Ported how low is too low? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 40 Old 12-14-14, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Send a message via Skype™ to phazewolf
Re: Ported how low is too low?

I have and can't decide. I don't really care about size I am more likely going to be at 30cf tube that if my wife complains can be used to hide inside from her. The output is what I am thinking about and I do know there is content below even 15HZ it's just how much can I get too with a reasonable amount of drivers and avoid my wife filing paperwork to leave at the same time.

I know 2 will be fine and the cost is not too great overall at 3M distance it will give me 115db output at 12HZ and above and that is without any room gain. My current setup at 12HZ is around 90db so if get a pair of the Ftw I should be very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 12-14-14, 04:58 PM
Senior Shackster
Steeve B.

LLT Explained

The main advantage to tune lower than 20hz it to have the group delay of the port as low as possible and usually in the zone where you don't hear the sound but rather feel it only. Tuning to 12hz will indeed allow you to have the great output of ported subwoofer, you will also be able to go almost as low as best sealed subwoofer and you will have the same sound quality (often qualified by thight sounding bass). Tuning to 20hz would yield a little more output but you would also start hearing the added group delay of the port. Essentially the main advantage of LLT is not to hit 12hz because anyway there is rarely any content down there and anyway most of the bass that is felt is 40-60hz range. The advantage of tuning to 12hz is the added SQ while still gaining the extra output of the port. The disadvantage here would be the size. LLT are huge like horn subwoofer.

I would tune to 12hz like you planned and add an HPF just to be safe and don't have to bother with bottoming the subwoofer unless you have a really large room, then you might have to sacrifice some SQ and tune higher to get the extra output.
post #13 of 40 Old 12-14-14, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
John

My System
That was kind of my thoughts as well. I so want to get this started but I still need to get some 30" diameter sonotube and we'll the wood but the sub is oh so close.

This is my first build ever at least as far as speaker type of project. I know it needs to be air tight. The port is going to be somewhere between 8 to 10 inches which should keep the port speed down. For the port it's self I am going to use sonotube as well.

Anything else I need to think about?

post #14 of 40 Old 12-15-14, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
phazewolf wrote: View Post
Anything else I need to think about?
Im not going against anybody's advice, cause I don't really have extensive knowledge here, so I'm kinda asking in a way. It seems to me that an fs of 21hz, would not lend itself to a 12hz tune. I know there's way more to it than fs, but I'm wondering what T/S parameters lend to an LLT. This is from their site.
http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_ftw_21.html
Parameters are at the bottom of the page.
post #15 of 40 Old 12-15-14, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
John

My System
I have seen this driver used in this way so it will work but I understand where your coming from with that. It models ok down to that point but if I understand correctly the lower you drop below fs the more over all spl you lose.

From a 16HZ tune to a 12HZ you lose like 6 db so the cost is great but I have around 6 dB of room gain starting around 25HZ so it would work out nicely.

And we'll if it does not I can cut it down and go sealed.
post #16 of 40 Old 12-15-14, 03:14 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
But if you cut it down, how will you hide in it from your wife? Lol!
Are you gonna post build pics?
post #17 of 40 Old 12-15-14, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Well a sealed subwoofer will be a lot smaller and yes I will post pics.
post #18 of 40 Old 12-15-14, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
John

My System
It will be some time until I get a box built but here is the sub.

Ported how low is too low?-forumrunner_20141215_200212.png

That is a 2 L bottle to give you a idea on scale.
post #19 of 40 Old 12-15-14, 07:22 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Good things come to those with patience. I have been very slowly gathering parts for my builds and that has been about 1 year now. Still not ready to start building yet. So keep us updated when your ready.

Come to think of it there is another very slow build thread using a FTW and about 25cuft ported. Will have to find that thread. He is from Perth Australia I believe. There were some nice renders of the design also.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #20 of 40 Old 12-15-14, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
John

My System
I seen that thread a wile ago it did look nice. The sonotube is the thing I am having issue finding. Once I find that I can finish this in a few days.