Screen recommendation (quick before football starts!) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-14, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Screen recommendation (quick before football starts!)

Hi there-

I'm looking for a mfg screen recommendation. The room is a multi purpose room with an Epson 8350 PJ, 4 HT seats 14' back. The room is multi purpose because it also has a bar and a pool table.

The room CAN be completely light controlled as there is just one outside doorway but has pocket doors that cover it. I am in the process of painting the walls a darker color but the ceiling is white and won't be painted.

With that said, we mostly watch sports in there with the guys, and there's typically ambient light from either the pool table or the bar.

I'm currently projecting onto the wall, and I have 115" of horizontal space and about 72" of vertical space to work with above my component cabinet..

My wish list: <$500, 130" (as long as width is ~115" or less), I do not want fixed frame, I want to use the wall when the PJ is not in use. I would really like it to be motorized but not a deal breaker. Obviously looking for great picture quality, but would prefer it to look GOOD with some ambient light than AWESOME with completely dark.

I've very casually looked at the 130" Jamestown and a 125" Elite Screen (Elite Screens 125 Inch 16:9 Spectrum Electric Projector Screen)

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-30-14, 08:27 AM
HTS Moderator

Re: Screen recommendation (quick before football starts!)

Hello.

Having said that:

''With that said, we mostly watch sports in there with the guys, and there's typically ambient light from either the pool table or the bar.''

Jamestone, Elite or Stewart would not make such a difference, so i suggest to go with the most affordable one. Furthermore, don't know how many hours have on the lamp, but personally i wouldn't go over 100''-110'' with this Epson.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-30-14, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yiannis, thanks for the reply.

Sorry if this is a newbie sounding, but what is the logic behind your 100"-110" suggestion and how does that correlate to lamp hours?

I know the larger the image, the less bright of a picture. FWIW the lamp has about 400 hours on it.

Tx

post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-14, 05:58 AM
HTS Moderator

Hello!

You said wright! The larger the screen, less light will bounce out of it. I have measured your projector and it seems that in calibrated mode outputs something like ~450-500 lumens. Lamp had 200 hours, so i guess yours with double hours will have even less ''horsepower''. Therefore i suggested 100-110'' screen.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-03-14, 04:09 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

I use SCREEN INNOVATIONS on my installs... Mainly because they have a quality screen , great customer service and a LIFETIME replacement policy on most of what they sell...

Motorized for less than 500 - not gonna happen...

I suggest the Fixed Performance in Lunar gray since your wanting to use this with some ambient lighting...

The screen calculator on the website makes it easy to order....
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-14, 04:43 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
I use SCREEN INNOVATIONS on my installs... Mainly because they have a quality screen , great customer service and a LIFETIME replacement policy on most of what they sell...

Motorized for less than 500 - not gonna happen...

I suggest the Fixed Performance in Lunar gray since your wanting to use this with some ambient lighting...

The screen calculator on the website makes it easy to order....
I agree... Not going to find a new screen that is motorized of good quality for $500 or less.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..