Shiva-x build for noob's first - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 105 Old 04-26-09, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

got it all pieced together earlier. cuts were off on final side piece. brother in law made those cuts. next time, i will do it all on my own. i just couldn't justify the cost of jigsaw, circular saw, and router for one speaker. i regret that decision now!! i just ended up gluing, clamping, and using some nails to hold it down. i let the glue dry for about 3 hours before i did anything with it.

not sure as to what the amp (dayton 500 plate amp with eq from PE) settings should be at. many different options for the settings i am not too sure of?? hopefully someone here can chime in and let me know.

Last edited by mlkmgr; 04-26-09 at 02:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 105 Old 04-26-09, 02:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

What did the net volume and tuning frequency end up being?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #73 of 105 Old 04-26-09, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

Quote:
BigPines wrote: View Post
Well, here is what I come up with...

Using the typical fill option, I get 22.92" as the necessary port length at 1" x 21" to tune to 18Hz.

Even considering the extra wood needed to make the port that length, I come up with a net internal cabinet volume of 6.8 cu.ft.

Mike
based upon Mike's calculations in bass box pro, i have an internal volume of 6.85 cu ft with a tune of 18Hz using "typical" fill of ~50oz.

when i used the box calculator here on the site i had a net volume of 6.35 cu ft and using winisd i calculated an 18Hz tune as well.

the only discrepency is in the box volume depending upon what program you use.

post #74 of 105 Old 04-26-09, 04:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Modeling shows your sub to have an excellent frequency response to begin with, with room gain you should have a flat response down to 20 hz. Using REW would show you exactly how the sub is performing. For the EQ settings set the Frequency to 18 hz, the Bandwidth control to 1 and the Level to 0. To boost the low end a bit you can set the Level to a maximum of +2, more then that and the amp runs out of power and will clip.

We're all in this together!

post #75 of 105 Old 04-27-09, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i adjusted the amp as you stated and lowered the settings in the avr from +4 to zero. i have yet to rerun audysey on my onkyo. will do that in the next couple of days. initial impressions are good. this sub shakes the house with ease and provides plenty of bass for any occasion. i only use this for movies so i did not sample any music. i am quite happy to have my first diy sub under my belt. learned quite a bit from the experience. i will post pics here in a minute to show the final stages of assembly.

thanks to all those that helped and provided information in regards to this build. i would still be stuck with pieces of mdf without you!!
post #76 of 105 Old 04-27-09, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

here are the final assembly photos. the sub is not finished yet. i plan to route the edges once i purchase a router and just paint it black. you will see in the photos that the last side came up short. some of my internals were slightly longer than the outside edges to i just clamped glued and slapped some nails in the coffin to help hold it together. the short and nailed side are now the bottom of the sub to help conceal my mistakes. i had originally planned the slot port to be on the bottom, but the side slot looks ok to me.

***other half of slot port added***

***sealing the insides and added glue for the final piece***

***final side added***

***nails to help hold the side down***

***final side about ~1/4" short***

***poly-fill added below the amp***

***sub added, mission complete.....for now***

***front of sub***

***top of sub***

as you can see this box is pretty big. i loaded it onto a blanket and dragged it to the dedicated room. didn't dare attempt to lift this. i will post additional pics once i route the edges and paint it. until then, thanks again to everyone
post #77 of 105 Old 04-27-09, 07:17 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Looking good.
A 3/8th roundover bit should easily cover up that mistake.
post #78 of 105 Old 04-28-09, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

another question: is it ok for the sub to be sitting on the carpeted floor or should i get it up off the floor with feet or something? thanks again...
post #79 of 105 Old 04-28-09, 04:45 PM
Senior Shackster
BigPines

Quote:
mlkmgr wrote: View Post
another question: is it ok for the sub to be sitting on the carpeted floor or should i get it up off the floor with feet or something? thanks again...
I say it is fine to have it sitting directly on the carpet but I am sure others will disagree. I have never been much of a believer in (sub feet = better sound).

Mike
post #80 of 105 Old 04-28-09, 04:52 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Good job! You got it done with minimal tools: very impressive. Tools are a good investment as they will not only make it easier/faster, but nicer if you have it more visible-for WAF. (That's what I'm telling mine )