Is my philips 46pp93 0217 beyond repair? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 2 Old 06-26-10, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Is my philips 46pp93 0217 beyond repair?

I wish I found this site sooner. The red in my philips 46pp93 0217 started shaking so I thought that I would try to replace the red "lamp" (I now know it is a CRT tube) I looked online and could not find anything for that model so I tried to take it out and the coolant leaked out all over the inside of the set. After finding this site and reading some of the articles, I found the repair kit to refill the coolant (and replace the coolant in the blue which is blurry) but the question is what was the orginal problem with the red? Was it the convergance chip that went bad? I saw articles on colors bowing but not jumping. Now that I spilled the coolant all over the board what are the chances it will ever work right again? I did try to clean it up as best I could. The TV is over 7 years old and last time I had it fixed it would have cost me $400 if it had not been under warrenty. I was hoping to save money by DIY.
Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-26-10, 09:49 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Is my philips 46pp93 0217 beyond repair?

If coolant is not washed off thoroughly, it will absorb moisture from the air and severely corrode parts and the traces on the board. If it is not cleaned off of the tube exterior and gets on the yoke or the anode lead, you can get severe and dangerous arcing of high voltage.

It is possible that your original red problem was convergence related, or it could have been a problem with the CRT or the anode connection.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.