Shiva-x build for noob's first - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 105 Old 04-30-09, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

considered purchasing new tools but decided to go with used. picked up a router and a jig saw and some bits for under $100 total. i am sure i could have purchased better, but i couldn't justify the costs of "better" when i don't plan to continuously build items. i purchased the "recession buster" kit from madisound awhile back. will be my next little project while on break from school while also finishing up the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 105 Old 09-09-09, 01:28 PM
Senior Shackster
Ant

so any idea how this build ended up? im really interested in tryn the slot ported shiva as my first build
post #83 of 105 Old 09-09-09, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

wow 4 months ago!! i got to hear the sub initially for a couple of flicks. sounds AMAZING!!! shakes my whole house. upon completion i simply sanded a couple rough edges/joints and painted the entire sub flat black. no port noise and the 500W PE amp works flawlessly as well.

BIG box, but i just completed my expansion of the HT room this afternoon. added riser and a 3 section couch, flipped the room, and cut out a whole in the wall for the equipment. still in the process of cleaning up the little things. still need to build the equipment room. right now just sticking out of the wall.

reconnected the sub and placed between the center and left front speaker--about the only spot it will fit!! and watched meet the robinsons and jumper. no regrets on the choice of sub, design, or amp choice. considered the smaller box design on the website but the smaller amp i was considering did not offer the subsonic filter needed.

hope this helps you out. anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

post #84 of 105 Old 09-09-09, 04:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I got one. Where's a pic of the completed sub? This build thread ain't complete without it!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #85 of 105 Old 09-09-09, 07:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Ant

so what did the final measurements end up being? and did you get to measure the results?
post #86 of 105 Old 09-09-09, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i will get the pic up asap. i should note that the sub on occasion sounds like it is bottoming out??

the settings i used are as follows: freq just above ~19 Hz, Bandwith contol 1 and the level 0, and the gain at 1. LFE just a tad below 105.

just when the volume is up around 65 on my onkyo 605 does the sub appear to bottom out. i was watching quantum of solace and the best way to describe was it sounded like the sub hit something solid. i jumped up to turn the volume down quickly and played the same scene over at a volume setting of 55. no problems then, but the overall volume seemed to low. not sure if my settings on the amp are incorrect or what. i ran audyssey through the onkyo and it set the dB at +3 on the sub.
post #87 of 105 Old 09-10-09, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i went on Kevin's website and see the literature for the shiva has changed since i purchased it. it now states the box would be tuned to 22Hz. could this be the issue i am having? should i turn the amp freq up to 22?

i know when i purchased the sub, all literature included and what was on the website stated an 18Hz tuning. this is what i modeled in win-isd and what mike (big pines) modeled as well. would this affect the current performance given my size of box and slotted port?
post #88 of 105 Old 09-10-09, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

ok here are the final pics. speakers and subs need a good dusting/wipe down. room not 100% complete, but had to fire everything up!!

***front of sub***

***front angle***

***screen wall***

***sub position***
post #89 of 105 Old 09-10-09, 10:00 AM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

what does it sound like?

good looking sub
post #90 of 105 Old 09-10-09, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

Quote:
fackamato wrote: View Post
what does it sound like?

good looking sub
like a sub!!

sounds good other than issue i listed above with the volume at 65+. need to tweak it some more to help eliminate what i believe is the sub to be bottoming out. i watched some movies and played some blues music on it and was in awe with the sound. room could use some acoustical treatment, but that is for another day....