Rise of the Eighteens - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 137 Old 02-04-09, 08:37 PM
Senior Shackster
anthony

Re: Rise of the Eighteens

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
This is debateable, but mostly true and I would agree. However if the first three words of your sentence are removed it becomes un-true.
Maybe more important would be to define 'overall' ? And hence the reverse must be true...Driver for driver you can't submit a ported design that outperforms sealed.......overall of course!

Sonny...you already know my opinion...seal em up!!!!! Four individual boxes properly placed around the space for a smoother in room response. Have you gotten a chance to read any of Earl Geddes recent papers on the subject? Really interesting observations and results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 137 Old 02-04-09, 09:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Sorry Sonnie. My fault

Let's get back on track with Sonnie's build here and not turn this into another mind numbing sealed versus ported debate.
post #63 of 137 Old 02-04-09, 09:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System

So what are the options?

2 LLT
4 Sealed
4 IB

Correct? And this is all at one single location? If so, I choose IB, using the FI IB18's.

If IB is not an option, I like the 2, Q18 LLT idea.

As for the 4 sealed spread throughout the room, the picture on page 2 shows two subs (LLT's) up front already. If that's already there, I say duplicate those. If that's just a what-I-want-but-don't-currently-have type of picture, then I still say duplicate them (4 of the same subs) and will be all for either 4 LLT's or 4 sealed Mal-X's

post #64 of 137 Old 02-04-09, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Yes... there are two AudioPulse Axis 15's in the from powered by a pair of EP2500's and tuned to 17Hz.

For this build the location, number of drivers and type of driver is already settled on.
  • 4 Exodus Maelstrom-X (short of Kevin telling me it will be over a month before restocking at the time I get ready for them).
  • EP2500
  • LLT
  • From 10-150ft^3
  • All in the rear riser.
The only decision left is what size enclosure and what tune to go with?

Here are some various models...

post #65 of 137 Old 02-04-09, 10:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System

Sonnie, as you already know, integrating subs in different locations is key; Setting the delay, EQ ect. Integrating different subs in different locations will be even harder, but by no means impossible. I think I've forgotten, but do you have a DCX-2496? With 6 subs and it's 6 outputs, along with EQ, delay, ect... it'll be well worth the money to get one!

Now, for my .02. Since you're going with 4 Mal-X's in an LLT, you will have PLENTY of output, especially with the Axis twins upfront. That said, I would go with the largest and lowest tuned option possible. Sure, it will decrease your output in the 15-45hz area, but you have FOUR 18's! That will not be a problem.

What it will gain you is more extension and also a little more protection due to the very low tuning. Because of that low low tuning (10-12hz) I don't see a need for a subsonic filter. You'd only start running into problems 1/2 octave below tuning, and how much content is there in the single digits and also, how much power will you be giving each driver? It's not like you'll be pusing 6-800w of power (per driver) during the WOTW scene right?
post #66 of 137 Old 02-04-09, 10:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Are you planning on using filters, cause it still looks like your models are using a highpass. Really not needed - non value added.

Were it me, assuming the driver's parameters haven't changed from the first iteration, I like the looks of four discrete subs, each ~17 cubes with an 8" diameter port that is ~36" long for ~13.8hz tuning. Yes, tons of displacement on hand in which case I'd usually suggest a lower tune, but considering your subs up front are tuned to 17hz, not much point in going too terribly lower with these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #67 of 137 Old 02-04-09, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
looneybomber wrote: View Post
Sonnie, as you already know, integrating subs in different locations is key; Setting the delay, EQ ect. Integrating different subs in different locations will be even harder, but by no means impossible. I think I've forgotten, but do you have a DCX-2496? With 6 subs and it's 6 outputs, along with EQ, delay, ect... it'll be well worth the money to get one!

Now, for my .02. Since you're going with 4 Mal-X's in an LLT, you will have PLENTY of output, especially with the Axis twins upfront. That said, I would go with the largest and lowest tuned option possible. Sure, it will decrease your output in the 15-45hz area, but you have FOUR 18's! That will not be a problem.

What it will gain you is more extension and also a little more protection due to the very low tuning. Because of that low low tuning (10-12hz) I don't see a need for a subsonic filter. You'd only start running into problems 1/2 octave below tuning, and how much content is there in the single digits and also, how much power will you be giving each driver? It's not like you'll be pusing 6-800w of power (per driver) during the WOTW scene right?
I had basically this same setup with my last HT room... two subs in front corners, two subs in the rear center... with main listening position equidistant from each. No phase problems, no delay problems, hardly any response problems. It was painless to setup, although it was not without LOTS of experimenting to make sure all worked well. I anticipate basically the same results with this setup, except a LOT more woofin' goin' on.

These will be getting more like about 450-475 max power each, so it should not be too serious of a risk.

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Are you planning on using filters, cause it still looks like your models are using a highpass. Really not needed - non value added.

Were it me, assuming the driver's parameters haven't changed from the first iteration, I like the looks of four discrete subs, each ~17 cubes with an 8" diameter port that is ~36" long for ~13.8hz tuning. Yes, tons of displacement on hand in which case I'd usually suggest a lower tune, but considering your subs up front are tuned to 17hz, not much point in going too terribly lower with these.
Yeah... those are with 10Hz HPF's... just being cautious. I will probably still run one at 5Hz. The added value might be a slight decrease in distortion.

What would be the benefit of using four discrete subs vs. one enclosure with four subs, which will be much easier to build? They model the same.
post #68 of 137 Old 02-05-09, 04:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

flexibility of location.

post #69 of 137 Old 02-05-09, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Location still won't be flexible with discrete subs. The location will still be in the riser, just each sub will be sealed off from the other instead of using one larger enclosure.

I will post a floor design of the riser framing once I get to the office. I designed it at the office and did not copy it to my home laptop.
post #70 of 137 Old 02-05-09, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Here we go...