Planning ahead for car system - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #21 of 44 Old 01-05-10, 10:13 AM
Shackster
Tony

Re: Planning ahead for car system

I have not personally heard a Shiva, but based on reputation and specs I would say it is a great sub that is going to yield both excellent SQ and output. If you want to see what they look like theoretically, download WINISD (it's free) and model both subs. You can plug in the enclosure size and the power and overlay one graph over the other and see the difference. The program isn't going to show in-car response, which will be much much louder from 20 Hz to 100 Hz due to transfer function aka cabin gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 01-05-10, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I had actually already graphed them in WinISD, but I wanted to see if people's opinions would differ from what WinISD calculates.

I'm showing that the Shiva-X should be about 6dB louder at 30hz over the Kicker COMP 10's, 5dB louder at 40hz, about 2dB louder at 50hz, and 1-2dB more from 60hz to 100hz.

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-05-10 at 07:31 PM.
post #23 of 44 Old 01-05-10, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

For now, I'll just make a 4.5 cu.ft sealed box for my Mal-X, and buy a amp. I found an amp for my friend that David said was decent and puts out 2,000w at 1 ohm, so I guess I'll get this one when the time comes:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C2000.1D-.html

One of my friends said that I would need 0 gauge wiring, a second battery, and maybe an alternator to run the 2,000w amp. Would you guys agree with this?
This would be pretty much a temporary set up; I would just put a Shiva and 1,000w amp in the 68 camaro as I don't want to be rattling it apart, breaking welds, etc...
Its just going to be a weekend driver. Hopefully I can buy something like a older F-150 and put the Mal-X in there. Only problem is I don't know where I could put a 4.5 cube box in the F-150. I don't want to take the back seats out of it either.

Build log:

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-05-10 at 06:39 PM.

post #24 of 44 Old 01-05-10, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Any suggestions on where I could put a 4.5 cube box in a F-150? Hopefully I can just get a car because a box seems much easier to fit in a trunk if there is enough space available...

Build log:

post #25 of 44 Old 01-06-10, 05:16 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
For now, I'll just make a 4.5 cu.ft sealed box for my Mal-X, and buy a amp. I found an amp for my friend that David said was decent and puts out 2,000w at 1 ohm, so I guess I'll get this one when the time comes:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C2000.1D-.html

One of my friends said that I would need 0 gauge wiring, a second battery, and maybe an alternator to run the 2,000w amp. Would you guys agree with this?
This would be pretty much a temporary set up; I would just put a Shiva and 1,000w amp in the 68 camaro as I don't want to be rattling it apart, breaking welds, etc...
Its just going to be a weekend driver. Hopefully I can buy something like a older F-150 and put the Mal-X in there. Only problem is I don't know where I could put a 4.5 cube box in the F-150. I don't want to take the back seats out of it either.
power is easy to come by in-car. double check with my buddy, see if he can match that price... he does swap out for new warranty I believe.

EDIT

took out email... saw the above mod edit, my bad

Last edited by Ryan Anderson; 01-06-10 at 05:54 AM.
post #26 of 44 Old 01-06-10, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

If I used 1.5 inch think MDF for the 4.5 cube sealed box, would I still need bracing?

Build log:

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-07-10 at 10:41 PM.
post #27 of 44 Old 01-07-10, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Anyone? I would really like to cut out bracing to help cut on box size, but if 1.5" thick won't be as good as a braced box, then I will just go with bracing.

Build log:

post #28 of 44 Old 01-08-10, 12:24 PM
Shackster
Tony

With a box of that size, you have dimensions that are large enough that there is a good chance that bracing is necessary. I have tried in the past to do things the easy way, only to find that I should have taken the time to do it right and do it once. I would go with internal bracing for sure. It isn't that much more work and you can rest assured that you are going to get a good result, rather than hoping that you will.
post #29 of 44 Old 01-08-10, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Alright, I will just do a 1.5" thick front baffel for the driver, and the rest will be 3/4", lined with open cell foam.

This is the Head Unit that I am hoping to get sometime soon for my car

It's a little expensive, but will hopefully go down in price in some time.
I heard these Speakers in one of my buddies' truck, and thought they sounded good:

I think I will power them with this Amp

For $113 shipped from Amazon, it seems like a pretty good deal. I could wire the two speakers in series and run the amp in bridged, right? They would be seeing 150w @ 4Ω bridged (with the speakers wired in series) according to the specs. I could get a wiring kit with the amp, which seems like it would be a good thing to get

Its This
with the amp for $133 for both of them or so.

I might be able to buy like the speakers or Head unit this year, depending on what all I can do to earn money. But, I'm saving half of what I earn so I can actually buy a car to put this stuff in
Hopefully those items will stick around until I can get all of them. It seems like a pretty good setup to me.
Would you guys change anything that I listed to get?

Build log:

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-08-10 at 04:09 PM.
post #30 of 44 Old 01-09-10, 12:24 PM
Shackster
Tony

Why open cell foam inside the box? Open cell foam is a waste inside a sub cabinet. At the frequency band of a sub, the foam would have to be many, many times thicker (like a few feet) to absorb those frequencies. It is a matter of simple physics and the wavelength of the frequencies that you are trying to control. Brace the enclosure well and spend your money elsewhere, like on better mids and tweets.

There are a million options at the price range you have shown. I would personally go with looking for better equipment on the used market. At that price range the risk of having no warranty is outweighed by the fact you can get much better equipment for the cost.

The speakers that you choose are by far the most important part of the system. spend your money there.
Closed Thread