Shiva-x build for noob's first - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 105 Old 04-15-09, 03:20 PM
Senior Shackster
BigPines

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

Just for kicks, I tried to push the tune down to 17Hz with medium fill and you don't have enough depth in the cabinet for that anyway as the port then exceeds 26". Like I said, just build it with a port length somewhere in the realm of 20" to 23" and you will be happy!

Keep us updated!

Mike

Last edited by BigPines; 04-15-09 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 Old 04-15-09, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

will do. i am hoping to begin some progress on the build this evening. my wife is even beginning to ask if i am ever going to get "that thing" done. thanks again for your help Mike!
post #63 of 105 Old 04-15-09, 03:33 PM
Senior Shackster
BigPines

Oh no, when the wife calls your new sub "that thing", it is never good. Trust me on this.

Better get busy.

Mike

post #64 of 105 Old 04-15-09, 05:16 PM
Senior Shackster
BigPines

FYI, based on the following post: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post162455 1 lb per sq.ft is 100% fill.

If this is true, with your cabinet's internal volume of 6.8 cu.ft, that would equate to approximately 109 oz of fill for 100% so 50 oz is only 50% fill or probably considered "typical" like we thought.

Mike
post #65 of 105 Old 04-20-09, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i started to piece the monster together, but had to leave for a conference in SD for most of the week. crazy, after 8.5 hour drive, i was still thinking about the half assembled box sitting in my basement!! OCD...

after beginning assembling, i realize some newb mistakes were made. i should have designed the box to be assembled in a different manner and i should have measured the width of the mdf before making cuts. second sheet i purchased was over 3/4" and threw some of the alignment of the other pieces off. i took some typical pics of assembly. clamps, make shift ways to compress the mdf together--ie:weight plates and dumbbells. i will post the pics when i get back home and get the sub finished.

as far as poly-fill is concerned, can i just pick up a pillow or two from wal-mart? any particular one, or is it just based on weight? i assume i remove the plastic wrapper? (probably obvious, but i have to ask!! LOL) finally, is there a better place to stuff the pillows over another? this is going to drive me crazy knowing it is just waiting at home....
post #66 of 105 Old 04-20-09, 07:17 PM
Kevin

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post
i started to piece the monster together, but had to leave for a conference in SD for most of the week. crazy, after 8.5 hour drive, i was still thinking about the half assembled box sitting in my basement!! OCD...

after beginning assembling, i realize some newb mistakes were made. i should have designed the box to be assembled in a different manner and i should have measured the width of the mdf before making cuts. second sheet i purchased was over 3/4" and threw some of the alignment of the other pieces off. i took some typical pics of assembly. clamps, make shift ways to compress the mdf together--ie:weight plates and dumbbells. i will post the pics when i get back home and get the sub finished.

as far as poly-fill is concerned, can i just pick up a pillow or two from wal-mart? any particular one, or is it just based on weight? i assume i remove the plastic wrapper? (probably obvious, but i have to ask!! LOL) finally, is there a better place to stuff the pillows over another? this is going to drive me crazy knowing it is just waiting at home....
You can use pillows, remove the plastic. Base it on weight and you don't necessarily have to have the exact amount. I few ounces here nor there will make much difference.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #67 of 105 Old 04-23-09, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

about how many pillows will this equate to? and what type of pillow? i believe there are multiple varieties of pillows and none state the weight of pillow.
post #68 of 105 Old 04-23-09, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

and based upon my design, where would the best spot to place a pillow or two? should i just let them rest in there or should i use some type of adhesive to secure them? thanks again.....
post #69 of 105 Old 04-25-09, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i found 20oz poly-fill bags at walmart for $2.67. cheaper than the pillows i had already purchased. i am going to stuff, seal and fire the sub up this afternoon. will post back results later.
post #70 of 105 Old 04-25-09, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i got my camera to transfer pics finally. here is what i have to date. working on it here as soon as i finish posting. this is my first build so please don't laugh!!!

***i used my dremel to round over the edge of the slot port. no router or i would have used that.***

i will post some more pics once i get the sub completed.