WS-55809 no power - no lights - nothing - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 10-29-09, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

WS-55809 no power - no lights - nothing

TV worked fine yesterday. No issues prior to today. Picture has always been great.

Powered on tonight and got nothing. No sound, no video, no lights. Its as if its dead. Unplugged and reconnected power. Front panel LED turned on solid. No video, no sound. I powered off again using front panel power button. Now, its completely dead. Nothing at all. Tried holding down Menu and Input for 5+ seconds but get nothing in response.

Removed back panel and checked main fuse and all pico fuses. All have continuity. All capacitors that I can see from the rear of the TV look good. Nothing swollen or leaking that I can see. No signs of CRT leakage.

I can hear the high pitched whine of the HV circuit (I guess) when I first connect the power cable. That lasts for about 1 second. Thats all I get. Wall socket is verified to be 120VAC and good.

No power outages or bad weather in the last days. TV is connected to a Panamax Max 5300 so it should be reasonably surge protected...

Any ideas? I suspect a main power supply problem. Any tips on how I can test to determine if its an easy fix? I'm good with electronics, soldering/desoldering is not an issue. I have the tools.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-09, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Re: WS-55809 no power - no lights - nothing

I left the TV unplugged for a few hours. Just tried it again. Now, it powers on for 3 seconds and shuts off. LED stays lit for the 3 seconds. I can hear the relay click when it turns on, but no video and no audio. Pressing Menu and Input for 5 seconds still reveals no blinking.

Thoughts? Am I off to buy a new TV this weekend?? Ho hum...
post #3 of 6 Old 10-30-09, 07:26 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Unplug the front control panel and try it with the remote.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-30-09, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

I see there are two sets of cables coming from the control panel area. One has a connector between the green and blue guns. The second is off to the right side of the blue gun.

I disconnected the one between the green and blue and the power switch no longer did anything. Tried the remote and it powered on then off again in 2-3 seconds. No audio no video.

Do I need to try the other conenctor to the right of the blue gun (when standing in front of the TV)? I think I got the correct one based on your description.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-30-09, 07:59 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

One connector is the control panel. The other is the front panel inputs. Your set will need more troubleshooting that is beyond the scope of this forum. I would contact a professional who is very familiar with these models.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-09, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Thats what I figured. I suppose the least its gonna cost me is a couple hundred (if I'm lucky) so I just may move to a flat panel and say bye bye to my trusty ole' Mitsu.