Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

15" vented end tables!

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  T-Dub 
#1 ·
I should have taken more pictures of this build, but I did most of the assembly in a hurry one night after the rest of the family was in bed. Anyway, I had a full marty with a Dayton classic 15 that sounded amazing but I was suffering from massive room gain in one corner and the inability to relocate the marty because of its size. I decided to make a pair of end tables each with a down-firing Dayton Classic 15 powered with an Inuke 1000DSP. One of my concerns was making sure that I could set things on them without spilled drinks and broken lamps. I made them out of Maple plywood and Poplar face frames / legs and stained with dark walnut Minwax penetrating stain and finished with poly. I then inserted the top with a piece of Quartz, which works in my favor for extra weight to keep the vibrations to a minimum. They have a volume of 4.25 cubic feet and are tuned to 18Hz. Of course everything is glued together, braced and probably over built for what they are. Once I got them tuned with some EQ, they sound amazing. I have the corner loaded sub turned down about 8db and they blend very well. When they go low, they really shake the couch more than I imagined. The end of the couch that is away from the corner was the area that had about a 10db drop compared to sitting in the corner seat with the full marty in front of it. Now you get the full experience anywhere on the couch. I am not putting much power to them, but I think that I benefit from a ton of room gain with my couch directly against the wall. I know that everyone says that two subs are better than one, and I really am seeing the benefits now. Thanks to everyone on here who has helped me through both of my builds. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow, they look great!

#6 ·
Those end tables came out nice as h3ll!

#7 ·
Dude!!!!
I have to hand it to you. They look great as in they absolutely disappear in the room. I bet that room is quite the “sleeper” haha. Friends sit down expecting a movie & BOOM they are smack dab in the explosion!! Hey if you are happy with the performance & sound that’s all that matters.
I tip my hat to you sir

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.