Shiva X Extended Bass Shelf - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Shiva X Extended Bass Shelf

I have a pair of Shiva X's which I am going to use in my new three way speaker system (when we get the new house built) & I was wondering if they could be used in an extended bass shelf design.
I don't listen to music or movies at high levels but would like to get a bit deeper bass.
My current amp is the Pioneer VSX 710 and I rarely get it above -45.

This is what I was thinking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 05:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Shiva X extended bass shelf

It would definitely work. What will you power the Shiva-X's with? Have you figured out the dimensions of the box to see how big that is?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

The pioneer has a sub amp built in, mono only, with adjustable gain for all speakers.
It's only a stop gap measure to utilise these till we get the new place built with dedicated room,
The pioneer is 120 Watt per channel. I tried to get it tuned as low as possible as I don't know if the amp has any LPF built in to prevent over-excursion.
As for the box, I have no real plans yet, I would consider getting a sonotube to minimize footprint.
A large box won't fit in the room as it is. I had contemplated using the fireplace and chimney.... but a sonotube may be the best bet as we currently have ten foot ceilings.

Last edited by robbo266317; 03-30-09 at 06:15 AM.

post #4 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 06:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You mean a high pass filter, you probably won't be needing one with this setup. If you're planning for future use, the sub will handle 360 watts with Xmax being reached at just under 12 hz. Porting will have to be a 6 inch diameter to keep the air speed down. SpL is 107 db in the 13 - 20 hz range, plus room gain.

Shiva X Extended Bass Shelf-shiva-x-spl.jpg
Shiva X Extended Bass Shelf-shiva-x-xmax.jpg
Shiva X Extended Bass Shelf-shiva-x-port.jpg

post #5 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Re: Shiva X Extended Bass Shelf

Thanks Mike,
That was what I was aiming for.

HPF... LPF... It's late - 10:30, I've had several glasses of a very nice hunter shiraz

Until I found this forum I hadn't realised that you could buy the "sonotubes" even though I had seen them on building sites. I must download the software and have a play.
Is there a height from the floor that they need to be based on driver size?
post #6 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 10:29 AM
Kevin

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
Thanks Mike,
That was what I was aiming for.

HPF... LPF... It's late - 10:30, I've had several glasses of a very nice hunter shiraz

Until I found this forum I hadn't realised that you could buy the "sonotubes" even though I had seen them on building sites. I must download the software and have a play.
Is there a height from the floor that they need to be based on driver size?
You just need a box big enough to fit the port. Tuning it low with a large port requires long lengths.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #7 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
You just need a box big enough to fit the port. Tuning it low with a large port requires long lengths.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Thanks Kevin.

Mike, how did you save your winisd plots? they are much clearer than mine.
I did a screen shot and pasted in Adobe Photoshop and changed the resolution to 800x600 then jpeg'd them.
post #8 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 03:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Paste the screen shot in Paint. Select and cut the part you want and paste into a new Paint window. Save as a jpeg. Open you Pictures folder and resize the pic to "small" with Image Resizer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx

post #9 of 52 Old 03-30-09, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

I have been looking at the Sonosub software and it has the option of a top cap over the port, is this just to keep things from falling in or does it help with the sound?
post #10 of 52 Old 03-31-09, 05:44 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

It's just for looks and port protection.