Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 12:45 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D - Blu-ray Review

Just got my copy in today and watched it a little bit ago... I gotta say the audio in this movie is awesome. I took a peek at my Monster power conditioner during the last 15 minutes of the movie, and it was sucking some power for the bass! The most we had ever hit was 5.5 amps watching a heavy bass music bluray, and this time it was hitting 6+ amps at -20( from reference levels)! Does anyone know how low the bass actually is on this disc?

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Just got my copy in today and watched it a little bit ago... I gotta say the audio in this movie is awesome. I took a peek at my Monster power conditioner during the last 15 minutes of the movie, and it was sucking some power for the bass! The most we had ever hit was 5.5 amps watching a heavy bass music bluray, and this time it was hitting 6+ amps at -20( from reference levels)! Does anyone know how low the bass actually is on this disc?
It gets in the very low teens
post #13 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 02:17 AM
Senior Shackster

A hair under 15hz but its got insane levels, just flat out loud and plentiful bass! and not to mention a mix that's pretty unique! It does clip a bit but not at all that bad. I for one loved it!

post #14 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 06:15 AM
Senior Shackster

This was the worst movie of the year in my opinion. I understand story/plot can take a back seat to special effects in these films, but the story in this film wasn't even in the car! You really need to turn your brain off to watch this. Don't ask question, just keep eating popcorn and watch the explosions.

I'd really like to see one of these films in the hands of a director that cares about a story line.

I think your rating was a little high. 58 would probably more accurate.
Just my 2 cents.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 09:23 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
f0zz wrote: View Post
This was the worst movie of the year in my opinion. I understand story/plot can take a back seat to special effects in these films, but the story in this film wasn't even in the car! You really need to turn your brain off to watch this. Don't ask question, just keep eating popcorn and watch the explosions.

I'd really like to see one of these films in the hands of a director that cares about a story line.

I think your rating was a little high. 58 would probably more accurate.
Just my 2 cents.
The movie only has 2.5 stars... Which would be around a 50% rating. The reason it has a 88 is because of the other ratings for the movie... ie Audio etc.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #16 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Ellis is right. 70% of the movie's weighting is based on the audio and video scares, so the final score tends to lean towards how well the AQ/PQ holds up to since we're more of a tech site rather than a movie only site.
post #17 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 02:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Did anyone ever watch Transformers as a kid? I thought they did a good job of evolving the story line to include elements from the various implementations of the series.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-01-14, 04:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Audiofan1 wrote: View Post
Did anyone ever watch Transformers as a kid? I thought they did a good job of evolving the story line to include elements from the various implementations of the series.
I think this is one of the worst parts of the franchise. I don't think anyone working on these films ever watched the cartoons growing up. In this particular movie, the dinobots were just tossed in for no reason that made sense. I don't want to spoil it, but it was very disappointing to say the least.

My mistake on the rating.
post #19 of 27 Old 10-02-14, 09:59 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

The audio was fantastic. Was a little disappointed in some of the CGI as it was obvious in some parts of film. Overall thought is was good action-packed-mindless entertainment. I went in knowing the plot and storyline would be thin and just let myself enjoy the action. It delivers on that front.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-02-14, 11:25 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

We went ahead and got a copy for the kids but they won't see it till Christmas. It comes in an interesting Transformer case with Optimus Prime toy. From looking at the box I am not sure if this one has Atmos but oh well they will enjoy it regardless plus no Atmos at home.

http://www.target.com/p/transformers...+of+extinction