Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Still bowed picture on Philips 55pp9352 after replacing ICs

10K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  TravisS 
#1 ·
The red on my Philips projection TV went out of whack a few weeks back and I was able to diagnose my problem using great websites such as this one. The symptoms pointed to blown IC's (color dealignment, bowed picture, manual convergence menu not working) so I ordered the replacement parts from the tvrepairkits website (they said they were the Sanyo chips). I got the kit and replaced both IC's as well as all 12 resistors with some pretty clean soldering and it took care of the red convergence issue but I still have bowing from the top and bottom of my screen and in the multipoint convergence menu. Any ideas? I did some solid work on it and I think I'm close so its gonna kill me if I have to give in and pay the $350 repair bill at this point. Thanks in advance to you helpful folks out there.

Screen Television Media Display device Television set

See less See more
#3 ·
I've adjusted the multipoint convergence but I can't find how to adjust the geometrical settings on my set. I checked some of the links in the "Helpful Links" thread but it only says that the geometrical settings can be adjusted manually by setting jumpers inside the unit but I don't know where to find them or how to adjust them. Looked through all of my manuals and online resources but I can't seem to find how to adjust.

#4 ·
I am not aware of any jumpers in this unit. Everything should be done from the service mode, and I think you have to use the convergence adjustments to affect the geometry in this one. I would suggest having the correct service manual and going by that rather than more generic information you may find online.

#5 ·
Ok I accessed the SAM (Service Adjustment Mode) menu and was able to follow the service guide to set the geometrical settings to the defaults. The picture is improved but there's still definitely a bowing effect with the default numerical values from the service guide. I've tried adjusting the values to see if I can get the picture aligned and centered with something other than the default values but I can't get the picture completely straight. Also noteworthy, I don't seem to notice much happening when I adjust the "E-W Trap" setting, not sure if that's the missing link or if there's something wrong with that component.

Here's what I put in for the geometrical settings:

Text Font Line Number Design

#6 ·
There may be a problem in the pincushion circuit, but IIRC most of the correction you can do in these was in the convergence mode. You have to adjust the green to a proper grid then the red and blue to match. If you can use the geometry controls just get as much out of them as possible then do the rest in convergence. As I recall the geometry adjustment in some of these philips sets were very restricted or did not work at all. I believe that the added the digital convergence and then relied on that in some sets and eliminated some of the geometry control in the VCJ.

#7 ·
Ok, great advice so far by the way, thank you very much. I accessed the service convergence menu's and got to the green alignment grid and I think I'm on to the problem. The left/right adjustment works in the green convergence but the up/down doesn't. Does this mean I need to replace another chip? Thanks!

#10 ·
Read the convergence repair thread very carefully. Always check the resistors with the chips out of circuit, check the supplies to the chips, and check your solder work and connections very carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.