Planning ahead for car system - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #11 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Re: Planning ahead for car system

Quote:
dyohn wrote: View Post
You set up and amp so it won't clip by properly setting the gain. I have another tutorial about that I'll post later.

If you really want a 1000 watt amp that really puts out 1000 usable watts, you will have to spend $500 or more to get it. Look for amps from JL Audio, Alpine, Pioneer Premier, US Amps... look for an amp that is CEA rated at 1000 watts into your subwoofer load.

And no, a Shiva does not have the output capability of a Maelstrom. Two Shivas might be close to one 18" Maelstrom.
Alright, I'll check into those companies and see what they have. Should I look for lower powered amps from them also?

What I meany by comparing the two subs, is if the Shiva is in a car, and if the Mal is in a home, and both are playing regular music, won't the Shiva be able to come close due to the 20dB gain that comes from cars?

And, I just had an idea...how about using Anarchy's for the speakers and adding a tweeter??
It would definitely be quite expensive, but I bet it would sound pretty good

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-04-10 at 11:16 AM. Reason: gotta start school so I'll be back later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 11:34 AM
Senior Shackster

David

20db gain in a car? Where'd you get that?

Using Anarchy woofers in a car sounds like a great idea and it wouldn't be that expensive at all. Right now they are only $45 each which is far less than most good quality car audio woofers. The skill level that would be required is much higher because now you're talking about designing a crossover or using a bi-amp setup, but they should work well.
post #13 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 02:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Steven

For 1000RMS at 1ohm I'd look into a Sundown SAZ-1000D amp. Just over $300 and those amps are built right.
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...252d1000D.html

The Shiva X in a sealed box (for the car) would be the way to go IMO. The sub has some wild low end on it and in a car I don't think you'd need to port it unless you are going SPL crazy like David said.

20db of cabin gain at the lower octave isn't unheard of. Check this graph for transfer functions of different vehicles.

post #14 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

<Edited out>

I just found the picture. I don't know who did the testing, and what sub it was with, but it shows in-car, and in the house.

Quite a bit of difference.

That amp looks very convincing, Steven. I'll probably get that, and just a cheap Kicker or something to power the speakers.
I think what I will do, is get some cheap Kicker speakers that I have hear at first, then add better ones later, or Anarchy's instead, if I can a crossover design when the time comes.
Would you guys recommend putting the speakers in the doors, and just make a box and put it under the dashboard, kinda where your feet are? My brother-in-law's truck had this (the box went right on top of where the hump is in the floor for where the transmision goes.)

Build log:

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-07-10 at 10:44 PM.
post #15 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 04:45 PM
Banned!
Ryan

you can get 1000 watts super cheap, and in todays car audio setups I wouldnt run any less than that. BXi1610D can be had for $225 shipped and the dsc1500d for $230 shipped

-edit by mod -

Last edited by dyohn; 01-04-10 at 04:52 PM. Reason: removed live email listing
post #16 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 04:49 PM
Senior Shackster

David

Yes, a 20db in-car boost at certain frequencies is possible, of course. But it's not some sort of rule of thumb and that's what I was asking.

Hifonics power ratings are not consistent and their distortion is much higher than listed. YMMV with them but I can't recommend them for anything other than a street-beater application.
post #17 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
dyohn wrote: View Post
Yes, a 20db in-car boost at certain frequencies is possible, of course. But it's not some sort of rule of thumb and that's what I was asking.

Hifonics power ratings are not consistent and their distortion is much higher than listed. YMMV with them but I can't recommend them for anything other than a street-beater application.
But, either way, a car should have cabin gain over a house, at least it seems like it would.
I should probably Dynamat my car, right? Would you recommend something that would be cheaper than Dynamat?

Oh, and by the way, this system would probably go in a '68 Camaro
My dad and I are going to restore (and some....) it sometime soon, Painting it candy apple red, sweet engine (over 400 horse most likely ), custom heads, etc.

Build log:

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-04-10 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added stuff
post #18 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 08:35 PM
Banned!
Ryan

many hifonics amps have been benched, they do rated at 14.4 and distortion less than 1%
post #19 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 09:55 PM
Shackster
Tony

The sundown amp is great bang for the buck and built pretty well.

Zed audio also has a great new class D design that is great bang for the buck, albeit more expensive than the sundown.

Don't buy dynamat, it isn't the best buy performance vs price. I highly recommend you check out this site. Not only does he offer a great product, he gives the best advice for what makes sound deadeners work and how to use them properly. Most mfg out there tell you to cover everything and it simply is not needed. They only want to sell you more product.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I also use and highly recommend sound control products from Cascade Audio Engineering. I have used their products extensively in my install and they are great to work with and perform extremely well.
post #20 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Alright then, I will get that stuff from sound deadener.com
Basically, the Shiva in 1.5 cubes with 1,000w should be able to smoke two Kicker COMP C10's in a 2 cube box with 200w, right?

Build log:

Closed Thread