Panasonic Viera TC-P65S2 suddenly developed vertical bar. Help! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-13, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Panasonic Viera TC-P65S2 suddenly developed vertical bar. Help!

Hey All,

My 65" Viera just developed what I thought was a thin red vertical line about 1/3 of the way in from the right side of the panel, but upon closer inspection it appears to be an approximately 3" wide vertical bar of what I can only describe as "odd" distortion, with the very right hand side of the "bar" being the worst. It is most evident when the screen is black (say, when switching inputs) where the full width of the bar is apparent as a different shade or value of black. When there is a picture on the screen the full width of the bar is not particularly noticeable, again, with the far right edge being the most obvious as it is largely a thin reddish line. When I get right up on the screen it appears that the bar is comprised of very thin vertical lines of blac, or "no picture," spaced evenly at about 1-3 mm apart, and the red line at the right edge isn't always red and appears to change in response to changes in whatever is appearing on the screen. So if there's movement on the screen, say a car going by or someone walking across a room, the bar in general, and the extreme right edge in particular, seem to change color and move, almost like what's being displayed there is actually from somewhere else in the picture. Does that make sense? Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-10-13, 10:45 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Re: Panasonic Viera TC-P65S2 suddenly developed vertical bar. Help!

First, I'd make sure it's the Panny by trying another video source (maybe you've already done that??) to see if it exhibits the same issue. If it does, that pretty much confirms it's the display. If it is the Panny, it doesn't sound like anything a simple adjustment would take care of, so I would give Panasonic a call and see what they have to say.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-10-13, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it does it on all sources. Looking for a replacement PDP now. Any source suggestions?

post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-13, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Been trying to find my camera all day to photograph the gripe, but daughter has it in Cali. BUT!!!! But, I just went into the room the set is in and IT'S GONE! The bar is GONE! What does that mean??? The television wasn't even off, just in dimmed standby. I had unplugged it earlier today for a half hour or so to reset and give anything heat related a chance to cool off, but it was still there when I plugged it in and turned it on. It's been on for a couple hours now and had been on standby for a bit when I bumped the remote and it woke up the line was adios. Still leary. Does this bode any better for prognosis?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-11-13, 10:00 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Quote:
snaxforgandhi wrote: View Post
Been trying to find my camera all day to photograph the gripe, but daughter has it in Cali. BUT!!!! But, I just went into the room the set is in and IT'S GONE! The bar is GONE! What does that mean??? The television wasn't even off, just in dimmed standby. I had unplugged it earlier today for a half hour or so to reset and give anything heat related a chance to cool off, but it was still there when I plugged it in and turned it on. It's been on for a couple hours now and had been on standby for a bit when I bumped the remote and it woke up the line was adios. Still leary. Does this bode any better for prognosis?
Next time you see the line, try to find the camera again to get a picture - that will work every time (not really)!

No, that really doesn't help much. It's a transient fault - the worst kind. You can be happy it's gone but it could return. It may be some kind of interference from something else that switched off, but that's just a wild guess. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best at this point.