Philips 55PP9502 CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 02-24-09, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
scott

Philips 55PP9502 CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Hi all. Newbie here. I have a 6-7 year-old Philips 55PP9502 with some convergence issues.

On New Year's eve I noticed the "rainbows" at the upper corners of the screen and on the bottom. The green was off. On the customer menu only red and blue can be adjusted. So I got into the service menu and was able to "reset to factory defaults" which fixed the green. I was then able to line up the red and blue to the green. It lasted until a few days ago. Now I can't adjust the green at all. Same issue with it bowing up in the upper corners and bowing up in a couple of spots at the bottom. There are no other symptoms. No popping, etc.

I don't have soldering/desoldering tools so I was thinking of just ordering a whole new convergence board. I found it on the andrewselectronics website for $80.

Just I just go ahead, order it, and swap it out? Labeling the connections as I go of course. Or could this just be a bad connection? We use our TV a lot and it is getting older so I'm thinking that an IC and/or resistor has probably failed.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-24-09, 01:42 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Philips 55PP9502 CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Your thread was moved to the proper forum and renamed to maintain forum organization. This makes it possible for others to find information more easily in the future.

Before you order, verify with Andrews that you are getting the right board. You will need to be careful to record any suffixes on the model number and the complete chassis number. Be sure that it is the board with the output ICs and not the convergence generator.

We never replace boards in these units, and doing so can be problematic in Philips products due to the difficulty in making sure you have the right part numbers.

I suggest you read the first ten posts in the convergence thread that you originally posted your message in.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-24-09, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
scott

Thanks for the advice. I read most of the beginning posts on the other thread and it seemed to be about replacing ICs and resistors, something that I really don't want to get into. I don't have any soldering tools nor would I trust myself to do that type of work. Never done it before. But I'm still interested in saving hundreds in doing it myself by removing screws and plugs, if that's possible.

Yeah, I'm not sure about my complete model number. Mine might end in -99 but I'm not sure. I'll be sure to check it closely before I go this route.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-26-09, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
scott

Got one more question... I've been looking at some of the sites to which you linked in another thread listing the distributors of parts. I'm confused as to what part is the 'convergence board'. Is it typically listed as "*HDR* ASC/CTL"?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-26-09, 03:41 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I don't know. I would have to research the matter by looking through the manuals and consulting a distributor. I do not usually buy Philips boards, and when I do I usually try to verify the part numbers with a couple of sources.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-26-09, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
scott

Thanks for the help. The parts listing is pretty confusing. I know that I want to buy a convergence board but no such part is listed on any of the sites. I'm sure it's called something else but I'm not sure what at this point. I'll do more research online and make some calls to see what I can find out.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-26-09, 08:10 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Like I said, even Philips ASCs have trouble figuring out the right parts sometimes. We just fix anything we can rather than replacing.

post #8 of 21 Old 02-27-09, 09:38 AM
Shackster
ljryjj

Is there a part number or some sort printed/labeled on the circuit board that you are trying to replace? 55PP9502 and 55PP9502-99 might be different.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-27-09, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
scott

I was hoping to able to have the new part before I tore apart the TV since it's still operational at this point. So I haven't gotten the part number off the current board. But I may not be able to tell which part is actually the convergence board since I've not done this before. I'm in a catch-22 now. I wanted to find the new part, order it and get it so that when I see the old part in the set I'll know which part to remove and replace.

Is it possible to get the part number off the board without actually pulling it out of the set?
post #10 of 21 Old 02-27-09, 11:43 AM
Shackster
ljryjj

It's something like this and you won't miss it
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/...bd25f264e5.jpg

I am not able to find a service manual for your set from resouces I know(I'm not service professional though), so the circuit board is the only place I could think that may have part number information etc on PCB silk-screen or label or plastic holder