2 Second Shutoff, Code 22, and Convergence IC's - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-11, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

2 Second Shutoff, Code 22, and Convergence IC's

A bit of background first;

I had the hourglass problem almost three years ago on my WS65819. I did the repair myself, replacing the IC's instead of just re-flowing the cracked solder joints. It has been working fine since the repair was done until a few days ago.....

The 2 second shutoff happened after having the TV on for several hours that day. It had been off for an hour or so and when it was turned on again,,, problem. It was returning CODE 22. Reading here gave me the impression it was either the power resistor or the convergence IC's. The 05 fuse was found to be blown. I had some spare fuses from the first repair so I inspected the solder joints (they looked fine), re-flowed them anyway, looked for other bad solder joints (seems OK), checked the 2.2 ohm power resistor (measures 2.5 while installed and looks fine), replaced the fuse and fired it up. 2 seconds, shutoff, CODE 22.

I reinstalled the old IC's last night. I kinda' knew they were never bad to begin with, and it was the solder joints at fault so I had stored them -- just in case. The TV powered up normally after the IC swap so I shut it off, finished buttoning it up and fired it up again (perfectly normal again) and left it on for about an hour. This morning I turn it on again and,,,, 2 seconds, shutoff. I didn't have time to check but I suspect I'll find the 05 fuse blown and CODE 22.

There must be something killing the IC's but what? Or is it time for professional help?? The plan is the get a flat panel and gift this TV to a friend but I'd like to get it running so we can use it until it is replaced. I'd also like to give the TV to my buddy in good working order, he doesn't need to spend money on repairs.

Thanks for the help in the past and for any help you can give for this new problem.....Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-11, 07:19 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: 2 Second Shutoff, Code 22, and Convergence IC's

If you did not follow ALL of the advice in the first ten posts of the convergence sticky below, there are many possible reasons for a repeat failure...source of parts, d.c. offset. overdriving the edge correction, incorrect heat sinking, etc. You could also have a power supply filering problem or just bad luck. These chips run hard. When done right we rarely see another failure in two years, but it does happen. It only takes one channel out of six to fail.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...e-repairs.html

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-11, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Thanks Leonard,

I was bitten by the bad supplier deal on the repair almost three years ago -- immediate blown fuses. The IC's in the TV when it failed came from MCM and were likely done in by another problem.

I think I'll turn this over to a pro. I hope to get one half as through as your service would be. I got almost three years out my DIY repair so it wasn't a total failure......Bill

post #4 of 8 Old 05-29-11, 06:04 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Be sure that you tell any servicer you talk to the whole story and ask what they will do to sort it out. It is not a trivial matter. If they tell you that you can only expect a couple of years out of these, and don't say that they will check the offset and minimize the edge correction, they really are not going to do much more than change the chips again.

The sad fact is that MOST servicers don't do much more than you would do. Many do less. I have tried for years to educate servicers on the matter, and most are just wanting to charge a lot and NOT do any more than change parts as this is a "gravy" repair. Many don't do a lot of convergence repairs any more because they have become board swappers for LCD and PDP sets. The state of the service industry is quite sad. Even the best techs I know are unlikely to really take the time to do this right.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-06-11, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Well, I called a local guy recommended to me by a friend. His response was that he would first change the IC's. I told him it was probably going to result in another failure but he says the old IC's I reinstalled may have failed just because they were old and used. Since the seemingly identical failure occurred to two sets if IC's, just replacing them with new parts isn't a "fix" and isn't even a proper diagnosis. I could do that myself...........

I used the NESDA link to request a call from a not-so-local shop. It's the closest one listed but it's 25 miles from us. I wish I had a better option.......Bill
post #6 of 8 Old 06-15-11, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

I have had zero luck finding a shop I feel comfortable with to do the work. I'm in the Ft. Myers, Fl area and have contacted several shops via their web pages with no replies. Anyone know a good repair shop in my area?

I'm about to give up on this TV and use the repair money to purchase a new LCD TV. It will be like getting a 10% discount...........
post #7 of 8 Old 06-15-11, 08:45 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Sorry to say that your situation is all too common. Good servicers are hard to come by these days. Many of us have moved on to other businesses. I just do not know of anyone within 100 miles of where you are that I would trust.

post #8 of 8 Old 07-21-11, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

If there's any interest in this TV, please let me know. It's in good shape other than the problem being discussed. Free to a good home,,, or for parts, etc. Located in North Fort Myers, FL. I'll be listing it on Craigslist shortly (for free), come get it!