Shiva-x build for noob's first - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

Shiva-x build for noob's first

after researching and taking the suggestions of members at another forum, i decided to proceed with a 20x24x24 (WxLxH) slot port (20x22.6x1.5) tuned to 20Hz. i am going to power the sub with a dayton 500W plate amp given i have no eq. i will be documenting my build once i get it up and running. need to order everything first and waiting for nicer weather...hopefully in the next few weeks.

do these dimensions sound about right? i modeled them in WinISD and just want to be sure before i begin. what type, if any, internal bracing would be needed for this sub? as stated, this will be my very first build and am hoping for good results.

any thoughts for a first time builder or other potential issues i should be made aware of? thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 03:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

Are those outer dimensions? What's the material thickness?

Looking forward to some photos
post #3 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

yes those are the outer dimensions. was considering 3/4" MDF. trying to keep the cost down per WAF.

post #4 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 04:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

That's gonna give you great extension, probably getting you the most out of the driver as possible. (you might tune it even lower) Also see Kevin's design notes; http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/shiva_app.pdf
post #5 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

looking at pdf, i see i could realistically tune the box to 18Hz. What would be the benefit or would this tuning be better considering the dayton 500W amp i am going to use? thanks for the input!
post #6 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

i would link to the amp but need more posts.
post #7 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 04:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

I'm not so familiar with that amp, I'd wait for someone else to make a comment

How big is the room that you are placing the sub in? Any big openings to other rooms?
post #8 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

room is 19x10.5x9. no openings to any other areas. this sub will only be used as an HT sub.
post #9 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 04:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

20x24x24 external is 18.5 x 22.5 x22.5 internal. That gives you 5.4 cu.ft. To tune it to 20 hz with a slot port the full width of the box and 1.5 inches high means the port has to be 41 inches long. The port would take up one cu.ft. so the box is now 4.4 cu.ft. The port air speed with the amp your considering (3rd order HPF at 18hz) would be 14 m/s. The same performance can be had with a slot port 9 x 2 by 21.5 inches long. The port airspeed would increase to 25 m/s which is under 26 m/s where port compression starts.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #10 of 105 Old 02-23-09, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rudy

ok, maybe i am understanding this incorrectly. i modeled the box in WinISD, but perhaps my understanding of that program is not a great as i thought!! would i be better off increasing all lengths of the enclosures by 1.5"; making the external dimensions 21.5x25.5x25.5? this would allow me to keep the slot port the full length of the box at 25.5 and still be 1.25" high correct?

and HERE is the link to the amp.