Budget friendly driver for 500mm cube - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-19, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Budget friendly driver for 500mm cube

Hey guys, so budget is a limiting factory for my build its a 500mm cube I don't mind ported or sealed but need sub 30hz(my mains comfortably get to about 35 before they roll off too steep)

I am in the UK so somthing available here would help as I would have to spend on shipping & import duties.

Hopefully somthing around the £150 mark. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-19, 11:16 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System
Re: Budget friendly driver for 500mm cube

You are in the heart of driver heaver with the French "Focal" driver and/or Cabasse, Seas, Dynaudio, Morel, Audex etc etc.
a net search for these will reveal many more. The above areall exceptional drivers.

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-19, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Quote:
Gregr wrote: View Post
You are in the heart of driver heaver with the French "Focal" driver and/or Cabasse, Seas, Dynaudio, Morel, Audex etc etc.
a net search for these will reveal many more. The above areall exceptional drivers.
Thakn you, can you recommend any specific drivers for the lowest output please?

post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-19, 10:18 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Canít comment on specific drivers for your availability but youíll definitely want ported. Sealed subs can take as many as 4 to equal the output around the tuning point of a ported subwoofer. This also comes with extra distortion, excursion, heat and power demands. If you look at TS parameters pay attention to FS. Itís the free air resonance of the driver and tuning a box below that reduces efficiency and the driver has to work very hard the deeper it plays.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-19, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Canít comment on specific drivers for your availability but youíll definitely want ported. Sealed subs can take as many as 4 to equal the output around the tuning point of a ported subwoofer. This also comes with extra distortion, excursion, heat and power demands. If you look at TS parameters pay attention to FS. Itís the free air resonance of the driver and tuning a box below that reduces efficiency and the driver has to work very hard the deeper it plays.
Thanks you . I was looking at automotive drivers but been advised against?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-19, 10:27 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
CraigRobbo wrote: View Post
Thanks you . I was looking at automotive drivers but been advised against?

I would recommend against as well(not sure who told you first but I agree). Iím not so well versed in sub design to comment on every driver but automotive drivers are made for high spl in and above the 30hz range. Theyíre usually High Q and not as well controlled by the motor/magnet. People have definitely used car drivers for a long time and even reported great success. Iíve never heard one though that was really awesome. I think their are some with decent specs, just canít think of them off hand. In any case, you kinda get what you pay for. Youíre in the U.K.? Iíd guess the listening space would be a little smaller and on suspended floor? In that case, a nice 12Ē driver would probably work nice. Possibly a pair of 10ís if they spec good enough. Two subs will also help with a smoother response.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-19, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Quote:
I would recommend against as well(not sure who told you first but I agree). Iím not so well versed in sub design to comment on every driver but automotive drivers are made for high spl in and above the 30hz range. Theyíre usually High Q and not as well controlled by the motor/magnet. People have definitely used car drivers for a long time and even reported great success. Iíve never heard one though that was really awesome. I think their are some with decent specs, just canít think of them off hand. In any case, you kinda get what you pay for. Youíre in the U.K.? Iíd guess the listening space would be a little smaller and on suspended floor? In that case, a nice 12Ē driver would probably work nice. Possibly a pair of 10ís if they spec good enough. Two subs will also help with a smoother response.
Thank you, I did have a 10 and it was just a little undeerwhelming although it couldve just been a bad driver, struggled below 30hz, maybe a 12 would be better suited
post #8 of 13 Old 09-18-19, 10:49 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
CraigRobbo wrote: View Post
Thank you, I did have a 10 and it was just a little undeerwhelming although it couldve just been a bad driver, struggled below 30hz, maybe a 12 would be better suited

Lots of factors involved but I would be inclined to agree.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-19, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Quote:
Lots of factors involved but I would be inclined to agree.
I have the space for a 500 cube so happy to utilize that space for what ever is best drive to box size, i think a 15 maybe a tad big in this enclosure?

12 might be more suited?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-19, 10:53 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

How big is the room?