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..

post #4 of 36 Old 02-04-14, 09:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Honestly I wouldn't even put a projector/screen in that room. I see a 80-90" Sharp LED on the wall where the TV is now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-04-14, 09:48 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
Honestly I wouldn't even put a projector/screen in that room. I see a 80-90" Sharp LED on the wall where the TV is now
Projector and screen would be cheaper and you can go bigger.

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #6 of 36 Old 02-04-14, 09:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

I know I just see all the crown molding, and cabinets, cutting holes and running wire and I a WAF explosion.

I would turn the room around, if I wanted a projector. i.e. the cabinet that the TV is sitting on now would go up against the wall where the seats are and that would house the electronics and be the stand for the center, and I would drop the screen in front of the cabinet and make an AT. That massive open corner doesn't give you the space to separate the mains to give a good soundstage and they will bleed out that opening.

If the room orientation has to be the same i.e. the screen where the TV is or over the window, I just can't see it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-04-14, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks all for the input.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
my next screen will be a Seymour AT screen. Seymour does sell motorized screens too though. I would def check them out before you buy.
I had an Epson for about 5 years and it was an excellent projector.
I would love a Seymour, however, the motorized models look to be more than I want to spend. I might really go with the Epson, however, I worry it might be too bright for that room.

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I wouldn't go overboard on a screen and a SI screen would be classified as going overboard in my book. Try to match up your projector and screen together so that they're giving you ~16fL of reflected light at the screen. Check the lumens of your pj selections at projectorreviews - they have actual measured values. For the screen, if you're going to have the possibility of ambient light, go with a light gray screen such as the Elite Cinegrey material or something like it. Just factor the true gain of the material into your fL calculation. Some manufacturers aren't that accurate measuring gain.
The most I would spend on a SI screen would be $1500. Not sure if you still consider that overboard? What justifies the price difference for an SI versus and Elite or other brand?

The Epson claims 2400, however, the best mode calibration for the Epson was 644 lumens per projectorreviews. It can go all the way up to 1700 or so per the different projector modes.

Is this the correct way to calculate fL?
FL = ( lumens * gain) / screen area in sq ft

Quote:
Quote:
I know I just see all the crown molding, and cabinets, cutting holes and running wire and I a WAF explosion.

I would turn the room around, if I wanted a projector. i.e. the cabinet that the TV is sitting on now would go up against the wall where the seats are and that would house the electronics and be the stand for the center, and I would drop the screen in front of the cabinet and make an AT. That massive open corner doesn't give you the space to separate the mains to give a good soundstage and they will bleed out that opening.

If the room orientation has to be the same i.e. the screen where the TV is or over the window, I just can't see it
I have thought about going with a bigger TV on the wall, however, that wall is biased to the right and off center. The way I am leaning now is to do a motorized screen over the window area and remove the shelving to the left of the window. I would move the chairs to look this way and keep the cabinets under the TV where they are (AV components are already inside). As far as the wiring goes I am not afraid to do any of that work as I have attic access. The speakers are already ceiling mounted. I know sound will leak out of that corner and there is nothing that can be done unfortunately.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 09:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Well then I will give some points you may or may not know:

Many people use Projector Central's calculator to figure out sizes and screen gain, however you have to understand that they use the projectors Maximum light output for those measurements which I feel is misleading because most will not find the Dynamic setting of their projector will look as nice as the Cinema modes with put out probably 40% less light (or less).

The more zoom you use on a projectors lens the less light will reach the screen.

Using a calculator such as

http://hometheaterhero.com/htcalc.html#top

You can experiment with seating distance, screen size, projector light output and screen gain. For a room like yours with ambient light look for a 20fl luminance

post #9 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 11:18 AM
Shackster

My System

It sounds like you really want a projector setup. Here are a couple more options:

Option 1 (least painful and least commitment required)

Since the AV components are already under the TV and the wiring is already there, why not leave that there and hang the screen on the opposite wall, where the chairs currently are? You could then place left, centre and right speakers around it, use one pair of your current in-ceiling speakers as front height speakers and the other pair as surround speakers. You could mount your projector above the TV, and use soundbar mounts to hang rear speakers from the TV mount (or just put them on top of the AV cabinet). You could possibly even use the existing TV mount to hang your projector (just make some brackets and hang a shelf on it). If you like it then you can fashion something more permanent. The down-sides:

i) No convenient access to your AV equipment with the chairs in front of it. If it bugs you, though, you could move the equipment (or at least what you need regular access to, such as a blu-ray player) up on top of the cabinet.

ii) Light coming from that window at the end of the hallway (and maybe from downstairs, etc). My other suggestion would be to use the wall opposite the other window, as that wall is presently completely empty. I suppose you could hang a rail and curtain to block off that section (between the two pieces of wall art).

iii) Chairs would intrude on the hallway, from the looks of it.

Option 2

Keep the TV where it is and put the screen on the empty wall that you already have. The back cabinet could be used in a similar manner to what I described above. The projector could be wall-mounted or you could find a stand for it and place it on top of the cabinet. The front left speaker could be placed on top of the existing cabinet, and the right one could be on a stand (assuming you're going with bookshelf speakers). This gives you the option of continuing to use the TV as well as better hiding the screen from the light coming from the end of the hallway.

As far as projector and screen, the 5030 would do a great job, especially given the potential light issues, but I'm biased heavily in favour of the 5020/5030. In ECO, THX and Cinema modes the brightness would be fine. My warning would be that you might find it loud when running in 'living room' mode (brightest possible, approximately equivalent to the sun, (j/k)), if you have it on a shelf close to the viewers. Screen-wise, I would try the wall, first (whichever one you decide to use), to see if the brightness is ok despite the window light. My next step would be putting a separator/curtain in to close off the room a bit and decrease the room brightness (if need be, based on your testing with the projector). Lastly, I would decide what to do about the screen (increased gain vs 1.0, manufactured vs DIY) based on all of the above.

I suspect that you won't actually need anything fancy screen-wise. I say 'I would try this, then that, then that' but in reality I would just buy a 5020/5030 and a good quality screen (regular 1.0 gain, nothing fancy) and be done with it...which is exactly what I did for my place...but that would be poor advice.

Last edited by zonecoaster1; 02-05-14 at 01:02 PM.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-05-14, 11:25 AM

Ron

My System

I don't think the Epson is to bright for the room... I am using a BenQ W1070 in a 12x16 room right now and by the time you dial it in it is good, but don't forget with time it will loose brightness. By going with a brighter projector you have the ability to recalibrate it to get the picture up to spec again.