Shiva-x build for noob's first - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

here is the attempted sketch-up i tried of the box. please critique as necessary. i am not 100% set on what type of internal bracing will be utilized, but it will be something along those lines.
still learning to use sketch-up so please dont laugh!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 05:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You're better at SketchUp then I am! The net volume will be 5.9 cu.ft tuned to 21 hz. Looks good!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #23 of 105 Old 02-24-09, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i made adjustments for the internal bracing to have 4 "windows" in the brace and used the box calculator here on the site. i came up with a final calculation of 6.243 cu.ft.
is there a tune calculator on this site?
with WinISD i modeled the box to have a tune of 18 Hz by making the slot port 1x19x17.5. This gave a mach speed of .13
i am driving myself crazy with all these calculations, but i believe these are final......i think.

post #24 of 105 Old 02-25-09, 12:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I went by the diagram shown above and subtracted for the bracing, the port and the sub. The outside width is 21.5" and the diagram shows an inside width of 19", it should be 20" if you're using 3/4" material.

We're all in this together!

post #25 of 105 Old 02-25-09, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

here are the final dimension of the box with the correct numbers---thanks Mike for pointing that out!

final dimensions are 21.5W x 25.5H x 26.5L with a slot port of 20W x 1H x 19L. This gave a net volume of 6.062 cu.ft. after subtracting for port, bracing, driver, and amp. the box will be tuned to 18Hz.

my head is ready to explode after all of this, but i know it will be well worth it in the end!!
post #26 of 105 Old 02-25-09, 02:00 PM
Kevin

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post

here are the final dimension of the box with the correct numbers---thanks Mike for pointing that out!

final dimensions are 21.5W x 25.5H x 26.5L with a slot port of 20W x 1H x 19L. This gave a net volume of 6.062 cu.ft. after subtracting for port, bracing, driver, and amp. the box will be tuned to 18Hz.

my head is ready to explode after all of this, but i know it will be well worth it in the end!!
Keep me up to date on the build. I'm thinking of making a repository on the site for builds and I'd like to have Sketch Up files to give future builders options.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #27 of 105 Old 02-27-09, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

the subwoofer is showing up today via UPS. is there anywhere / anything i should inspect for damage? i trust my UPS driver, but am unsure of the other stops in between the chain of delivery. this is the first sub i have ever ordered, so if there are known areas to double check that someone can point out, it would be much appreciated!!!
post #28 of 105 Old 02-27-09, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

can i plug the amp in and give the sub a "test run" --not at loud volume-- to ensure the amp and sub work in tandem or is this not a good idea?
post #29 of 105 Old 02-27-09, 09:38 AM
Senior Shackster
BigPines

Quote:
can i plug the amp in and give the sub a "test run" --not at loud volume-- to ensure the amp and sub work in tandem or is this not a good idea?
Yes, this should be fine. Keep the volume all the way down when you first start off and increase the volume slowly. You just need to make sure you don't exceed the maximum mechanical excursion of the driver. I would keep the volume moderate during this kind of testing. Oh, and don't touch the terminal leads if you are putting any amount of power to the driver. It could be a shocking experience.
post #30 of 105 Old 02-27-09, 09:40 AM
Senior Shackster
BigPines

Quote:
the subwoofer is showing up today via UPS. is there anywhere / anything i should inspect for damage? i trust my UPS driver, but am unsure of the other stops in between the chain of delivery. this is the first sub i have ever ordered, so if there are known areas to double check that someone can point out, it would be much appreciated!!!
I have seen pictures of the packing and it looks very good. If there is no damage to the box, you should be fine. If you have reason to think there could be damage to the driver, I'm sure Kevin would be able to help you test it. Keep us updated!

Mike