Shiva-x build for noob's first - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 105 Old 09-10-09, 01:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

What amp are you using for the sub?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 09-10-09, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

PE Dayton HSPA 500

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-806
post #93 of 105 Old 09-21-09, 12:44 AM
Tony Rox

Thumbs up Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

Congrats on a successfully finished project
Your build has caught my eye for the shiva x you used and it seems to have anot so complicated wooden enclosure.
I am in the dilemma of building a new sub for myself, but I am hesitating a lot for having no knowledge in wood working, and living far far away from the US and not having direct access to advanced drivers and eletronics where I live (Lebanon), and those items do weigh a lot which makes their shipping very expensive, any way if all goes according to plan, would probably go to the US next spring and aShiva X is on the top of my shopping list.
Just have one question though, would the shiva be as good for music?
I am still a noob in all things acoustics even though I am a music and Home Cinema amateur for years.
Learning great stuff on this forum
Great guys and I love the support and the care I see here

post #94 of 105 Old 09-21-09, 01:22 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Hi Tony,

I can guarantee a Shiva X will do wonders for your music and HT. I have to watch anything with bass content when I am alone as the "little lady" keeps getting the remote and turning the volume down.
I can only imagine what a Mal X can do......

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

post #95 of 105 Old 09-25-09, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

just an update as to what the issue was with the bottoming out noise is/was. i had forgotten that i had re-ran Audyssey in my onkyo and it set the sub eq at +5 dB. this was causing the sub to go over max excursion between 24-29 Hz.

after resetting the audyssey sub eq setting to zero, the sub performs flawlessly! i can crank the onkyo up to 75---too loud for my taste, but had to see where i could take it! there is a slight noise with the lowest booms but i believe that is the plate amp running out of juice and clipping. no worries at the comfortable level of 65 on the onkyo. the shiva rocks!
post #96 of 105 Old 09-25-09, 01:48 PM
Senior Shackster
BigPines

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post
just an update as to what the issue was with the bottoming out noise is/was. i had forgotten that i had re-ran Audyssey in my onkyo and it set the sub eq at +5 dB. this was causing the sub to go over max excursion between 24-29 Hz.

after resetting the audyssey sub eq setting to zero, the sub performs flawlessly! i can crank the onkyo up to 75---too loud for my taste, but had to see where i could take it! there is a slight noise with the lowest booms but i believe that is the plate amp running out of juice and clipping. no worries at the comfortable level of 65 on the onkyo. the shiva rocks!
That sounds promising. I wonder why Audyssey is setting the sub so loud? What kind of amp did you end up using? I'll have to take a look in prior posts. It could be the amp clipping has been the culprit all along.

Mike

Edit: I see you used the Parts Express 500 watt amp.
post #97 of 105 Old 10-02-09, 12:34 PM
Shackster
Mario

Great job on that sub, mlkmgr. I just ordered Gen1 Shiva for my future end-table sub and was wondering if there's any way I can get my hands on that Google sketch file? I'll need to play with dimensions to make it fit the size requirement for the table (leaving the overall volume the same of course), but I think I just found my design . There are a couple of questions I have though.

1. Simulation in WinISD shows that with this port size the air speed can be as high as 30 m/s. Do you hear any noise when playing at high levels?

2. Did you account for the size of the subwoofer and the amplifier when calculating the gross volume?

Overall, a job well done . Can't wait to start on mine.
post #98 of 105 Old 10-02-09, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i will dig the file out. i hope it is still here somewhere. had a hard drive crash and can't recall if i was able to save that file. give me a day or so. if not, i can whip one up pretty quick as i still have the hand sketches i did with dimensions.

answers to your questions:

1. no port noise at any volume. i even sat close the other day when playing through war of the worlds to see if i could hear anything at high volume. good to go!

2. Accounted for sub and amp when making over-all internal calculations. the sub volume was given on the manual/product sheet that accompanies the sub and the amp i simply took the 10X10X5 dimension that houses the electronics inside the box and subtracted from overall internal volume.
post #99 of 105 Old 10-02-09, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

Mario,
found the sketch-up file and sent you a pm if you still want it.
post #100 of 105 Old 10-02-09, 04:24 PM
Shackster
Mario

Thanks, I've got the file. Seems like the box is a bit bigger than I was hoping for What's your calculated net volume for the sub? Maybe I can get away with a bit smaller box. Stuffing should be able to get me 10% extra volume, right?