Planning ahead for car system - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #1 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Planning ahead for car system

I'm thinking about doing a Shiva-X Gen.2 for when I get a car. Maybe 1.5cu.ft sealed with 1,000w. Or maybe 1.5 cu.ft ported to 26hz but I can't find a good port length to keep the airspeed down. Only problem is, I can't find a car audio amp that can put out 1,000w at 1 ohm for a decent price... Would you recommend a different driver for my application?

Basically, I have no idea what I need to get, as far as specific stuff. I know I would need a headunit, decent amp...etc...
What all would you guys recommend for a headunit, speakers, sub, amp, capacitor (if needed),and whatever else I would need? I would like to keep the price as cheap as possible. Below $700 if possible? That seems pretty high to me, but for everything that I would need, maybe it is a realistic price.

Any help would be appreciated

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sub_junkie; 01-05-10 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 09:54 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Re: Planning ahead for car system

A lot of amps will do 1000 @ 1 ohm. 1.5 cubes is small to tune to 26Hz, but anything is doable. Capacitors...never... upgrade to AGM batteries, make sure you have good wiring and do "The Big 3".
post #3 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 09:57 AM
Senior Shackster

David

The Shiva is a great choice for car audio. I'd keep it sealed unless you are trying to build an SPL machine. Also, there is no reason to use 1000 watts unless you simply want to.... that being said, you cannot get that kind of "real" power cheaply. Is your $700 budget for everything? That might be tough...

The only head units I recommend these days are from Alpine or Eclipse. They offer the best combination of excellent sound quality and excellent reliability available today. Do not scrimp on your front main speakers: go shopping and listen to what's available and buy what you think sounds the best.

post #4 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
A lot of amps will do 1000 @ 1 ohm. 1.5 cubes is small to tune to 26Hz, but anything is doable. Capacitors...never... upgrade to AGM batteries, make sure you have good wiring and do "The Big 3".
What is The Big 3? And I figured that much too small for ported, but I just threw it out there...

Quote:
dyohn wrote: View Post
The Shiva is a great choice for car audio. I'd keep it sealed unless you are trying to build an SPL machine. Also, there is no reason to use 1000 watts unless you simply want to.... that being said, you cannot get that kind of "real" power cheaply. Is your $700 budget for everything? That might be tough...

The only head units I recommend these days are from Alpine or Eclipse. They offer the best combination of excellent sound quality and excellent reliability available today. Do not scrimp on your front main speakers: go shopping and listen to what's available and buy what you think sounds the best.
I thought of going for 1,000w so I wouldn't be in danger of clipping the amp if I turn it up loud.
Would you recommend a specific Alpine or Eclipse HU, or are all of them pretty good?
Should I just use the HU to power the speakers, or find an amp that could power both the sub and the speakers?

Build log:

post #5 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 10:13 AM
Senior Shackster

David

The "Big 3" refers to upgrading the main power and ground cables in the vehicle. And don't neglect upgrading the alternator if you are adding large amplifiers as most modern OEM alts cannot handle the extra load. I wrote a Big 3 tutorial on my home forum, perhaps I can re post it here.

You really can't go wrong with any HU from Alpine or Eclipse, IMO. Choose the one that fits your budget best or that has the features you want. Also, there are several good quality 5-channel amps out there but none that will get you to 1KW of subwoofer power. You really do not need that kind of power unless you are competing. I have two Shivas in my home theater right now each powered by 250 watts and that is more than sufficient.
post #6 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I know I don't need the power (sorta ) I just don't want to clip the amp a lot and have to buy another one later because it wasn't enough.
When you referred to the 5 channel amps, are you recommending that I run the speakers off of an amp rather than off of the HU?

Build log:

post #7 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 10:32 AM
Senior Shackster

David

You won't clip the amp (or any amp) if you set it up correctly.

Yes, if you want your main speakers to be able to "keep up" with a big subwoofer you'll need to use an amp. I recommend between 50 and 100 watts per channel. Most head units deliver no more than about 18 watts, by the way, even those that claim 50 watts.
post #8 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 10:52 AM
Senior Shackster

David

This might help you with your Big 3 plan. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...big-three.html
post #9 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

How can you set up an amp so it won't clip?
And, what I'm kinda planning is, getting a single Shiva, and adding another at a later time, if I want to. So, if I got a 1,000w amp, I could possibly make it so each sub is seeing 500w, and keep the same amp. And, if I still want more (I doubt it) I could go and pick up another 1,000w amp for the second Shiva.

Would a Shiva in a car be able to compare to a Mal-X in HT for music duties?

Build log:

post #10 of 44 Old 01-04-10, 11:01 AM
Senior Shackster

David

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
How can you set up an amp so it won't clip?
And, what I'm kinda planning is, getting a single Shiva, and adding another at a later time, if I want to. So, if I got a 1,000w amp, I could possibly make it so each sub is seeing 500w, and keep the same amp. And, if I still want more (I doubt it) I could go and pick up another 1,000w amp for the second Shiva.

Would a Shiva in a car be able to compare to a Mal-X in HT for music duties?
You set up and amp so it won't clip by properly setting the gain. I have another tutorial about that I'll post later.

If you really want a 1000 watt amp that really puts out 1000 usable watts, you will have to spend $500 or more to get it. Look for amps from JL Audio, Alpine, Pioneer Premier, US Amps... look for an amp that is CEA rated at 1000 watts into your subwoofer load.

And no, a Shiva does not have the output capability of a Maelstrom. Two Shivas might be close to one 18" Maelstrom.
Closed Thread