need helpwith build - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 28 Old 04-11-17, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: need helpwith build

i do movies and music equal i love loud clean bone shaking bass an enclouser size i guess uo to 10cu.ft i think i am gonna do the uktimax 15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 04-11-17, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

and can i ask why the speaker box need to be so big in a home audio
post #23 of 28 Old 04-11-17, 04:53 PM
Shackster

Toffkanda

10cuft is ideal for this driver. When you input its parameters in WinISD you discover that it wants a large box for best performance but at the same time it lacks the excursion (Xmax) to fully express its brute strength. Read this thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...er-design.html.
A 10cuft box tuned to 17hz (like the Marty design) is good but a 2nd order high pass filter at 20hz is needed to protect it from bottoming out if you are to be using it up to the rms power of 800watts.

Boxes are big in HT because of the laws of physics.
Loud, low, little; choose two.
Almost all the info you need to build your box is in that thread.
Read and then ask questions.

No man, however humble is prepared to apologize for his existence on this planet.

post #24 of 28 Old 04-12-17, 03:14 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

About the graphs I promised here goes ;
Attached Thumbnails
need helpwith build-screenshot_2017-04-12-08-57-43.jpg  

need helpwith build-screenshot_2017-04-12-08-57-58.jpg  

need helpwith build-screenshot_2017-04-12-09-10-25.jpg  

need helpwith build-screenshot_2017-04-12-09-09-31.jpg  

need helpwith build-screenshot_2017-04-12-09-09-54.jpg  

need helpwith build-screenshot_2017-04-12-09-11-01.jpg  

No man, however humble is prepared to apologize for his existence on this planet.
post #25 of 28 Old 04-12-17, 04:03 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

The first graph has nothing to do with the ultimax or the Orion, it just shows the typical flat response that most people aspire to and indeed many drivers have. You can see that all frequencies from 20hz up are of equal intensity in the absence of room effects. The ultimax has this flat response too but not enough Xmax to support it hence the need for filters to help it with higher power.
The rest of the graphs show the ultimax bold and the Orion as a faint line. The effect of crossover filters are already simulated into the graphs

The 2nd graph shows the ultimax in a 10cuft box @ 500 watts vs the Orion in a 2.25 cuft box @ 1000 watts.
There's got to be at least 6db advantage for the ultimax at 20hz. The FR also has a 3db range from 19 to 80hz. I have simulated the ultimax at 500watts in order to reduce excursion demands at the rms of 800watts. When it's at 800watts the highpass required to keep excursion under control makes it lose spl at 20hz.

The 3rd graph is with the ultimax in a 6cuft box as recommended by PE. With protective highpass on it only has 3db advantage over the Orion at 20hz and there's up to to 8db differential over the Subwoofer frequency range. The advantage however is that it can tolerate 800watts better.

Last edited by Toffkanda; 04-12-17 at 04:38 AM.
post #26 of 28 Old 04-12-17, 04:33 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

The 4th graph shows the excursion of the drivers after the highpass has been applied. The red line is the provided Xmax for the ultimax although it is said to achieve 25mm without any trouble. The filter values at the bottom belong to the ultimax in the 10cuft alignment. The Xmax of the Orion is 15mm+.

The 5th graph shows the highpass restricted port airspeeds of the alignments in question. Remember that the ultimax is at 500watts power.
The port details is at the bottom of the 2nd graph page. It can also be converted to a slot port.

The final graph shows the group delay which results from a combination of the alignment chosen and the filters applied. It reflects the promptness of the reproduction of the different frequency impulses arriving at the speaker. The levels seem acceptable to me being that this is a a sub.

post #27 of 28 Old 04-12-17, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

ok question i can have pis aka fix my speaker build that orion to suit ant need i want spec wise and any ohm load with a xmax of 22 and power handling up to 3500 watts rms i just need to know what specs you would pic do i copy the ultimax 12 if so could i do a little smaller box or is the 15 in better all around since my sub was built by tc sounds and they built the subs for bob carver sunfire 12 so it is 148 for a recone kit box size and tuning with a fs is what i kinda need
post #28 of 28 Old 04-13-17, 06:32 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

Overlord1330 I honestly do not understand what you are saying but I see that you have not made up your mind as per what you want. You keep changing the goalposts and it takes some effort each time analysing each new idea you come up with.
The best thing IMHO is for you to choose a driver, buy that driver (or firmly decide on the Orion you have) and we start to work with it.