AT screen suggestions - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 08-04-14, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

AT screen suggestions

I am currently using a white painted wall for projection in my home theater. I am a DIY guy so I always assumed I would paint my own screen...cream n' sugar or black widow etc. I did some research on HTS. At the moment my projector is the humble Panasonic AX200u screen is 100" with a 16 ft throw and I sit about 10 feet away.

But I came across an interesting product. It's an acoustically transparent screen. And they sell the material precision cut with grommets if you want to make your own frame. I've worried a lot about my center channel speaker being too low in my setup, as I like the screen fairly low. An AT screen would remedy that.

I was looking at Seymour Screens Center Stage UF...does anyone have suggestions for other manufacturers of an AT diy frame system? How about pros and cons of fixed frame vs painting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-04-14, 08:36 PM

Ron

My System
Re: AT screen suggestions

I am using the SeymourAv XD AT screen and I love it. I paid a little bit more and had them install grommets but there are other methods others have used for less money. I went with the grommets since I was going to use extruded aluminum for the frame. It turned out to be very easy to make and I am not noticing any loss of audio quality from the screen. I highly recommend SeymourAV screens.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 14 Old 08-05-14, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

OK Ron. Thanks for the input.

I am now seriously considering that Seymour screen as my next HT upgrade. I guess if I get the screen now, I will buy me some time before the projector upgrade...after which I will be "done" with the HT.

I will definitely have them install the grommets, too. I saw something on their site about a "trampoline" type fastening system with the grommets and O rings. Sign me up.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-05-14, 01:56 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Mikeythai wrote: View Post
OK Ron. Thanks for the input.

I am now seriously considering that Seymour screen as my next HT upgrade. I guess if I get the screen now, I will buy me some time before the projector upgrade...after which I will be "done" with the HT.

I will definitely have them install the grommets, too. I saw something on their site about a "trampoline" type fastening system with the grommets and O rings. Sign me up.
The silicone O-rings are real easy to install, and go very quickly. The other way some people do is to make a wooden frame and attach the screen to the frame like you would a window screen to its frame. Some people say this is a bit cheaper to do. I went with the extruded aluminum because I could do it all by myself with just a screwdriver.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #5 of 14 Old 08-05-14, 06:25 AM
Shackster
Keith Mitchell

Wife and I build our own AT screen some years back, uses Phifer Shearweave 4500 material stapled to a frame made of 2x4's. Mounted the material at an angle to make sure there were no Moire effects. Looks and sounds great, don't hear any treble attenuation at all. Having the center speaker behind the screen is essential for me now.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...ve-4500-a.html

An using Fusion-12 Tempest speakers for L, C & R. Have the L & R speakers at the side of the screen as these speakers throw a huge sound stage so might as well make use of that.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-05-14, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Yeah, raising the center channel is one of those AHA! moments.

Thanks for the link Hardeng, but I can't see the pictures in the thread.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-14-14, 06:27 PM
Shackster
Joseph

My System

Take a look at Falcon Screens also.
I just installed one and am very happy with it.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-15-14, 05:12 PM
Shackster

My System
Another vote for falcon!!

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #9 of 14 Old 08-15-14, 05:31 PM
Shackster

I'm using the Seymour XD screen material. Have him send you a free sample and see if the weave or moire is noticable at 10 feet. On bright scenes with lots of white I can see the weave at 10'. Some people can't. If you don't have any moire effect without the material tilted, you can save yourself some money buying less material.

Most people don't notice the weave, and even though I can sometimes. The sound is better all of the time, so It's worth it.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-01-14, 03:51 PM
Shackster

I'm also looking for a AT Screen, I've been looking at Elite Screens. Does anyone have any experience with their screens?

Or if you have another brand, is there a material that would be better for 4k projectors? I'm worried about have a very noticeable moire pattern