upgrading to stk392-150 do u have to change resistors? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 03-25-12, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

upgrading to stk392-150 do u have to change resistors?

originally tv came with stk392-110 if i upgrade to stk392-150 do i have to change resistors?

PANASONIC PT-53TW53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-26-12, 01:59 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: upgrading to stk392-150 do u have to change resistors?

You need to change resistors if there are any that are open or damaged. I know of no cases where the -150 does not directly sub for the -110. There might be some, but in many years of repairing these sets I never found one.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-26-12, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I ordered stk392-110 for PT-53TW53G before i had even opened it. When i opened the TV it had stk392-150 that the previous tech upgraded to, so I replaced the chips anyway. When I turned it on it goes on for a bit you can see the display but then shuts off and blinks 3 times. Any ideas?

Last edited by wantboost; 03-26-12 at 12:14 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-26-12, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Can i get the resistors from my local electronics store or have to order from Panasonic?
Will the convergence chips i put in be damaged now and how come the set would stay on before i changed the chips?
Can i still measure the resistors WITH the convergence chips soldered on?
post #5 of 20 Old 03-27-12, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

lcaillo u there? help plz
post #6 of 20 Old 03-27-12, 06:54 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

If you have open resistors, you likely damaged a chip. If your set was serviced previously and had another failure, you likely either had bad parts (very common) or a sloppy repair that does not pay attention to detail (also very common). The resistors should be available at any parts supplier with good selection. Online, Digi-Key is a good source.

Please read the first ten posts of the convergence repair sticky in the DIY Repair forum VERY carefully.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...e-repairs.html

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-27-12, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
If you have open resistors, you likely damaged a chip. If your set was serviced previously and had another failure, you likely either had bad parts (very common) or a sloppy repair that does not pay attention to detail (also very common). The resistors should be available at any parts supplier with good selection. Online, Digi-Key is a good source.
should i try the resistors first this way i can save the chips and hope i didnt damage them?

Last edited by wantboost; 03-27-12 at 08:39 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-29-12, 05:51 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Yes, replace the bad resistors and check your connections carefully first. You can run the set with the chips removed, so you can remove them one at a time and maybe identify which is bad. Check your power supplies to the ICs to be sure you did not blow a fuse or circuit protector.

post #9 of 20 Old 04-01-12, 06:32 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Your post has been moved to a more appropriate location to make information easier to find and to make it more likely that others who are interested will find your post.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-09-12, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Yes, replace the bad resistors and check your connections carefully first. You can run the set with the chips removed, so you can remove them one at a time and maybe identify which is bad. Check your power supplies to the ICs to be sure you did not blow a fuse or circuit protector.
do u have the manual can u tell me the value of the resistors associated with the convergence for thi set pt-53tw53g ? i have a descrepency from the email what i was told i was gonna get compare to what showedup in the mail

are the 82 and 120 ohm part of the convergence? Also i looked for the sticky for manuals i could not find it??
thanks

Last edited by wantboost; 04-09-12 at 11:40 PM.