HD DVD and the Internet - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 06-17-07, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Re: HD DVD and the Internet

To bobgpsr & Javry:

I apoligize, I have found errors in my previous posts that may be causing confusion. I repeatedly used the term “router” when I was actually referring to a “cable modem” in reference to connecting the existing cable line to the HD DVD player. I will delete the posts where I mentioned this and ask that you do the same so that it does not confuse anyone else.

I will attempt to clarify my original question below:

My House Layout:

1st Floor Office – and internet connection contains a cable line which is connected to the cable modem >> wireless router >> desktop PC.

Basement HT Room – The equipment rack ifor the HT room includes HD DVD player and Cable box for TV viewing.

I figure I have at least 3 options for an internet connection in the HT room so that I can connect the HD DVD player.

1) I know I could connect a wireless adapter to the HD player and existing wireless network in the house but think this may be to slow and prefer a hard line connection.

2) I could run network cable from the HD player to the router in my 1st floor office but this would be over 150’ of cable required plus fishing wires behind walls.

3) I would like to take advantage and use the cable line for cable box that is already there in the HT room equipment rack.

[B]Questions:[/B]

1) Can I connect a second cable modem in the house for internet access?

2) Would it be considered the same account or a seperate account with additional bill per month?

3) There is no computer in the HT room, can I connect directly from Cable Line >> Cable Modem >> HD DVD Player?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Tommy; 06-17-07 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 06-18-07, 02:40 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Quote:
Tommy wrote: View Post
3) I would like to take advantage and use the cable line for cable box that is already there in the HT room equipment rack.

[B]Questions:[/B]

1) Can I connect a second cable modem in the house for internet access?
I just called My Cable provider and asked them this question. They said no it is not possible, there can only be one Modem connected per house connection, although there can be more than one cable set-top box's in the house. I asked them if I paid for a second account could they do it and they said no it is not possible with my provider, its a hardware issue not a company policy issue, but call you're provider and ask them because it might be possible on their system.

Quote:
3) There is no computer in the HT room, can I connect directly from Cable Line >> Cable Modem >> HD DVD Player?
Yes. My HD DVD player is connected directly to my router which is connected directly to my cable modem, with no PC in the chain

Looks like you may have to run a cable from you're 1st floor office to the lounge or use wireless.

cheers

Certified Professional Home Theater 1

Last edited by MACCA350; 06-18-07 at 03:01 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-18-07, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Quote:
MACCA350 wrote: View Post
I just called My Cable provider and asked them this question. They said no it is not possible, there can only be one Modem connected per house connection, although there can be more than one cable set-top box's in the house. I asked them if I paid for a second account could they do it and they said no it is not possible with my provider, its a hardware issue not a company policy issue, but call you're provider and ask them because it might be possible on their system.

Yes. My HD DVD player is connected directly to my router which is connected directly to my cable modem, with no PC in the chain

Looks like you may have to run a cable from you're 1st floor office to the lounge or use wireless.

cheers
Hi Macc, thanks for taking the time for this. According to a statment I previously saw on my cable providers site (Service Electric) it does say that 2 PC internet connections are allowed per household and unlimited wireless connections.

I'm reading this as 2 hardwired connetions but when I called customer support they just keep giving me info about how to set up a wireless network and had no clue about anything besides that concerning the internet.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-18-07, 10:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
Hi Macc, thanks for taking the time for this. According to a statment I previously saw on my cable providers site (Service Electric) it does say that 2 PC internet connections are allowed per household and unlimited wireless connections.

I'm reading this as 2 hardwired connetions but when I called customer support they just keep giving me info about how to set up a wireless network and had no clue about anything besides that concerning the internet.
I'm pretty sure when they say two PC internet connections are allowed, they are referring to IP addresses not two cable modems. When I had Road Runner a few years back (moved and had to switch providers) they allowed up to three PC's or devices. That meant I could use a simple hub and not a router and the cable modem would act as a DHCP server. Back then routers were 4 to 5 times what they cost now, so a hub was nice.

I personally would go for the hardwire unless you just can't get a cable run down there, but that doesn't seem like it should be a problem. Wireless is okay but subject to interference and potential drop outs. I have an old house and can't keep a wireless connection up. For viewing streaming trailers or even downloading them it would be fine and worse case just an irritation if the connection dropped, but if you were doing a firmware update and it drops... I just wouldn't want to be in that situation myself personally.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-18-07, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure when they say two PC internet connections are allowed, they are referring to IP addresses not two cable modems. When I had Road Runner a few years back (moved and had to switch providers) they allowed up to three PC's or devices. That meant I could use a simple hub and not a router and the cable modem would act as a DHCP server. Back then routers were 4 to 5 times what they cost now, so a hub was nice.

I personally would go for the hardwire unless you just can't get a cable run down there, but that doesn't seem like it should be a problem. Wireless is okay but subject to interference and potential drop outs. I have an old house and can't keep a wireless connection up. For viewing streaming trailers or even downloading them it would be fine and worse case just an irritation if the connection dropped, but if you were doing a firmware update and it drops... I just wouldn't want to be in that situation myself personally.
It now says something to the effect of "an additional connection" being part of the package. They may have changed there wording I recall it previously stating 2 connections and now see the wording above.

Either way it seperatly says something else about being allowed to share up to five computer connections which I am reading as different.

I would think sharing connections are as you say me connectiong everything by a hub or router but I think the additional connection would be exactly that an additional connection.

----

You are right though, I can just run the wire myself but truly hate the thought of paying for 150' of wire, fishing it through walls, drilling through the ceiling/floor in my office, having another wire run across the floor to my desk, all this while there is a cable line that is sitting right there in the equipment rack. There must be an easy way to take advantage of this.

post #16 of 18 Old 07-10-07, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Just to update my own thread on the subject:

I ran a 100' ethernet wire over the weekend from my wireless router with wire ports available on 1st floor to my HT rack for a permenant connection. Setup was real easy and directions easy to follow.

It worked great. I updated the firmware and then sat down and enjoyed the new web enabled interactivity features available on the Blood Diamond disc.

Since I do also use this router for a wireless network that is also running in the house and I've had previous problems with it constantly needed to be reset/rebooted due to dropping its connections constantly, I am looking to replace it.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless router that has available wired ports and doesnt have this problem?

post #17 of 18 Old 07-10-07, 09:13 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good wireless router that has available wired ports and doesnt have this problem?
Hi Tom,

I have a Linksys WRT54G that is a wireless router with, I think, three or four wired ports as well. It a 10/100 MBPS device, so won't work if you need 1G data rates, but most of us don't need that yet...

Never had a problem with it, and it runs five PCs and one Vonage telephone modem thingy. Incoming data is from a Comcast cable modem. Well, when I say "never had a problem with it" I should say that I have to reboot things every once in a while, maybe twice a year. But I just power cycle everything and it's fine. So, when that happens, I can't tell if it's the Linksys, the cable modem, etc., but I don't really care because it's so infrequent. With that in mind, are you sure your problem is in the router, or could it be somewhere else like the modem itself? I guess you'll have to start swapping things out to start that troubleshooting.

Good luck!

-- Otto
post #18 of 18 Old 07-10-07, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

When only the modem is connected directly to the pc, I never noticed a dropped connection or had to reset/reboot anything. Now it is pretty much daily I got the kids complaining they cant get on the internet till I reset it...