2010 Ford F-150 Platinum - System Upgrade Install - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 77 Old 08-06-12, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
2010 Ford F-150 Platinum - System Upgrade Install

You would think at 50 years old I would grow out of the DIY car audio installs and either be happy with the factory system or at least let a car audio shop do it for me. But no... I just can't leave it alone. I guess is makes me feel younger piddlin' around with it.

I have a 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew with the Sony system, Nav and SYNC. I will keep the factory head unit and replace the front speakers... as well as take the factory sub out and install dual 10's.

EDIT: Final install will include:
  • Factory Nav System with Sync
  • JBL MS-8 OEM Integration Processor
  • JL Audio HD900/5 Amp (Active on Fronts)
  • Hertz HSK-163 (3-Way Comps)
  • Factory Rear Door Speakers
  • Dual Sundown Audio SD-2 10" D4 Subwoofers (Custom Box)

I haven't long installed a system in my 07 Explorer Sport Trac, which I will be selling before too much longer. From that system I have a JL Audio HD900/5 amp and one Sundown SD-2 10 D4 subwoofer, of which I have ordered another to have dual 10's. I left Massive CK6 components in the ST because of the modification I had to do to install them ... and I want to try something different in the Platinum.

The JBL MS-8 OEM integration processor is on its way. I got it from Harman Audio (remanufactured).

Here are some preliminary pics of what I have to deal with...

I think I can tap into the current battery terminal with no issues... but will add another ground wire.

Ford conveniently placed a grommet pass-thru in the firewall behind the glove box where the power wire will be easy enough to fish thru. I already have a short wire passed thru for testing.

Factory subwoofer to be removed.

I plan to take pics as I progress, which will probably be a slow process due to my work schedule and having to use my truck for work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 08-06-12, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum - System Upgrade Install

I have some Dynamat Extreme for the doors and wanted to see what I have to deal with in the door speakers. Ford aligned them with the opening pretty well. Here is a shot of the 5 x 7 with the grill off.

There is not as much depth as I thought, although I do have about 1" between the door metal and the door panel to help out. The problem will be the diameter of the speaker magnet if it gets over about 2.5" deep. I can gain about a half inch by adding a plate between the metal door and the speaker. Of course if I use 6.5" speakers instead of 5 x 7's, I may be able to move the speaker over a bit to be sure to miss that window track bar.

Taking the SONY emblem off is not a big issue, but it does leave three tiny holes in the the speaker grill to deal with.

post #3 of 77 Old 08-08-12, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Here is where it will get somewhat challenging. I would prefer to use the factory tweeter locations, although there is room on the door to place them.... it makes more sense to keep it looking factory up front.

There are just a limited number of tweeters out there that will work... thus far a limit of one that I can find. The JL Audio C5 series has a tweeter that I believe will work perfectly... and I prefer a soft dome. It should fit the hole and overlap just enough.

The only issue at this point is the mid-bass of the C5 series. I remember using the JL Audio XR570CSi model way back in my 03 F150 Supercrew and I know I liked the highs, but it seems I remember the mid-bass being a tad on the shy side. I may be a bit spoiled with the mid-bass of the Massive CK6 speakers I have in the ST. Yet... I would think JL has come a ways with their speakers in nearly 10 years. I would think the C5-570 or C5-650 would be improved.

There is also the option to just purchase the JL Audio tweeters ... C5-075ct ... and find a suitable mid-bass driver with a lower Fs and Qts. That opens up the options to use some of the DIY home speakers for the mid-bass in the doors. I could also take out the Massive CK6 mid-bass drivers in the 07 ST and stick something cheap in there since those are now powered by the head unit. Use the CK6 mid-bass and JL tweets.

So at this point... it is really coming down to what to get for the front speakers and trying to fit the tweeters in the factory location.

post #4 of 77 Old 08-17-12, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I have settled on going with a 3-way setup in the front using Hertz Hi-Energy HSK-163 speakers. Mids will be mounted in the window sail. The tweeters in this setup should fit even better than the JL Audio set. This will be an active/passive setup. Active between the midbass and mid/highs, which will be on the included passive crossover.

post #5 of 77 Old 08-17-12, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Sub box is built.

The box volume is currently .637ft³ gross... 477ft³ net (subtracting .08ft³ each for driver displacement).

If my calculations are right with polyfill:
  • .5lbs = 10% increase in 1ft³
  • .5lbs = 20% increase in .5ft³
  • .75lbs = 30% increase in .5ft³
  • 1lb = 40% increase in .5ft³
I will add .75lbs (12oz) to get the box from .477 to .620 (estimating about a 30% increase in volume)... or about .31ft³ net volume per sub. There might be a slightly higher increase since the box is a tad smaller than .5ft³.

The dual sub setup is going to be very limited in box volume, yet the single sub I had in the 07 ST sounded pretty good in a .31ft³ box gross volume (.23ft³ net) and stuffed with polyfill... although I am not sure how much polyfill I had in it. My thinking is I will have a little more volume per sub in this box, so it should extend a little lower in the frequency range. It probably won't be all that noticeable... and I am not sure a 3db increase in SPL by doubling the sub drivers will make that much difference either, but I will see what it does and go from there.

post #6 of 77 Old 08-22-12, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I got the mids and tweets installed today... and the speaker wire ran to the mid, which was no easy task.

Ford has the neat little plug for the door wiring that snaps into the door jam.

So... I drilled a small hole on the back side of the connectors and fished the speaker wire through. I used a nylon rod I have for fishing. There is a large rubber grommet/cover on the inside that already has a bundle of wires passing through it, so I fished the rod through the drill hole and finessed my way through the grommet, then pulled my speaker wire through... and then fished it through the door harness cover and on up to the mid.

Cutting the hole out for the midrange required cutting part of the window vent. Not a real big deal and it doesn't look super nice and neat, but it will work. I covered the cutout part of the vent with Gorilla tape and a small piece of Dynamat. This gave me plenty of room to mount the mid.

Attention Hertz... what is the deal with only giving me 4 screws for the midrange drivers? I need 8... and preferably 8 of the same size/type. You gave me 4 that were right... and 4 that would work, but they don't match. I don't think anyone will notice them and start comparing, but com'on... where is QC in packing? Always toss in more than we need, don't short change us.

And the mid/tweets are mounted. I ain't crazy about the black grills, but I can live with it, provided they end up sounding good.

The MS-8 is being replaced after two tries with a refurbished model, both looked terrible... like they were in the rear floorboard of a car for six months with someone stepping all over them. Harman agreed to replace the second one with a new one at no extra charge... first class of them. I should have it by first of next week and will be able to get some noise in this ride by the next weekend or so. Bama plays Michigan on 9/1 ... so I probably won't get to work on it and finish it up until after that game.
post #7 of 77 Old 08-22-12, 03:48 AM
Shackster
Matt

I heard those Hertz last summer for the first time. Was really impressed at how clean they were even when pressed to some insane levels.
post #8 of 77 Old 08-22-12, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I am looking forward to hearing them. This is the first time I have ever installed a 3-way setup.
post #9 of 77 Old 08-25-12, 06:58 PM
Shackster

Was checking this out over on diyma, looks great. Very detail oriented and shows your skills.

Have you considered full active? An XD200/2 could be hid most anywhere. Any plans for an RTA?
post #10 of 77 Old 08-25-12, 07:35 PM
Senior Shackster

I'm interested to hear what you think of the sd subs. I have one of those 10's for my tundra that I won from sundowns give away. I'm just waiting to put the money together for the other components that I need.