Shiva-x build for noob's first - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 105 Old 02-27-09, 11:37 AM
Kevin

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

Really, if there is no physical damage there is nothing to worry about. Sometimes we get a coil/former rub but that is more because the settling of the suspension over time. It may test fine on the assembly line but once it sets for a couple months time or if there is a slight pressure on the cone/suspension you can develop a rub.

If it has such a rub it is obvious because it makes a continuous scratching noise under use. It is pretty easy to make a subwoofer rub by just putting a little pressure unevenly on the cone. In free-air testing it is very easy. In a box, the internal air pressure on the cone is evenly distributed and actually helps in centering. What rubs a little in free-air can correct itself when put in an enclosure if the rub is very minor.

If there is a rub that doesn't correct itself under the first couple minutes of use in the enclosure (not free air), then we replace it as a warranty item. I'd say this is less than 1% of subs though and I don't think it is shipping damage related. It is just one of those things that you cannot catch 100% in assembly.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 Old 03-01-09, 07:22 PM
Shackster
joe

my box's were beat up but the packing was great and the woofers unscathed. you are going to be very happy!
post #33 of 105 Old 03-08-09, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

everything arrived perfectly. i haven't had a chance to "test" anything yet, but i am sure it is fine. quick question though.

will the .75" MDF be sufficient to support the sub in the enclosure? i don't want to place undue stress on the front of the box because the sub is too heavy. in other words, what is the best way to mount this subwoofer into the box?

post #34 of 105 Old 03-08-09, 10:47 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

When I built my sealed sub useing the Shiva x I used 3/4 mdf and with an inside baffle to mount the sub to it is more than strong enough.
post #35 of 105 Old 03-11-09, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

inside baffle meaning 2 pieces of mdf glued together for the front? i am still not up to speed on building lingo
as you can see on the sketch-up, i only used one 3/4" mdf piece for the front.
what type of mounting hardware is typically used? standard wood screws or something similar? still waiting on nicer weather to begin...
post #36 of 105 Old 03-11-09, 06:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post
inside baffle meaning 2 pieces of mdf glued together for the front? i am still not up to speed on building lingo
as you can see on the sketch-up, i only used one 3/4" mdf piece for the front.
what type of mounting hardware is typically used? standard wood screws or something similar? still waiting on nicer weather to begin...
3/4" MDF is plenty, you don't need to make a double baffle in my opinion, although one upside with a "double baffle" is that you can flush mount the driver.

Standard wooden screws work fine! Easy to just rotate the driver and use new holes if something goes wrong during mounting.
post #37 of 105 Old 03-11-09, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

with this being my first (but probably not my last!!) build, i am not too concerned with flush mounting the woofer this time around. it will be located in a dark dedicated room so even my potential flaws can be "hidden".

last question for now, how far back should the internal bracing be from the back of the woofer--if it matters. thanks for the continued help!
post #38 of 105 Old 03-12-09, 02:49 AM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post
with this being my first (but probably not my last!!) build, i am not too concerned with flush mounting the woofer this time around. it will be located in a dark dedicated room so even my potential flaws can be "hidden".

last question for now, how far back should the internal bracing be from the back of the woofer--if it matters. thanks for the continued help!
4 inches should be enough, if you're using the bracing on the picture in the post above.
post #39 of 105 Old 03-21-09, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

I increased the overall width by an inch to achieve a 6.35 cu ft box for this build.
what is the minimum clearance distance in between cuts of MDF? or will it simply vary upon blade width?

I have completed the cut-outs using sketch-up and will hopefully get started soon. the mdf i will be picking up from lowes measures .75 X 49 X 97 inches. work and school taking up any free time i have at the moment.
post #40 of 105 Old 03-23-09, 11:19 AM
Kevin

Usually the edges are dinged up a little on the raw MDF sheet so I try to use a fresh table saw cut for my part edges. The kerf is the width of the saw blade plus a little more if your blade isn't aligned. I tend to leave enough space between pieces so that I can have a fresh cut on all parts. Do a rough cut on all parts and then a final cut, once the parts are at a more manageable size. I cut all parts of the same dimension at the same time. For example, if you have several parts that have a 25.5" dimension, I make all those cuts at the same time. That way they are all cut to exactly the same dimension. You don't have to re-set the table saw fence for each cut and you maximize accuracy.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio