Hair tricking with home theater? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim Lipscomb

Hair tricking with home theater?

I'm sure some of us have seen "hair-tricking" at car shows or on you tube before. Does anyone here have a home setup capable of making your hair dance? something like
(not my video, just a random example)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 08:33 AM
HTS Reviewer

Re: Hair tricking with home theater?

The point being...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim Lipscomb

The point being it is a visual proof of subwoofer capability, and it's just fun, you know like a good stereo system. Observers of the home theater hobbyists in general might wonder what the point is.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 01:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

To move that much air your going to need alot of subwoofer displacement.
Or use one of these

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 01:49 PM

Ron

My System

Yeah a car with 12000 watts is a very small area compared to a HT. I am not sure you could even do that with the amount of amplifier power it would take in a normal HT.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #6 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 01:54 PM
HTS Reviewer

Agreed, it would be extremely difficult to achieve that effect in HT. Fun demo but no guarantee it will sound any good. Build a big tapped horn sub and stick your head at the opening and you may get close. My hair's too short.

post #7 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 05:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Steeve B.

I wouldn't imagine how bad the house would scream with the amount of power required. I've heard of powerfull subwoofer setup capable of flexing wall and they still don't move hair. But it's certainly not a good thing for your house... Sure enough if your wall start flexing you have enough power.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-27-15, 10:29 PM
Shackster

My System

I believe popalock at the "other place" has achieved this. Not to that caliber but none the less hair was moving at the doorway to his theater.
Im hoping to achieve this... only have to convince the wife i need 14 more 18" dayton ho's.

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #9 of 17 Old 01-28-15, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim Lipscomb

The only hair movement I have ever detected by my subs was on my legs in shorts weather, but I do not have the endless budget some folks seem to have...
post #10 of 17 Old 01-28-15, 11:37 AM
Shackster
Sebastian

In my experience, hair movement in a vehicle doesn't start to begin until 145+ db range @ 30hz. I'm not so sure a house would be able to actually withstand that much pressure without damaging it in some way.
Also, as other people have stated, a vehicle is much smaller and therefore easier to achieve.

Also depends on the thickness of the individual's hair

In the club environment with 250,000 watts (just dedicated to bass) on multiple 18's in horn-loaded enclosures, they still cannot achieve hair tricks. Obviously the room is much larger, but I think that still would be a generalization of how difficult it is.