Shiva-x build for noob's first - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 05:43 PM
Kevin

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

This one is a little larger but easier to build because it uses the stock 4" Precision Sound Ports. What drove the choice of size, is the parameters of the driver, and the fact that this uses two full-length stock ports so it is easy to build.

I have the Google Sketchup file for anyone who wants it. Just email.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i agree that design looks a lot easier to build, but i am looking to build a slot port design. just like the look of slot ports! that and the round ports add an additional $40 to cost and keeping cost down is a priority. do you have a slot port design??

i ordered the shiva today and it will be here wednesday....now that is fast!!

Last edited by mlkmgr; 02-23-09 at 06:13 PM.
post #13 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 06:46 PM
Kevin

You know I don't and unfortunately I'm tied up for the next week where I couldn't pop them out. It isn't difficult.... I could do the napkin drawing fairly easily. I just don't have the time to CAD it.

If you do a cabinet 20" wide OD and use 0.75" material, you have a 18.5" width for the port. The other dimension to get you close to the right port area would need to be about 1.5". That gives you almost 28 inches square of port area (18.5" x 1.5" slot port). The dual 4" flared is about 25 inches sq. but has the advantage of nice flared terminations. I'd use a round over on the slot port termination and that should help and the extra area should make it roughly equivalent. It would need to be about 25-26" long assuming your inside volume is 5.5 cubic feet and your using 50% fill (5lb. box from WalMart). That gives you a 20Hz tune and if you use a subsonic filter around 18Hz you get awesome in-room output with a 500W amp.

With OD of 20" wide, 26" deep, 27" tall you should be able to hit that and have room for a cross brace internally. That will be a HEAVY box but it will be a beast.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

post #14 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 06:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
external dimensions 21.5x25.5x25.5
Then the slot port would be 20" x 1.25" x 25.75" long to tune the cabinet to 20 hz. The port takes up .8 cu.ft and allow of .2 cu.ft for the sub and bracing. The net volume of the box is 5.6 cu.ft. Maximum port air speed would be 21 m/s. You would have to round over all edges and bends in the port to maximize air flow.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #15 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

is the port speed too high? i thought i had read that 17 m/s was the acceptable speed, but perhaps that was only with round ports? also, is this enough internal volume? thanks.
post #16 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 10:50 AM
Kevin

Your fine.... you are modeling it at the limits. The models don't take into account any of the driver compression (BL, CMS & power) and in reality, you just don't use a sub at it's limits continuously unless you are playing test tones.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #17 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i know you said at "it's limits", but is this a bad thing? would i be better off building a smaller enclosure? sorry for the many questions, but i like to have all questions answered before i begin anything. saves for less headaches later. thanks again.
post #18 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 01:02 PM
Kevin

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post
i know you said at "it's limits", but is this a bad thing? would i be better off building a smaller enclosure? sorry for the many questions, but i like to have all questions answered before i begin anything. saves for less headaches later. thanks again.
No... you are building it right. By at "it's limits" I'm referring to the port noise. You don't get problems until you are at the limits of the amplifier. That means that under normal use you won't be getting into noise problems from the port.

Drive on.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #19 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

thanks for your help kevin! will the dayton 500W plate amp be sufficient (too much or too little power) for the box i am proposing? i am sure there will be additional questions, but these are the ones at the top of my head at the moment.
post #20 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 01:23 PM
Kevin

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post
thanks for your help kevin! will the dayton 500W plate amp be sufficient (too much or too little power) for the box i am proposing? i am sure there will be additional questions, but these are the ones at the top of my head at the moment.
No...it is about perfect. You want the system to be power limited because if you have enough power on tap to mechanically damage the sub, you may eventually do so. The 500W amp works well because it gives you plenty of headroom & output and it will clip before you smoke the driver. The clipping sounds bad and you will turn it down.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio