need helpwith build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 04-01-17, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Unhappy need helpwith build

hey guys i got a sub i wanna usein my house a old orion hcca 12in dual 2 ohm made by tc sounds but i need help with the enclosure can you help
specs
re 1.11 ohms
levc1.16mH
SENSITIVITY 94.09
fs 37.3hz
qms 4.51
qes 0.40
qts0.368
bl 10.76TM
SD 76SQ.IN
VAS 1.14CU.FT
XMAS 15.2
BASKET DISPLACMENT 244CU.
can you tell me what box would work size tuning port legnth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-02-17, 08:23 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System
Re: need helpwith build

Buy a DIY Sound Group Flat pack... Buy a ported one.
post #3 of 28 Old 04-04-17, 05:08 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

From the little I see, this driver desires a small box with an fs suitable for car Audio. Though I don't know much about sealed, I suspect it may do better in a sealed alignment or with a PR. If it must be ported, it seems the largest workable box will be 2.25 to 2.5 cu ft. If it is limited to 1000 watts max at 20hz tuning it should attain max 110db. The impractical thing is is that even with a 4th order highpass at 20hz it's maximum port airspeed is barely restricted to 33m/s @19hz with a 4 in diameter port.. Fitting a 35 inch port in this small box is also a challenge except it is slotted.
A low pass LR4 at 80hz forms an ascending response curve that can complement a room to give a flat FR and you'll have f3 about 18.5hz

No man, however humble is prepared to apologize for his existence on this planet.

Last edited by Toffkanda; 04-04-17 at 06:31 AM.

post #4 of 28 Old 04-06-17, 11:21 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

If you must do a HT sub with this, I'm thinking PR because of high port airspeed
but if it must be ported then 2.25 cuft appears to give the best balance of port airspeed, group delay, flat FR and workable port length.
The tradeoff is a fairly high port airspeed (33m/s).
Like I said if you convert a 4.02in diameter port to a slot port, you get approx 1in of port height and 13in of port width.
Taking into account a total port volume (34.5in long with a half inch thick inner wall) + bracing and driver volume, you get an internal volume of about 3.25 cuft.
To create room for a port spanning only two walls and having just a single fold, a tower kind of box would be the way to go.
Suggested internal dimensions would be 13x13x33.25. The port will only climb up to 21in on the back wall. Come to think of it the port will even be substantially shorter by virtue of conversion to slot port.
How do you see this plan so far?

No man, however humble is prepared to apologize for his existence on this planet.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-07-17, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

could you recomend a driver better suited to my build ? why is port speed a problem and what exactley makes that sub a poor choice
my set up pioneer elite 7.4.2 receive dolby atmos front tower speakers jbl arena with dual 8 in drivers 3 in mid and a air motion ribbon tweeter center jbl dual 6.5 drivers air motion ribbon tweeter 4 rear speakers jbl 6.5 drivers with you guessed it air motion ribbon tweeters receiver doing 150 watts rms 6 ohm had a klipsch 13 powered sub 2 plate amps later last one toom out the driver bought a crown xls 1502 to power 1 or 2 subs
post #6 of 28 Old 04-07-17, 04:22 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

I only see it as a poor choice wrt building a ported home theatre sub. Though I can't speak with regards to PR or sealed alignment but I see that the quoted sensitivity is not correct (more like 88.25).
Drawbacks as a ported build are ;
Fairly high fs,
Fairly Low efficiency with max spl limited to 110db.
Small box with big long port and high port airspeed.
4th order filters required to try to tame both airspeed and FR affecting group delay.

Hopefully someone else will chime in as per better choice of drivers as I have limited info in this regard.

Congratulations on your obviously sophisticated HT system. If you've gone to all this effort, you need really good subs IMHO.

post #7 of 28 Old 04-07-17, 02:13 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Have a look through this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...r-amp-sub.html

It has the Orion in a 5 cu ft box tuned to 18 Hz

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-07-17, 03:12 PM
Shackster

Toffkanda

Go further down that thread and see the t/s parameters and specs. Never the same driver. Difference is night and day.
The OP's own driver is Orion 12hcca dual 2 Ohms. I wonder how many Orion 12" drivers there are. Strange!

post #9 of 28 Old 04-07-17, 03:43 PM
Shackster

Toffkanda

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...page=21#manual

I have seen the true parameters here. Robbo266317 you are very correct. I've been completely misled by the parameters listed in the opening post. Oh well.........

post #10 of 28 Old 04-07-17, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Hey guys those specs. You found -isn't. My sub it is a newer model. mine. Is. From. 1999/03 made by tc sounds a t9 motor. If. You look up. Orion hcca d12 or 12d you will. Find the. Sub sorry.