Mitsubishi WS-55809 does not power on shows a 2-4 code - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 06-08-11, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Mitsubishi WS-55809 does not power on shows a 2-4 code

Hello
Glad to find this site. I have a Mitsubishi ws 55809 that does not power on. When ran the code I got a 2-4 code = "vertical protector". I have been searching but has not found any recommended solution. can anyone help?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-08-11, 09:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Mitsubishi WS-55809 does not power on shows a 2-4 code

Hello,
That sounds like the sort of Repair that is going to require a Service Visit. I am not sure if you have the Extended Warranty, but it sounds like the Vertical Circuit Board might not be functioning properly.

While Mitsubishi RPTV's offer tremendous value, RPTV's are more prone to have problems. While I do not recommend Extended Warranties on the vast majority of AV Gear, I do on RPTV's.

I own a Sony SXRD RPTV that had 2 Optical Blocks fail within 10 Months. The Part alone costs a grand. I hope I am wrong about your TV and perhaps someone with more experience with Mitsubishi TV's will chime in.

If it does need Service and you do not have a Warranty, Best Buy has a 60 Inch Mitsubishi 1080p 3DTV for under 800 Dollars On Sale and a 65 Inch for 949 Dollars.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #3 of 13 Old 06-08-11, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

No the T/V is not under warranty and just started to have problem after several years of great service until 3 days ago. I was hoping for some "do it your self" repairs within couple of hundred bucks.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-11, 10:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
There well might be. This Thread should probably have been started in the TV Subforum as opposed to the Welcome Forum in respect to getting the best information.

However, from what I have read about that Code, the fix would definitely require a fairly solid knowledge of TV Repair. Again, there will be other folks chiming in on this Thread and perhaps someone who is more familiar with the inner workings of RPTV's.

The problem with having a Repair Man come out is that it usually costs at least 100 Dollars just to get them to come. I completely understand wanting to do it yourself. It is just impossible to gauge your background with DIY Repairs as you have just joined us.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #5 of 13 Old 06-08-11, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for you help and have a lot to learn on where to place future threads. Do I need to repost this thread on the TV subforum? If so how do I do it. I will be glad to do it.
I feel confident in DIY tasks as I have experance in work around electronic such as soldering and desoldering and reading ohm and volt meters both in automotive and household electronics. I welcome any information. I was hoping the code 2-4 repair would be simular to repairs for the code 2-2 such as replacing IC s and fuses.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-09-11, 06:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Thread moved to the Mitsubishi forum.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-09-11, 10:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I meant to move it last night and honestly fell asleep before doing so. I am truly sorry that I did not move it prior.
Good luck with the TV from the sound of it, you have a Background where a DIY fix is possible.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #8 of 13 Old 06-09-11, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks Mike P and Jungle Jack

Potiphar
post #9 of 13 Old 06-10-11, 03:51 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Vertical problems are usually either a bad connection, bad vertical IC, or bad supply. In some sets you can get a vertical code even though the underlying problem is power supply or horizontal failure. If the problem is not a simple bad solder joint, you likely need some skilled troubleshooting. This kind of thing can range from trivial to nearly impossible to find. You need to eliminate the trivial possibilities like a bad solder connection first. If you don't know how to do that, get a pro, just make sure it is a real professional and not just one of the many that will do service calls or claim to be repairmen. There is a dearth of the former and a proliferation of the latter these days.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-10-11, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks lcaillo for responding.
I have read several of your tech comments and I am glad to here from you on my vertical problem. I ahve removed the back of the TV and have identified Pica fuses mentioned in 2-2 code issues, is there a particular connections to start checking. I feel pretty comfortable trouble shooting the unit just not familiar with this unit as I have no schematics. If you know where I can down load the schematics for the ws55809 I would appreciate it or any info you care to share with me as to where to start.

Thanks
Potiphar