Not really a home theater freack but surely fascinated by acoustic - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 04-24-16, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Not really a home theater freack but surely fascinated by acoustic

Hello - very impressed by the quality of this forum I thought this could help me in my quest to sound !
I am from Belgium and I am basically a drummer (but a late starter).
Drums are load instruments and they always bring up issues when it comes to sound control who ever you are (rearshall, garage, performing, ...).
today I usually mic my instrument and try to control the whole signal send to the mixing table.

Now if I joined the forum it is basically related to a rearshall issue.
for neighbourhood reason I had to dig myself in the basement of my house for training on my instrument. I managed to isolate a ca. 10 - 12 m2 room where I can play without anoying too much the inhabitants of the house and the neighbours.
The isolation was made by covering walls and ceiling with raw panterre (acoustix) plates.
So it is working fine however the sound level of the drum into the room is hardly manageable (especially the cymballs and the snare are very agressive). For a while I did not care and was just playing with ear plugs or studio helmet.
Today it start to be very enoying because you loose all the dynamics and sensitivity of the instrument - I basically play without hearing me and this is not very efficient.
I imagine that improving the acoustic of the room is related to placing absorbers and diffracter but I would like to do this in a efficient way and not just trying by try and error (can take really long, can cost a lot and for an uncertain result).
So I have discovered the REW 5 tool and recoreder the response of my rearshall room. This should be a good step to understand what is going on and what potential solution is available.
The issue however is that ... I am not capable to interpret the results and draw any conclusion !! So if any one out there can give advice upon shipping the REW records I would be very greatfull and would gladly share the results !!

enjoy you sunday whatever you do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-24-16, 11:11 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Not really a home theater freack but surely fascinated by acoustic

Welcome to the SHACK... Glad you joined.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 10 Old 04-25-16, 12:16 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Having dealt with loud instruments in small spaces for a large portion of my life, I can tell you there's not really much you can do in the way of room treatment here to make it possible to play the full dynamic range of the kit AND be able to play without hearing protection. The problem is that there simply isn't enough air in the room to dissipate the energy you're producing when you play loud, so you protect your ears. But by protecting your ears, you've effectively introduced a noise gate on the audio inputs to your skull and sensitive playing lacks sufficient energy to open the gates up.

They only thing I can think of that might help is to put a mic in the room, and route that mic into a set of good tracking headphones or IEMs so you can hear what's going on while having control over the total volume being presented to your ears. If you go this route, you'll need phones with REALLY GOOD isolation and a mic that will tolerate very high SPL.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-25-16, 02:26 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Hello and welcome to HTS

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #5 of 10 Old 04-25-16, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hello All. Thanks for the feed back. DqMcClain I am afraid you are right because you are describing exactly the point where I am. I use microphones to pick up the snare, toms and cymbals and route that to my hear through studio headphones (by the way, what is IEM?).
I was just wondering if there was no way around and if there was no magic trick to soak and control better all that waves energy.
Just in case I have posted the REW record on another post so you can have a look at them.
I realized over night that the record is actually completely biased because it was made with the drum inside the room.
So the signal is absorbed at the pitch of the different elements of the drum and the cymbals start to resonate at the high frequencies of the signal.
Is it worth doing a record in the room without the drum inside ?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 Old 04-25-16, 08:29 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I wouldn't bother moving your kit and measuring the room without it.... since you care about the response of the room with the kit inside, it doesn't make sense to measure a circumstance that won't exist.

Unfortunately, physics isn't on your side on this one. Anything you do to reduce echo/reverb in the room is going to cost you air space, and that will at best make your drums decay a little faster. But since you're losing air, all of the original signal you're producing by playing is going to have less air to dissipate the energy in the first place.

IEM = In Ear Monitor. Westone, Shure, UE, Etymotic, etc make earphones for professional musicians who must be able to hear a mix at a safe level while standing on a stage with concert program-level music blasting around them. The biggest thing that separates IEMs from "ear buds" is that they are rated for noise isolation. Many companies also offer custom-fit ear pieces so that the isolation is as complete as possible and the efficiency of signal transmission to your ear is maximized. You'll probably spend less money and time getting a proper set of IEMs than chasing an acoustic solution that I believe doesn't exist.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-25-16, 11:02 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I agree. Micing and going through a board is the best way to do what you need. My at home (drums) practice studio is small also. Ceiling height is like 6' 1". There's just nowhere for all that acoustic energy to go, and there is a LOT of it. For cheap, I sometimes use Etymotic plugs. They're fairly linear and allow you to hear hi hat and ride articulation pretty well. I use 2 kick drums and those can get muddy with plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 04-26-16, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Really nice to have all the advices and to realize that physic is against me (the more I absorb the less air I have ..)
. I might make a little trial of putting absorbers on side, back and ceiling but it looks it definitely make more sense to invest in proper mic and ear monitor or quality head phone... (Or move the house

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-16, 08:03 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Well, the nice thing about having a good set of IEMs is that you have a good set of IEMs and they'll be useful anywhere you'd want headphones. Spending money on acoustic treatment may or may not work, and that money is literally glued to the wall in your practice room serving only one purpose.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-16, 12:44 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

If you use Facebook or Twitter, click on the supplied links and follow us! It's a great way to find out about new equipment reviews, news, and HTS forum announcements. We also feature lots of other content.

See you on the forum!

Regards, Todd