Panasonic PH-50PX75U Lost Channel - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-11, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Panasonic PH-50PX75U Lost Channel

When my wife sat her remote on it's keyboard a few days ago it somehow completely eliminated Ch 66. I have reset the TV to OEM and completely rescanned and added all channels, but it will not find 66. If you punch in 66 or 66-1 or it's UHF channel 42 it flips to 66-501.

No channel lock is set and no password for anything. Everything else on the set seems fine and it is functioning perfectly except for this strange problem. Channel 66 is a strong channel and is fine on my three other TV's. I am on antenna with no connection to any other outside sources, but do have computer and DVD players connected and working fine.

Any help on this, or where else to turn for an answer. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-11, 07:01 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Panasonic PH-50PX75U Lost Channel

Your post has been moved to a more appropriate location to make information easier to find and to make it more likely that others who are interested will find your post.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-25-11, 07:04 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

If you truly reset the unit, my guess is that sitting on the remote was incidental and they changed the mapping of the channel. How did you " reset the TV to OEM" precisely?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-26-11, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for getting me to a better location. I have the model number wrong, it is TH-50PX75U

The last thing in the on screen menu under "Setup" is "Reset". At the bottom of page 34 of the "Quick Start Guide" it says to use this to reset Setup Menu. That required creation of a Password as I had not previously made one. I clicked on "Reset" and created the password, then as it said waited. After that operation everything including Picture and Audio settings as well as all preset channels had been reverted to OEM settings. Then having first made notes of all settings I proceeded to scan all digital channels and reset all my other settings. It found all my previously locked in channels as well as a few more, but again didn't find Ch 66 although until this incident Ch 66 was fine. I did this using the antenna rotator to attempt it from three different directions that encompasses all my received channels. I am aware that a third scan erases all so took this into account. No success on getting Ch 66 back. Ch 66-1, 2, 3 and 4 all still work on my other three sets connected to same antenna.

To clarify, she did not sit on the remote. I meant she put her remote in an organizer caddy on the end table beside her chair and at that precise moment, this problem occurred. I am assuming it had to do with a combination of her remote buttons getting pushed at the same time and causing the problem.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
If you truly reset the unit, my guess is that sitting on the remote was incidental and they changed the mapping of the channel. How did you " reset the TV to OEM" precisely?

Last edited by Casey; 10-26-11 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Correct Model Number
post #5 of 8 Old 10-26-11, 08:40 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Did the signal level change?

post #6 of 8 Old 10-26-11, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

No to low signal. I live in central Florida up on the Ridge. We have excellent line of sight to both Tampa market and Ft Myers market from the west side of the Ridge. Right now we are in a cool dry clear weather pattern and actually have an improved signal strength from the normal.

I talked to my wife, and got this additional information. She was watching a movie on Ch 66-1 and all was fine. She then put her remote in the caddy, at which time the TV jumped from Ch 66-1 to Ch 3-1 which is another of our normal channels. She then either pushed Recall or 66 to get it back on Ch 66-1. This is our normal procedure and has always worked fine. This time, the TV went to 66-501 which had only a blacked out screen and a no signal message. Since that time nothing I have tried will cause Ch 66 or it's sub channels to come in on this one set only. All is fine on all other TV's, and the sudden change did not cause any problem with channel 3-1 or any other function of this Panasonic.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Did the signal level change?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-26-11, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Now to get slightly off topic. I am trying to find an HMDI external tuner similar to the USB units sold for computers. The purpose would be to simply bypass the Panasonic tuner and go into HDMI which should restore all channels including 66-1 through 4 as the Panasonic tuning section would be bypassed and it would be far cheaper than having the Panasonic repaired to get this one channel back. I have found a couple that seem to be this type. Does anyone have a recommendation for this.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-11, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Solved the problem using a DigitalStream DTX-9900 I had left over from the analog to digital changeover a couple of years ago. Simply fed an antenna input to the D/A converter and sent it's outputs to the TV Video 1 and Audio 1 inputs.

Now receive Ch 66-1 through 66-4 by simply going to the Video1 choice in the inputs menu. Works great and the 480i is fine for ION reruns and old movies.

Problem solved to my satisfaction and all other channels are still great in all their digital splendor using the tuner in the TV.