upgrading to stk392-150 do u have to change resistors? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 04-09-12, 09:07 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: upgrading to stk392-150 do u have to change resistors?

You should download the manual and verify the circuit, as well as to have the convergence procedure BEFORE attempting to service your set. There are several sites that have free manuals, and virtually anything is available for under $20. We have sites listed in the stickies in the Service and Support forums and in the vendor listings.

Don't trust what you get from others online, and don't trust people who sell kits. Go with the correct documentation from the manufacturer and what is in your set and do your best to verify your understanding of the circuit. Typically, the resistors that fail are much lower ohm values than what you listed above, but resistors are easy to test with a multimeter. Just be aware of what is in the circuit in parallel with them.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 04-09-12, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
You should download the manual and verify the circuit, as well as to have the convergence procedure BEFORE attempting to service your set. There are several sites that have free manuals, and virtually anything is available for under $20. We have sites listed in the stickies in the Service and Support forums and in the vendor listings.

Don't trust what you get from others online, and don't trust people who sell kits. Go with the correct documentation from the manufacturer and what is in your set and do your best to verify your understanding of the circuit. Typically, the resistors that fail are much lower ohm values than what you listed above, but resistors are easy to test with a multimeter. Just be aware of what is in the circuit in parallel with them.
convergence resistors are usually low correct? Can they go up to 120ohm?
post #13 of 20 Old 04-10-12, 05:14 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

There are usually some in the circuit in that range. It is more common for the lower value resistors on the outputs to fail. Regargless, you work with what your set presents. If there are resistors that are open or damaged, they need to be replaced with original values unless there is a modification from the manufacturer.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #14 of 20 Old 04-10-12, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
There are usually some in the circuit in that range. It is more common for the lower value resistors on the outputs to fail. Regargless, you work with what your set presents. If there are resistors that are open or damaged, they need to be replaced with original values unless there is a modification from the manufacturer.
just curious why they only included the small values. i guess cause they are most common
post #15 of 20 Old 04-10-12, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

i looked at the resistors and 2 looked burnt. i took them out but still measure 2.2 i replaced them tv still turns on and shuts off for a few seconds. i didnt have this problem before i changed the chips.
Kit came with stk392-110 I pulled stk392-150 out of it. I assume previous tech put stk9392-150 in so c ould i be bad chips?

Last edited by wantboost; 04-10-12 at 09:14 PM.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-10-12, 06:04 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
wantboost wrote:

just curious why they only included the small values. i guess cause they are most common
Who is they?

post #17 of 20 Old 04-10-12, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Tvrepairkits. They just included the 2.2 ones which I guess are the output resistors. So did u see my other reply of what's currently happeneing with the tv
post #18 of 20 Old 04-10-12, 10:59 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Yes, I saw it. You probably missed something and damaged a chip or you got bad chips to start with. If resistors are damaged I would replace them.

Please read the sticky thread very carefully. It is very hard these days to get good parts since most are not originals, even if they are claimed to be. You can run the set with the chips removed to confirm that you do not have some other problem. Verify the power supplies to the ICs are present and check the d.c. offset.

post #19 of 20 Old 04-10-12, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

i have no idea how to check --- power supplies to the ICs are present and check the d.c. offset.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-11-12, 05:14 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

If you cannot make basic checks to troubleshoot your set like measuring supply voltages, you probably will not be successful in repairing it. As you can see from the convergence repair sticky thread, there are many potential ways that these repairs can be more complex than simply buying a kit and replacing the parts. I have provided a quite thorough discussion of the nature of these problems and the many things that need to be considered and checked. The cold hard truth is that not every problem can be solved by matching symptoms to the parts that need to be changed. This is why there are professional repair technicians with years of training who still have trouble figuring out some of the more challenging problems.

My suggestion is to either follow the advice in the convergence repair thread very carefully, get a multimeter and make the basic checks suggested, get the service manual and come to understand enough of the circuit and convergence procedures to make some basic checks and alignments, and start from scratch with the repair using parts from a known reliable supplier.

Otherwise, you are just "shotgunning" the repair and you may or may not get anywhere. The next steps require some troubleshooting and analysis. It is impossible to give good advice on how to proceed without some basic troubleshooting having been done.