Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Panasonic / Technics (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/panasonic-technics/)
-   -   Panasonic TC-P42C2 powerless (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/panasonic-technics/54158-panasonic-tc-p42c2-powerless.html)

mvalent000 01-22-12 02:57 PM

Panasonic TC-P42C2 powerless

Hello everyone! I am a newby to the forum and I am looking for some help and information.

I have a Panasonic TC-P42C2 Plasma manufactured in July of 2010 that will not power on, it is dead in the water, no blinking led's...nothing!

I am not sure if it is supposed to "click" when plugged into the wall like some of the tv's I have come across but it doesn't even do that.

I have checked that the power cord is good and there is power going to the power board. I have not noticed any bulging caps or burn marks on the pb either. The fuses all check out for continuity. I unplugged the other boards to see if there is a shut down issue (happened on another tv I had)....again, nothing.

I did however notice that the power switch on the front of the tv does not seem to "engage" or lock in when pushed. Could this be an issue?

Thank you in advance!

wgmontgomery 01-24-12 06:00 PM

Re: Panasonic TC-P42C2 powerless

I know that this seems silly, but have you unplugged the TV for a while (~10 minutes) and tried it again? This can reset some chips that may be "locked." Also, check the manual for a reset procedure.

The power button may be an issue. Not all power switches "engage" (stay "in") when the set is on; some are soft switches that you just press-they do not stay "in."

I inferred from your post that you've taken the back off of the TV. There's high current inside that can kill you...even if the TV is unplugged. If the simple fix above doesn't work, consider a professional repair.

mvalent000 01-24-12 11:32 PM

Thanks WG,

I have unplugged and turned the tv on at least 4 to 5 times throughout my simple diagnosis....nothing.

I talked to a guy on Ebay who was selling the replacement switch and he said the same thing you did about it being a "soft" switch. He told me to check continuity with my meter by pressing the on button with my leeds on the plug...it checked out fine.

I was hoping to find something on the pb that was wrong and replace it. I ended up ordering a power board for it off Ebay. Will give an update when it arrives.

mvalent000 01-31-12 04:45 PM

Update on my Panasonic TC-P42C2 42" plasma. Did some research, talked to some people off the forum pages.

After learning the basics on checking voltages....my power board was fine.

Turns out the issue was the AV board (part # TNPH0831A).

Hope this helps someone else out.

wgmontgomery 01-31-12 07:31 PM

It's very kind of you to post the solution to your problem; it may very well help someone and save them some money.

I am very happy that you got you're set running; I love my Panny plasma.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but I'd still caution anyone against messing around inside of of TV. Even unplugged, there's enough current inside to kill you if you don't know what you're doing.

mvalent000 01-31-12 11:12 PM

Trust me, when I am playing around in the back of a tv I treat it like a loaded gun.

wgmontgomery 02-01-12 06:45 AM

Wise to do as it can kill you. Thanks again for the info!! *-)

Georgian26 06-05-12 10:50 PM

Wgmont, where did u purchase the tnph0831 board from and how much please? I have the same plasma. My tv won't turn on. There is absolutely no power anywhere.

mvalent000 06-05-12 11:42 PM

Georgian26, I purchased the board off of Ebay, (I just looked and there weren't any listed....keep checking ya never know).
You can also check ShopJimmy (just did and it's close to 100 bucks). Or just do an internet search for it.

Georgian26 06-06-12 05:58 AM

Thank you so much. I already looked at eBay before I asked you that. I initially thought The fix would of been the replace the power board , NOAB6Jk00001. That costs $39 new on eBay. I will order the av board first, then the power board. I will post my results. Thanks so much!